1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 7:28 AM by NoiTrei

Scene Detect Not Working in CS5

Stanley Arthur Level 3

I've been using scene detect for HDV tape capture since it's introduction several versions ago. For some reason, it doesn't work in CS5 on my new HP Z800 Windows 7 workstation. Maybe I'm the only one as I didn't see anything about it after searching the forum. I'm setting in/out points and clicking on "In/Out" to capture as I've always done, but it's behaving exactly like clicking on "Tape" instead.

• 1. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I've been using scene detect for HDV tape capture since it's introduction several versions ago. For some reason, it doesn't work in CS5 on my new HP Z800 Windows 7 workstation. Maybe I'm the only one

Yes, you are the only one, since scene detection with HDV has never been supported. CS5 is the first version to support it.

• 2. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm setting in/out points and clicking on "In/Out" to capture

As a point of interest, that's not the same as Scene Detect.

• 3. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
              Stanley Arthur Level 3

Maybe I'm not being clear enough. This if firewire HDV capture. Scene Detect selected. It doesn't work with either "Tape" or "In\Out". It has worked flawlessly since at least CS2. Now it doesn't work in CS5. It simply captures one long clip instead of individual clips for each camera start/stop that's on the tape.

• 4. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Your statement is clear, but not true. There has never been scene detection for HDV before CS5. End of story.

Reread # 1.

• 5. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                  Pyramid Pyro Level 1

This may or may not be related but there are some folks experiencing an audio sync issue with HDV capture.  Other threads recommend using HDVsplit to correct the audio sync correction, and for great scene detection capability.

I took that recommendation (for the sync issue) and it works great (though it's odd you would have to use a separate program for such a simple task).  I'm refining a lot of my old habits now that I've switched to CS5 so it was no big deal for me.  Would like to know if the sync issue is fixable, but not that hot on it as I'm off an running with HDVsplit.

It's free and works well...

Hope this helps.

Erik

• 6. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                    jeremy d. Level 3

It sounds like you have a couple of problems here, let me know if this is inaccurate:

1)  HDV Scene detect isn't working

2)  In/Out capture isn't capturing the in>out duration, it is instead capturing the whole tape

So,

1)  HDV Scene detect isn't working

What is happening -- what are the symptoms? Maybe the scene breaks are being ignored, or maybe nothing is being captured at all, maybe none of the above... Have you tried a different tape? Are you sure that the device and Premiere capture settings are set to do HDV?

Harm is correct, of course, that HDV scene detect is new; DV scene detect has been around for a couple of verisons.

2)  In/Out capture isn't capturing the in>out duration, it is instead capturing the whole tape

Is this also happening when Scene Detect is disabled?

I've been using scene detect for HDV tape capture since it's introduction several versions ago. For some reason, it doesn't work in CS5 on my new HP Z800 Windows 7 workstation. Maybe I'm the only one as I didn't see anything about it after searching the forum. I'm setting in/out points and clicking on "In/Out" to capture as I've always done, but it's behaving exactly like clicking on "Tape" instead.
                    • 7. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                      Stanley Arthur Level 3

Well I'll tell ya what. I'll make a little screenr video tomorrow on my old CS4 workstation where I captured my 720p24 tapes from my JVC BR-HD50 via firewire using scene detect on a daily basis. Maybe it has something to do with it being a Matrox RT.X2 system, I really wouldn't know. I'm currently editing a project that I originally started on a CS3 system a few months ago that has at least 50short 720p24 clips I did using scene detect from one tape.

Yes, I am having the audio sync problems capturing long clips, but I'm trying to deal with one issue per topic.

In/Out capture works well, except that I have to manually press the stop button afterward in order to complete the process. I didn't have to do that in previous versions.

And the original topic, scene detect, does not work at all, whether I choose "In/Out" or "Tape".

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

What is happening -- what are the symptoms? Maybe the scene breaks are being ignored, or maybe nothing is being captured at all, maybe none of the above... Have you tried a different tape? Are you sure that the device and Premiere capture settings are set to do HDV?

Again, I'll make another screenr video. That seems to be a far better way of explaining it. In short, capturing works but scene detect doesn't. Yes, the scene breaks appear to be ignored by PPro. Yes, I'm sure that the capture settings are correct. Maybe it's because in CS2, CS3 and CS4 I was capturing Matrox AVI and now I have to use Adobe HDV capture. That would be the only difference. There is no RT.X2 in this new HP Z800. I'm using a Matrox MXO 2 Mini for I/O.

• 8. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        something to do with it being a Matrox RT.X2 system

Dude.  That kind of info needs to come in the first post of every question you ask here.  Third party add-ons are critical information in every single situation, both hardware and software.

Even if you think it couldn't possibly be related, always mention all of them up front.

• 9. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                          eddiem100 Level 1

Hmmm, what may have been confused  on the "scene detection" is that scene detection was available when you

downconverted via firewire from HDV. In other words whenever your tape had been put on pause while you were recording in your camera, a new file would be created while capturing via firewire into adobe premiere pro and your footage was being downconverted at the same time.

But not when you did a straight transfer HDV ->HDV via firewire.  Only on the downconvert mode.

• 10. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                            tnsprin Level 1

Is scene detect for HDV working in CS5?  I thought I tried it and had it not do anything but capture one continuous capture.  And although I tried HDVSPLIT, it did not improve anything,  I ended up using a capture from Pinnacle Studio 14 HD (which had its on problems because I had to separately import left and right channels into Premiere).  The original material was being captured from a JVC GR-HD1 .

• 11. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                              jeremy d. Level 3
                              And the original topic, scene detect, does not work at all, whether I choose "In/Out" or "Tape".

What I mean is, what happens? Does it make one giant clip, or does it capture nothing?

• 12. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                Stanley Arthur Level 3

It makes one large clip.

• 13. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                  horti_revolution Level 1

I have been having the same problems for 2 weeks now after great expense - upgrading software and hardware to fight the same and similar issues  (as an African production team of 2, these costs are significant).

In summary:

- scene detect does NOT work on HDV capture (one long clip)

- major (and erratic) audio and video sync issues

I record on both tape and hard drive but have hard drive issues and often need to make use of the tape backup. There is no issue with syncronisation on the hard drive clips. The tape begins almost immediately with issues (so it can't be a "dropped frames over time" thing).

If I capture on my colleagues Mac (also CS5) - one or two clips have the odd issue (prob dropped frames).

If I play the raw footage with WMP, no timing issues.

If I play the tape back through the camera, no timing issues.

For the record, here are my grim and nasties:

i7 920 (Asus), 6GB, Win 7 64, CS5 Production Suite, JVC GY-HD101 capturing through motherboard's firewire port (for the record, as with CS3, CS5 does not list my camera and I use the "JVC Standard" setting for capture).

I am filming at the camera's HDV-SD50i setting which I capture in a 1080-50i HDV project and use in a 720:576 edit (this is what worked just fine for tons of CS3 projects).

So...I am hoping that there something in my info that can help to identify any issue so we can isolate and fix it!

• 14. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                    jkosmicki Level 2

Stanley is correct that with Matrox hardware, scene detection would work with any kind of capture through FireWire. Before I switched to a Decklink card, I used Axio for years and regularly used scene detection with Panasonic DVCPRO HD capture via FireWire.

A day after I upgraded to CS5, I had a client come in with DV tapes and scene detect definitely did not work. I assumed at the time it was a problem with the camera (although I verified it was a pro-level camera), but now I suspect a problem with CS5. I very rarely get DV footage from clients, so it's not something I can easily test.

• 15. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                      jeremy d. Level 3

The behavior you'all are describing is not typical, and there are many users, including myself, who have successfully used HDV scene detect in CS5.

Usually, when I hear about this HDV scene detect problem, the solution involves some settings, either in the camera -- like a mismatch between the output settings and the media -- or in the capture or device control settings.

This particular info:

In/Out capture works well, except that I have to manually press the stop button afterward in order to complete the process. I didn't have to do that in previous versions.

is troublesome on its own. If you have to stop the capture manually, then In/Out capture is definitely not working well -- but again, your experience is the exception, not the rule. I know that doesn't make it better.

I captured my 720p24 tapes from my JVC BR-HD50 via firewire using scene detect

The original material was being captured from a JVC GR-HD1

JVC GY-HD101 capturing through motherboard's firewire port

You all seem to have something in common. What about jkosmicki, what device do you have?

Edit: I know, your devices may have worked properly in previous versions.

• 16. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                        horti_revolution Level 1

Thanks Jeremy

The fact that many of us have JVC's, to me, means that Adobe has a problem with JVC...a fact I've suspected was true for over a year now. (as mentioned, my camera's model is not listed in the capture screen and I have to use the "JVC Standard" setting).

Please escalate this to the relevant parties at Adobe - I would love, at some stage, to get what I've paid for.

• 17. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                          jeremy d. Level 3

I hear you, but I have to say that we have a bunch of JVC devices around here which all are fine. I don't think we should just wrap this problem up in Adobe has a problem with JVC. I know several serious Premiere users who only have JVC devices, and they're fine, too. Like I said earlier, you are having an atypical experience.

As far as the device control settings go, a lot of devices are not called out by model in that list -- Sonys, JVCs, Panasonics...

I'm looking for commonality anywhere I can, and I'm asking about the devices specifically because they have the same UI and menus, mostly, and there could be one setting or mode that is interfering. If any of you have a different device, it would be interesting to know if you see the same problem with it.

Perhaps someone can see some other similarities in these situations -- I'll keep trying to track this down.

• 18. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                            tnsprin Level 1

If you look you will find many of us reporting the same problem for HDV on JVC cameras.  Certainly I have the same problem with the oldest of the JVC models that supported HDV.  Capture does not do scene detection even under CS5, and ends up with one clip that often has audio falls out of sync.  Actually is worse in CS5.  In CS4 the capture was of one clip, but I had the audio stayed in sync on my video. 

Note: this is not a DV from a JVC camera.  For those Scene spit works and no Audio sync problem occurs even using the same video camera for capture.

• 19. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                              jeremy d. Level 3
                                              Note: this is not a DV from a JVC camera.  For those Scene spit works and no Audio sync problem occurs even using the same video camera for capture.

Does this mean that you're taking footage shot on other devices and capturing with scene detect from your JVC camera?

• 20. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                tnsprin Level 1

I have DV from several cameras.  A much older JVC, mostly a CANON camera but a couple from the JVC GR-HD1.

All the DV captures, including scene detection, from from the JVC GR-HD1 work fine.  All my HDV were recorded on the JVC-HD1 and capture from that has been problematic.  No scene detection on the HDV, and worse audio sync than with CS4.

I've switched for hd to some CANON cameras that record as AVC, and transfers that as files rather than Capturing.  Editing of AVC with CS5 has been better than with CS4, but I still wish for those that it would not try and reencode everything.

• 21. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                  markwilliamfound Level 1

Just took receipt today of brand new edit - new everything and all faithfully up to, and beyond, the Adobe spec.  CS5 fires up - get to scene detect - EXACTLY the same issues as everyone else.  There appears to be no scene detecting going on at all - just one big long clip.   Yes it's a JVC GY HD111 and no - Adobe doesn't recognise it under device control - like others I have to use JVC standard to get anything.  Really not happy - this is basic stuff to be honest.  All controls checkel, all settings checked.

• 22. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                    jkosmicki Level 2

Jeremy, my deck is a Sony HVR-M15, DVCAM/HDV. I am going to try and dig up some DV camera-source tapes to test with. I don't really work in DV/HDV format, so I'm not sure if I have any here at the studio.

• 23. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                      jeremy d. Level 3

So I'm looking into this right now, and noticing that those JVC devices aren't being recognized my the OS itself, independent of Premiere, when it's in HDV mode. Switch it to DV, and dialogs pop up all over the desktop, and once connecting the camera launched one of our apps.

We have other JVC devices which are fine.

The JVC site mentions drivers and firmware updates, but I haven't gotten that far. Maybe one of you can see if there are new drivers or updates for your individual cameras.

I'll keep looking.

• 24. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                        Stanley Arthur Level 3

Just wondering if there have been any developments. The 5.02 update didn't fix these issues.

• 25. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                          jeremy d. Level 3

I'm still looking.

Windows 7 doesn't see the JVC devices at all when they're in HDV mode.

Having done a simple google search (!), we have seen that there are new drivers which are supposed to make those cameras work with Win7. There are also firmware updates for the cameras. I would suggest you try installing new drivers, and I would also encourage you to do a search. You will find that there are a lot of people who are having problems with their JVC cameras, including someone on the Avid forum. Those other users out there could be of some help.

The other HDV devices I have, including Sonys, do scene detect correctly.

• 26. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                            Stanley Arthur Level 3

Jeremy... The device not being seen is not the problem. Using the legacy firewire driver, Windows 7 sees my JVC BR-HD50 and gives me complete machine control over it.

Both my JVC BR-HD50 and my JVC GY-HD110s are running current firmware.

• 27. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                              jeremy d. Level 3

That is absolutely pertinent. There are lots of people out there whose JVC devices are not  being recognized. That may not be the only issue, but we cannot ignore  it. I can't simply blame Premiere, or Avid for that matter, while this  driver issue is still open. I am not, however, dismissing the  possibility that it is Premiere's bug.

You have a JVC BR-HD50 device, with the legacy driver that works with the OS, and a GY-HD camera that doesn't? Have you tried the new drivers?

I pointed out earlier in the thread that I have a user who is using a device almost exclusively, and it is a JVC BR-HD50. I have one here on my desk that I will look at. I will keep you apprised.

• 28. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                Stanley Arthur Level 3

I apologize, Jeremy, for not being clear. The GY-HD110s also work with the legacy driver in Windows 7, except for the scene detect and audio sync issues. I'll search for a new firewire driver.

• 29. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                  jeremy d. Level 3

That's good to know, Stanley, thanks.

I'm just hooking up that HD50 right now. You should see my desk, it looks like a JVC outlet in here.

• 30. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                    VanZoso24 Level 1

Also having issues with my JVC GY-HD110U.

I cannot use scene detect in HDV mode and I cannot capture In and Out points without manually stopping the capture at the Out point.  I tried updating all of the drivers and the camera's firmware.  No dice.

My GY-HD110U use to work fine with CS3 and CS4.  I have not made any changes to the settings.  In fact I still capture perfectly fine on my laptop that is running CS4.  But when I go to capture with my Desktop running CS5 on Windows 7 all of these problems arise.

Has anyone figured this issue out yet???

Thanks,

John

• 31. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                      dv-wrangler Level 1

I am having problems with this, too. I can not even scene detect DV footage capturing (down re in-camera) from my Sony A1U.

Details: Premiere Pro CS5/Production Premium (Demo version, waiting for the box to arrive) on Mac OS

• 32. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

FWIW, capture is working correctly in 5.02 using a Canon XHA1 and Scene Detect.

• 33. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                          Noir#1 Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

I just got CS5 and hooked up to my trusty old JVC HD50 and am unable to capture video.  It does not recognize it as a capture device.  I'm guessing I need to update some drivers and hope that since you did the same thing recently, you can point me in the right direction and save me some time surfing around looking for the right combo.  I am using a Matrox RT.X2.  It does however recognize my JVC GY-110 camera, when I plugged that in using the 1394 firewire something automatically downloaded and could capture using the camera as my input device.  Thanks for your help.

Noir#1    

• 34. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                            Stanley Arthur Level 3

Noir,

Make sure that you are using the "legacy" firewire driver if you are on

Windows 7. The default driver will not work for capturing.

• 35. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                              Noir#1 Level 1

Thanks Stanley, I tried switching to the Legacy driver as you suggested but the computer crashs when I turn on the HD50.  I think I have some other issues related to the RT.X2 and CS5.  I'm going to try downloading the Matrox RT.X2 5.0 Beta Release and see if that helps.  Have you heard anything from Matrox regarding permanent fixes? You were correct to guess that I have Windows 7 running on a Dell Precision T5500, sorry should have mentioned that upfront.

Any other suggestions to make it all run smoothly?

• 36. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                                NoiTrei Level 1

As I understand the reason it works with Matrox RT.X2 card in CS4 is that the RT.X tools is doing the capture, but swiching to CS5 MAtrox is no more responsible for capture, but left it to Adobe NAtive format, no more Matrox avi, but Adobe mpeg. And here is where Scene Detection doesn't work... I don't know if other people with other Camcorders have the same problem, but with JVC seems that more than one person have this problem. It works perfectly with DV content, but with HDV it does not do the scene detection... I read everything written in this thread, but nothing seems to give a reasonable response. May be Adobe team can do a research and give us a response...

By the way, for a more accurate post, the camcorder is a JVC GY-HD 201e model, and I tried all possible way that came into my mind - it does not work.

• 37. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                                  Ze_Povinho Level 1

Hi there!

I am using a mac book pro and premiere CS5. The camera is a Canon XH1s.

I am capturing in DV format but the source is HDV. So I use the camera to down convert the HDV in DV.

Scene detection is not working!

Before I was working in a windows platform, PC. I was using Premiere CS4 and all worked fine. Same camera, same settings.

So it seams that the problem is in CS5. And I just installed all updates. No results!

Cheers

• 38. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bug Report and Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Be sure to provide all step-by-step details

• 39. Re: Scene Detect Not Working in CS5
                                                                                      NoiTrei Level 1

Thanks  for you contribution, I really hope there is a way out. what format Is your camera capturing? I.m capturing progressive 50 frames per second, and I'm wondering it CS5 doesn't have problems with this format, or may be with more HDV formats...

1 2 Previous Next