9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2007 2:13 PM by zagods

i am very new to web design

jeannette_villarreal
      Hi, this is a little embarrassing because it's so basic, but what is the best way to start the layout for your design? I don't really know how to use CSS so I am starting out with general tables. I want to insert a .swf navigation bar up top (center) and a panel on the left side for other links = the very basic upside-down L.
      I began with a table set for 100%, then nested another table inside. I began nesting tables within that nested table but it turned into a big mess where things became misaligned the more content i inserted.
      Any help would be appreciated!
      J.
        • 1. Re: i am very new to web design
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          Jeanette, can you provide a sample of what you want the site to look like? Using tables for layout is usually easy for the beginner than CSS, but can get out of hand if you have to nest too deep. Also, using swf navigation is usually not a good idea for a bunch of reasons.
          • 2. Re: i am very new to web design
            Level 7
            The best way to start is with Notepad/Text Edit and a basic book on HTML.
            Don't even think of touching DW until you understand as much as you can
            tolerate about page structure and the HTML tags involved. Move to the same
            kind of book on CSS. Then you will be ready for DW....

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"jeannette villarreal" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f857i2$35s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi, this is a little embarrassing because it's so basic, but what is the
            > best
            > way to start the layout for your design? I don't really know how to use
            > CSS so
            > I am starting out with general tables. I want to insert a .swf navigation
            > bar
            > up top (center) and a panel on the left side for other links = the very
            > basic
            > upside-down L.
            > I began with a table set for 100%, then nested another table inside. I
            > began
            > nesting tables within that nested table but it turned into a big mess
            > where
            > things became misaligned the more content i inserted.
            > Any help would be appreciated!
            > J.
            >

• 3. Re: i am very new to web design
              jeannette_villarreal Level 1
              thanks for replying bregent, right now i have created a .dwt file. How can i upload that on here? Just paste the code?
              • 4. Re: i am very new to web design
                ok, here is the code to the .dwt i have created. whenever i import data into the editable region, my entire layout shifts and changes!
                • 5. Re: i am very new to web design
                  zagods Level 1
                  The templates are a great place to start if you want to work on CSS.

Ideally you would do the research on HTML and CSS as Murray said, but that's not realistic for a lot of people (are you going to be doing this as a career?). With emphasis on CSS and web standards, internet design has shifted dramatically from design to programming. It's hard for a lot of coders to appreciate that many visual minds don't succeed with hard coding and need the DW interface to not be discouraged by the process.
                  • 6. Re: i am very new to web design
                    Level 7
                    > It's hard for a lot of coders to
                    > appreciate that many visual minds don't succeed with hard coding and need
                    > the
                    > DW interface to not be discouraged by the process.

A painter needs to understand canvases and paints and brushes and techniqes.

A printmaker needs to understand printing presses, ink makeups, etc.

A web designer needs to understand HTML.

The WYSIWYG interface in web editors like DW should never be used to CREATE
                    the design...it's merely there to assist in editing and updating down the
                    road.

-Darrel

• 7. i am very new to web design
                      zagods Level 1
                      EDIT: not the appropriate time for this rant, sorry
                      • 8. i am very new to web design
                        Yea, i'm still pretty new at it and understand some of the basics, i'm just trying to get some hands on practice.. learning as i go. yea i don't feel comfortable using the WYSIWYG approach but i figure it's a start.
                        but overall, am i on the right track with what i have done so far?
                        also, i did sketch out the site on paper and have tons of scratch paper with the entire site drawn out by hand, page per page. what i'm doing now is trying to do now is just lay it out. it's not a site that will have tons of graphics, mainly just information, and some images/slideshows built in Flash. The nav bar is also built in Flash. I am basically jsut trying to place objects.
                        thanks.
                        • 9. Re: i am very new to web design
                          zagods Level 1
                          If you just want a basic website (and aren't planning on doing it as a career) I'd suggest you are going about the right way. Contrary to what most on here say, you can design a decent website without a lick of HTML knowledge, but it's a terrible foundation if you're going to be doing it regularly (and consider yourself an expert).

You should always proceed with caution with Flash navigation, for a variety of reasons (such as if someone doesn't have it installed, how do they proceed?). But, if those links are duplicated at the bottom (as yours are), that makes it less of a problem and still search engine friendly.

Using tables to layout your content will take some work to get it look right, I would suggest assigning static pixel widths to each cell, but I'm not sure exactly how you want it to look.