17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)

PDonker

I bought and installed Premiere Elements yesterday and thought I'd be off to a flying start but alas. I work with MP4 clips from a GoPro HD cam. I drop them in my project media and already the program freezes for a minute or so. Granted, it's a 2.6 Gb file, but that is the norm nowadays. I then drag the clip to the timeline and it freezes again for a minute or so. This is all "survivable", but where it gets more problematic is when I need to navigate/play the file in the preview. The sounds plays fine, but the video is at like 1 frame per 5 seconds. That makes it impossible to use for editing.

My system is a i7, 6Gb RAM, Win 7 x64. Nothing else is running and the system is pretty much plain vanilla regarding multimedia. The clip plays absolutely fine in WMP. It is 1280x960.

Question: what is different with Premiere than let's say Vegas where a mp4 clip previews fine? And: Is Premiere able to handle GoPro footage?

Peter

• 1. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which project preset you're using for this video -- but using the right project setting is vital to success with this program, as is rendering when necessary as you work.

As a rule, though, Premiere Elements doesn't yet work with video from pocket camcorders, like the GoPro and the Flip. It's usually necessary to convert the files to a more standard video format, per the FAQs to the right of this forum, before you'll be able to work efficiently with this video.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

• 2. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

This ARTICLE gives some tips and info on the GoPro Helmet Cam footage.

Also, can you tell us about your computer's I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, free space, controller type and how you have them allocated?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
              PDonker Level 1

Thanks Bill. That's a really helpful post you wrote.

Peter

• 4. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

It was actually Gonza, who wrote it. I just placed it into Tips & Tricks for him. With the growing popularity of the GoPro cams, when he came to me, I could see a definite use for the info, as he was both using PrE and the GoPro.

Seems that it might have been in last month's American Cinematographer, that there was a little piece on some Hollywood production, that used a handful of GoPro's for some action footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                  PDonker Level 1

Yeah. With the popularity of this camera (I'm using it for paragliding and it seems about half of all pilots have one) I'm surprised Adobe hasn't included support for the mp4 format already in a patch.

Peter

PS I'm about ready to run a first test based on Gonza's post.

• 6. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the pure support for MP4 is there, with the H.264 CODEC, which is usually installed with the newer QuickTime Players.

What happens though, is that many mfgrs. will tweak various CODEC's, to get a bit more performance and higher compression. That is where trouble can creep in. It is my contention that all camera mfgrs. should include their special flavors of any CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                      PDonker Level 1

I got as far as the presets. I've banged my head against the wall why nearly everything is disabled in the Project Settings dialog. My first hunch was: you can't change that once a project is started. Stupid, but fair enough. So I create a project again (I hope Adobe UI people are reading this) and desperately look for the "New" button where I select the project template. Nothing, nada. Sigh ... internet research. So what I found was that Elements is "locked down" and you can't edit/create new project settings. That is beyond me. So if I understand correctly I can't output the format I want but only the formats Adobe thought would be useful.

In any case the choppy video remains. I think this is a dead end and I'll need to convert these files before I can edit. I'll give it a last push, but I'm beginning to feel this package is a dud. The UI is overdesigned and sluggish and now it appears it just can't handle native mp4 (well, it shows it but it's too slow to work with).

Anyone any other ideas?

Peter

• 8. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                        nealeh Level 5

PDonker wrote:

So I create a project again (I hope Adobe UI people are reading this) and desperately look for the "New" button where I select the project template.

That would be on the opening screen (My version is PRE7):

1.png

2.png

PDonker wrote:

So what I found was that Elements is "locked down" and you can't edit/create new project settings. That is beyond me. So if I understand correctly I can't output the format I want but only the formats Adobe thought would be useful.

Don't confuse Project Settings with Output settings. The Project Setting must, ideally, match your clip format for editing. But Output settings are defined in the Share tab. For example:

3.png

PDonker wrote:

In any case the choppy video remains

If you have a redline across the top of your timeline, press [Enter] to render previews. Wait until the line goes green:

4.png

Cheers,

--
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                          PDonker Level 1

I just converted to a couple of different formats (AVHCD, MPEG2) and tried using those but to no avail. The preview remains choppy.

I find that only if I prerender I get smooth experience. But prerendering takes forever. A small 2 min clip takes about 10 mins to prerender. That won't fly for files of 45 mins. I'm also worried about exploding content on my HD. If I need to (1) convert and/or (2) prerender I guess recoded copies of the original files will be written to HD.

Thoughts?

Peter

• 10. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                            PDonker Level 1

Thanks Neale,

I was confused as the aforementioned guide was written for Premiere Pro 4 and explains I should create a new template matching the settings of the captured files. Confused because indeed I feel it's an output thing. But Vegas works similarly and I guess this is a standard in the industry then. You have project settings and output settings even though, conceptually, they overlap IMO. The project settings are supposed to govern internal operation and determine the max output quality. The output settings allow multi-targetting. But where I was baffled was that although you can change the output settings, you can't change the project settings.

Regarding the prerendering ... I wish it could be faster.

Thanks,

Peter

• 11. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                              nealeh Level 5

It's because you cannot create new Project Settings in PRE that so often the solution is to convert your source, OUTSIDE of PRE, to a PRE friendly format. If you get that right then then your clip will show on the timeline with neither red nor green lines. Thereafter you only need to render previews when you apply transitions and effects.

Also bear in mind that the rendering only takes place over the area covered by the Work Area Bar so you can narrow down rendering to just the areas that you really need (e.g. complex transitions or effects or overlays etc...):

5.png

Either way I hope you have now found a satisfactory workflow for your GoPro.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If the camcorder comes with its own editing program, use it. That's always the best solution when these things use proprietary codecs.

Otherwise, you can try using Super or MPEG Streamclip to create a DV-AVI, per the FAQs to the right of this forum. (Actually, if the video files are MP4s, your ideal tool is Quicktime Pro, $29 from Apple.com.)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

DV-AVIs are the ideal format for editing with Premiere Elements.

And, as I said earlier, whatever format you do decide to convert to, you must convert to a format that the program is designed to work with, otherwise there's no point to converting.

For standard def video, the DV-AVI is the perfect format.

For hi-def, the 1440x1080 anamorphic HDV-MPEG.

• 13. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                                  AllDayDev Adobe Employee

PDonker wrote:

Regarding the prerendering ... I wish it could be faster.

The speed of rendering previews is, generally speaking, dependent upon the type of media you are working with and the performance of your computer.

Since you have a decent enough PC based on the hardware specs you posted, let's optimize the performance of your system.

Start by taking all the steps in the following document (except 1, which you have already):

http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_cpsid_53099_en-us

Premiere Elements hopefully isn't crashing on you, but the steps in the above document will just make sure there aren't any specific conflicts that are causing the problem.

(If disabling GPU Playback, Solution 5, doesn't make a difference, I recommend turning it back on.)

If the above doesn't help, or you want to optimize it further, the next thing I'd recommend is just some routine maintenance.

Start by clearing the Temporary Files from your computer. Disk Cleanup is a built-in utility that can do this.

Then check your hard drive for errors using the error-checking utility in Windows. (Open Computer, right-click on drive, choose Properties, go to Tools tab, click Check Now, ensure both Automatic Fix and Recover Bad Sectors checkboxes are checked, then Start.)

Once the error checking is done, defragment the drive.

If general maintenance like the above doesn't help, or again you want to go further, the next thing I'd suggest is disabling unnecessary software that automatically runs with your PC. See Step 8 in the following document for some instructions:

http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_cpsid_82252_en-us

HTH!

• 14. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Carey,

Thank you for dropping by. It is always great to see an Adobe presence in this forum. The PrPro forum has been blessed with Todd, Jeremy, Wi, Dennis, and now Sheri (she usually does not show her face, until an update... ), and sometimes Chad, who did spend some time here, prior to PrE 8.0.1. We are always happy, when there is an Adobe person, stopping by. We are all users, so a "look under the hood," is always greatly appreciated.

Along with the Adobe KB articles, this ARTICLE might have some additional tips on optimizing the OS and the computer. If one has Win7, be sure to read down the thread to the link to Black Viper's Win7 tuneup tips.

Good luck to the OP, and thanks Carey,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                                      PDonker Level 1

Thanks everyone but I am abandoning PRE. I should have tried the trial first. I don't want to have to wait for hours of video conversion before I can edit, nor do I want to fill my HD with huge temporary content. When I come home from some outdoor activity I'd like to sit down for an hour or so to quickly throw together an edit from my camera and then put it online. I don't think this is the right tool for this.

I am a developer myself so I know decisions are made in development and you can't please everyone. So I'm not saying "O this product scks". It's just not targeted at me I think. I care more for functionality and performance than I do about how something looks. E.g. this black UI of the elements products (and incidentally many of their competitors as well) have been overdesigned IMO but this is personal taste. I could have lived with it had the program been able to handle mp4 in real time without conversions.

Best,

Peter

• 16. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

The time to Render is directly tied to the CODEC used in the file, the Duration that is being Rendered, and the speed of one's computer, especially the CPU in this case, though the speed and efficiency of one's I/O sub-system (HDD's) is also important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PRE 8.0.1 slowwwww (mp4, GoPro)
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

If you have not tried them, many feel that both CyberLink's PowerDirector, and Sony's Vegas, work better on underpowered machines, with the same source material. You might want to give each a try.

Good luck,

Hunt