12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 4:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem

Marcelo Gios

I used to edit DV video on PPro 3, and it was heaven compared to what I`ve been through when upgrading to AVCHD.

At least I wait a while for the processing power of the PC`s became afordable (or less expensive) before buying the camera.

Now I have the computer power needed, running windows 7 64 bits, a Panasonic TM700  and I got PPro CS4 - first mistake. Realized that, and upgraded to PPro CS5 64 bits. Solved most of the inital problems.

Where am I stuck now?  I am  editing AVCHD`s videos and the output shows a huge drawback in the panning sections. The video jitters like it was a sussesion of stills instead of a smooth video. ALTHOUGH the original file plays perfectly.

I made so many different tests that I can`t recall all the diferent options and parameter I tried without any sucess.

My test bench is a PS3 and when I play the original video from the camera, from a USB memory key, or from an external HHD, the quality is awesome. Pannings are krispy and smooth. But, the PPro CS5 edited video suffers badly - mostly while panning.

There are so many information I could give to the forum about the input and output parameters that would just be too confusing.

What I am looking for is a know workflow so I could have the same quality of my original AVCHD video on my BlueRay output. If that is possible with the current products available in the market.

Tks in advance!

• 1. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
          Bill Gehrke-jzVKXF

Try changing your timeline playback resolution to full and see if that helps.  Right click on the Program Sequence window to see the Playback Resolution item.

• 2. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
            Marcelo Gios Level 1

It is already set to full resolution. I compare, both, the original and edited videos, from the PS3 console.

The original AVCHD video as recorded from the camera (Panasonic TM700) looks wonderfull, while the same video edit in PPro CS5 jitters badly when panning.

tks for the input though.

• 3. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
              Jim_Simon Level 8

What are the specs for your media?

What specific sequence settings are you using?

• 4. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                Marcelo Gios Level 1

Input:  AVCHD  1920x1080 30 fps

Output: H.264 Blu-ray  NTSC, 1920x1080, 30 fps

• 5. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                  steveprc Level 1

I have the TM700K as a backup camera and all cameras have a limitation regarding the speed at which you can pan with the camera before you get "banding" in the video. Video is essentially a rapid succession of photos, and if you move the camera too quickly, then you're going to get banding, which is unavoidable in lower level cameras. I believe there are some things you can do in post to minimize the effects of panning too quickly with the camera. Hit ctrl + F on a PC or cmnd + F on a Mac to bring up the "Interpret Footage" window and experiment with some of the settings to clean up footage. There are a few options with lengthly explainations, but I'd suggest a tutorial on these functions. It'll probably solve the issue for you. Please let me know if this helps.

P.S., for future reference, I would suggest shooting at 60P for video where you're going to be panning quickly.

• 6. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                    Marcelo Gios Level 1

Tks steveprc for your inputs. It makes sense.

But what concerns me is the fact that the original footage plays without any flaws while the PPro CS5 edited same footage shows too much jittering in the same portion of the video that was perfect originaly. So I wonder if there is a recomended workflow when working with AVCHD files to prevent this.

I made some tests with 1080p 60 fps and the results were the same. Perfect original recorder movie, lousy jittered panning edited version of the same video.

I played the original and edited version of the clip from the same memory key and the same external HD in my PS3.

Still looking for clues on how to, at least, minimize this problem.

• 7. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                      steveprc Level 1

I'll shoot some test video with my camera and see if I can reproduce the problem. I have to imagine it's related to the output settings. If you can, please post all the encoding settings.

• 8. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                        Marcelo Gios Level 1

I tried the PPro CS5 preset: AVCHD 1080i30 (60i) and the equivalente rendering setting and it seems the problem went away.

Doing further testing though.

Next issue: To keep the original 5.1 audio PPro suggested me to expend extra 260+ bucks on some sort of third part audio encoder. I am not happy with that

I am amazed on the way we are manipulated by midia, marketing and coorporations. I knew it would be tricky to move to high def video, but not that much.

Well, enough complaints for today. I'll save some for tomorrow.

• 9. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                          AudoWarp Level 1

I was under the impression that this camera used a proprietary

format and only the software that came with the camera could edit it

• 10. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                            steveprc Level 1

you can edit AVCHD footage in PPro. I think some of the more basic editors may not have the capability, but for sure AVCHD is directly supported in PPro.

• 11. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                              steveprc Level 1

Marcelo, do you have the whole Creative Suite or just Premiere Pro? If you have the whole suite you can use Sound Booth.

On another note, do yourself a favor and pick up an accessory mic for that camera. The built-in mic is WAY too sensitive. You can hear your nose hair whistling when you breath.

• 12. Re: Editing AVCHD on Ppro CS5 - Panning Problem
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Next issue: To keep the original 5.1 audio PPro suggested me to expend extra 260+ bucks on some sort of third part audio encoder. I am not happy with that

PrPro can ingest and work with 5.1 SS material, but cannot Export a DD 5.1 SS encoded AC3. This is because of the necessary license from Dolby Labs. Luckily, Minnetonka Audio offers the SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in for PrPro. It is available from within PrPro, and I strongly suggest that one buys it from there, as they will save ~ US$ 50, over the price directly from the Minnetonka Web site. That US$ 250 is little more than the license fee from Dolby Labs, and is a good deal. I was so impressed, that I bought two copies - one for each editing machine. The licensing fee for Adobe PrPro users is so high (from Dolby Labs), that there are no additional special deals for multiple licenses.

Adobe probably did the math, and surveyed the market, and rather than include the SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in and charge US$ 250 more per copy, they would work out a deal with Minnetonka to sell it at a discount to Adobe PrPro users. I am sure that all, who do not do 5.1 SS work, greatly appreciate that move on Adobe's part.

If one does much work with 6-channel Audio work, I also recommend the Minnetonka SurCode DTS encoder. It is not a plug-in, but a stand-alone encoder. It does a great job too.

Good luck,

Hunt