1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 9:03 PM by njadobe2

Flex Hero to be based on the next version of Flash :(

Adam Reynolds

Hi,

Unsure if other people have seen this:

http://iamdeepa.com/blog/?p=68

I am extremely concerned that the next version of Flex will not be capable of running on Flash 10.1

As Flex Hero is replacing the Flex Slider mobile platform, this means that all Android 2.2 devices (e.g. the just announced Galaxy Tab et al) will not be capable of running Flex Hero applications.

I know Adobe like to push the envelope, but this really stinks.

Can the Flex development team seriously consider making the next version of Flex capable of running on Flash 10.1

Delivery of Flex applications to mobile devices is becoming a key business decision, and and with various mobile operators still not upgrading their phones to Android 2.2 (with some saying it is still months away), I can't see the next version of Flash being available on these devices for a very long time.

Adam

• 1. Re: Flex Hero to be based on the next version of Flash :(
          njadobe2 Adobe Employee

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing your concerns on this. However, I’d like to clarify one point: Mobile applications built with Flex “Hero” will run on Android 2.2 devices.

The new mobile development features we’re adding to Flex “Hero” are targeted at building standalone installed applications, which we think are the most natural target for Flex, rather than in-browser applications. As a result, mobile applications you build with Hero will run using the Adobe AIR runtime, not Flash Player. And the upcoming release of AIR for Android (which is currently in prerelease and due to ship later this year) will indeed run on Android 2.2 (“Froyo”), so you (and your users) won’t have to wait for another OS update to use it.

Thanks,

nj