20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 12:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Houston...we may have a problem...

shooternz Level 6

Work I did to day in PPRO CS5 does not seem happy  to "work" properly since I did the update to 5.0.02 late in the afternoon.

Basically ...I have a whited out screen and no control of the UI.  Project is P2 mxf , 720p source dominated, plus psd graphics

This is an early alert and I will re-start it again in the morning to try and give more info. if  it does not resolve by itself ( after resting)

I go to bed tonight hoping its an "abberation" ( and also if there is a way to roll back the update if required)

• 1. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Craig,

I can't confirm or refute your statement, for the simple reason that the patch does not install at all here.

2-9-2010 10-13-27.png

The strange thing is that not only my PC has this problem, but this was also reported by a MAC user.

My guess is that with the time pressure to come out with the update, there may be some slight problems. Let us know what you find out after your well deserved nights rest.

• 2. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
            SiliconPixel Level 1

Mmm, that's odd.

No problems here so far - installed OK on two PC's and just 10 minutes or so of editting so far seems OK.

• 3. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
              Thrill Media Level 2

Mine installed properly and works fine with two previous projects, an EX1 project and an HMC150 project.  I don't have any P2 footage to work with. Also, both of these are still in the early rough cut phase so no graphics or anything yet, no CC, etc... just raw fooatge.  Hope that helps.

• 4. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                SiliconPixel Level 1

I've been editing all day now - starting to get a bit jittery about 5.0.2 as it's crashed twice now - which was unusual for 5.0.1.

First time it locked up the whole PC on playback of a sequence and second time Premiere just became unresponsive while in the background (AME had been rendering).

No use for troubleshooting of course, as I haven't a clue what caused the problems or if it was just coincidence etc. Will continue to monitor - I'm sure others will post their findings...

• 5. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Sometimes a "rest," will get things going. Guess those silicon molecules need to realign?

Hope to hear that things are going better for you tomorrow. You are in "tomorrow" aren't you? Or, is it yesterday down there? I forget.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                    ruzun Level 1

5.0.1 never crashed on me, not once.  5.0.2 is crashing pretty much every 15-30 mins on any real project.  This is one UNSTABLE UPDATE.  I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT UPDATING IF YOU HAVE NOT YET UPDATED.

5.0.2 is MUCH worse for any REAL EDITING PROJECTS than 5.0.1

• 7. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Deinstall, Run Cleanscript and reinstall.

• 8. Re: Houston...I have a BIG problem...
                        shooternz Level 6

CS5 PPRO  will not open properly  for me at all this morning and has seriously crippled Win Explorer

... even trying to start a new Project is impossible let alone open existing projects.. eg I cant create a folder for a new project.

It tries to load but once it gets past the Pink splash screen box...its sluggish and takes forever.  It used to load in a flash.

I get PPRO is "Not responding" ,messages everywhere...plus screen whiteouts when / if I even see the UI.

AEFX, Bridge, Photoshop seem to load fine.

Just to confirm.

CS5 ran fine all day yesterday.  Auto installed the updates at end of day (which required absolutely no input from me).

Result.  Big crippling mess.

I guess I know what I wil be doing all day.

Clean script , uninstall etc..........

• 9. Re: Houston...I have a BIG problem...
                          Dimitri Vorontzov Level 1

Thanks for the timely message. Tried to install the updates today, to no luck, spent 50 minutes on hold with customer support, got hung up on, and only then realized the update has a problem and shouldn't be installed. Much appreciated!

• 10. Re: Houston...I have a BIG problem...
                            shooternz Level 6

Caution.

Be aware that my experience is NOT confirmed or reproduced  by any others yet.

• 11. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                              Tester345 Adobe Employee

If you update to 5.0.2 by downloading and executing the patcher you need to make sure you have the downloaded the correct version.

The error dialog msg 'Update not applicable' usually indicates the wrong patcher was executed.  There are two patches that can be downloaded; (Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.0.2 update for retail DVD and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.0.2 update for electronic downloads).  If you installed from DVD this typically installs all content and template files.  The electronic download does not install templates.  If the wrong patcher is used you get this error dialog.  The solution is to download the correct patcher version and execute it.

Using the updater will automatically detect the installed Premiere build and uses the approriate patcher version.

• 12. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                eddiem100 Level 1

CAUTION:  A word of caution:  If you look closely at the manual download page for Adobe which I have attached the link below for the electronic version it says that it applies to DVD installations of Adobe Premiere Pro only.  Yes, it is true!  Check it out.  The same copy exists for the DVD download and the electronic download.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4815

I was about to do the manual download for the electronic installation last night and at the last minute I noticed that even the electronic download version says:  "This update applies to DVD installations of Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5 only."

I saw it at the last minute and didn't do the manual download because suspicious as I was I couldn't tell if that was a really bad typo or the wrong download files were factually put up by Adobe.  Someone could possibly answer that from Adobe?  It needs to be checked out and verified.

So I did the update using the automatic update from Premiere Pro instead and it went just fine.

In fact, I have experienced a terrific improvement over the previous version such that the lag when clicking in and out of the application was reduced from 40 seconds to only a few seconds.

However, not at first.  At first I didn't see any improvement and we nailed it down to having to UNINSTALL AVS software.  It doesn't matter whether you turn it off or not or turn off all the processes in Task Manager or Process Explorer.  Some AVS software will conflict with this release. We know of two so far.   I had to UNINSTALL it  and as soon as I did that, voila! it was dramatically improved.  Prior to that I had a few white screens too!  Check out this short thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/713437?tstart=0

So possibly this may help.

Provided you got the right download, you might want to check out that  thread.  Two out of two cases were solved by UNINSTALLING AVS software as it was conflicting.

Good luck.

• 13. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                  Tester345 Adobe Employee

You have a sharp eye eddiem100.  We have confirmed the that the Mac link for the DVD and ESD download were reversed.

We will be taking steps to correct this problem as soon as possible.

Just to be sure whenever you have a DVD install, the corresponding patcher should have 'retail' in the patch name and the ESD patcher should have 'trial' in the patch name.

Gene

Premiere Pro QA

• 14. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                    shooternz Level 6

For the record guys.

My update was using the Updater within the applications.

See other posts of mine .

At this point . There is no reason not to update based on my experience. ie (faulty drive failure)

• 15. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                      eddiem100 Level 1

You are welcome!  Glad we got that one solved!!!

But you realize that I saw that on the Windows versions too?

• 16. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                        SiliconPixel Level 1

I also saw a marked improvement when turning of my AV software, even though it had been set to ignore the video and cache drives.

I posted full details on that other thread Eddiem100 linked to.

Paul.

• 17. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                          norm1153 Level 1

Updated this evening.  I had previously successfully installed the "hack" for my GTX 275 card, and MPE was available to me.  When PPro 5.0.2 started up the first time tonight, it informed me that the Mercury Playback Engine would use software only because there was no compatible hardware installed.

• 18. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                            Alan Craven Level 4
                                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

norm1153 wrote:

Updated this evening.  I had previously successfully installed the "hack" for my GTX 275 card, and MPE was available to me.  When PPro 5.0.2 started up the first time tonight, it informed me that the Mercury Playback Engine would use software only because there was no compatible hardware installed.

You will need to repeat the "hack". The file "Cuda_supported_Cards.txt" is inevitably among the files replaced by the Premiere update.

• 19. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                              norm1153 Level 1

Yes, I had in fact done that after the first warning message, and re-ran PPro before I posted here, but it still gave me the warning message while opening the project.  Now this morning, it opened without complaining about it, and indeed upon checking Project Settings, the MPE GPU Acceleration is enabled.  Guess it just took a few go arounds for it to take, or something.

Thanks.

• 20. Re: Houston...we may have a problem...
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Like with Craig's OP, sometimes a bit of a "rest" seems to work wonders. Though sometimes it does not.

Good luck,

Hunt