10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 8:56 AM by cromaline

Photoshop setup script

tcdb28

I go to a lab that contains 6 Macs with Adobe CS5 (Master collection) loaded on them.  The changes I make to anything in the applications (specifically Photoshop extended) are set back to default upon log out.  I would like to know if it is possible to write a script (applescript), and run it from a usb thumb drive, that sets up my workspace, preferences, & loads my brushes stored on my usb drive within photoshop.

Any help or examples of existing systems would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Photoshop setup script
          Ghoulfool Level 1

Not to distract from your request but  second to that would be a useful script to SAVE your workspace, tool presets, brushes, swatches, keyboard short cuts - the whole nine yards in one go.

• 2. Re: Photoshop setup script
            tcdb28 Level 1

Perhaps i'm misunderstanding you, but to clarify it is not my computer.  The system administration has it set up to revert to default upon logout. Any changes made will be erased (along with any files saved to the drive).  It is a public use computer in my school's library.

• 3. Re: Photoshop setup script
              Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

I doubt that you are going to be able to do what you wish… If your prefs get wiped each log out then the best you are probably going to be able to do is keep a copy on your USB then copy back to the current user prefs folder after log in. You can't auto-run anything from a drive like this as its probably a security issue…

• 4. Re: Photoshop setup script
                tcdb28 Level 1

I don't want it to auto-run.  I want to manually run it like a standalone application from my USB.  Users basically have free rein of the entire computer (sans system preferences) while on the mac.  I'm not trying to change anything that is locked down. I can make all of these changes manually but it takes 10 minutes to fully set up my preferred photoshop environment (color profile, keyboard shortcuts, HUD, checkboxes, etc etc).  I know what I want to do is possible, I just need a little help getting started.  I am pretty sure either an applescript or an automator app/workflow would do the trick.

However, once i set up my environment, for your solution, where would i find a copy of my preferences to copy to my USB?

• 5. Re: Photoshop setup script

In my case it would be as I have CS2…

'~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings' this one is a Folder of settings…

'~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Photoshop.plist' this one is a mac preference file (xml)…

You should be able to quit Photoshop and replace this 2 file & folder and relaunch… I think…

• 6. Re: Photoshop setup script
                    cromaline Level 3

If I well understand:

may be you could prepare  a panel in  Adobe Configurator that loads and installs with Extension Manager  all your preset workspaces , brushes , actions, color profiles etc…  just with one click with the installer and  and set up all items  with the function "On panel initialization"  or with " buttons"

( If you prefer you could also utilize only extension manager to install your presets )

That is another way to  automate   what you want and also quite fast

( the only problem is that if you create some new presets  on the guest computer you have to save them on your usb drive and then update your  installer

Take a look to this 3d if it can fit your needs or give you some ideas

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/671765?tstart=0

• 7. Re: Photoshop setup script
                      tcdb28 Level 1

It is CS5 but i'm sure it's in the same general vicinity.

I would still much prefer a script or automator action if anyone else has some suggestions... i will continue to work on this and post any results i may come up with.

• 8. Re: Photoshop setup script
                        Michael L Hale Level 5

Because you want to replace the preference file along with other settings I don't think a panel will work. Photoshop will need to be closed to replace the file and the panel runs in Photoshop.

I think Mark's suggestion is the best way to go. Set Photohsop up with way you want it with your preferences, workspace, color settings, actions, and brushes. Close Photoshop. Copy the entire Abobe Photoshop CS5 Settings folder to the usb drive.

Then to restore your settings make sure Photoshop is closed and overwrite the settings folder with the one from your usb.

I'm on Windows so I can't offer a AppleScript but I would think that it wouldn't be too hard to script if AppleScript allows file/folder access the way ExtendScript does.

• 9. Re: Photoshop setup script

I only had the time to run a very simple test but this did work for me…

property prefs : "USBName:Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings"

property plist : "USBName:com.adobe.Photoshop.plist"

property appf : path to preferences folder from user domain

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS2" to quit

delay 1

tell application "Finder"

try

set prefs to prefs as alias

set plist to plist as alias

move folder prefs to folder appf with replacing

move file plist to folder appf with replacing

on error

display dialog "Files could not be found…" giving up after 3

end try

end tell

delay 1

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS2" to activate

Because you are moving files from a mount point it is the same as 'copy' with replacing is optional and will only happen if they exist…

• 10. Re: Photoshop setup script
                            cromaline Level 3

Extension manager or panel  were only a workaround

Agree with you, an  script is surely the way