8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 9:07 PM by BrokenBoxProductions5

Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video

bbuie1

I just brought in some footage and the entire video is bouncing as if the camera was on a spring.  When I open the footage in Quicktime or other players, there is no bounce. The camera was on a secure stand in a studio and other files shot around the same time are fine.  Could the update this morning have anything to do with this?

• 1. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us the complete details of the footage, and also your Sequence Preset?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
            bbuie1 Level 1

Sure - but first, I brought in some video footage that was already in the library that comes earlier in movie.  It acted fine and still does earlier in the timeline but if I bring it in again, it does the same bouncing motion.  This makes me think the update is the culprit.

My sequence settings are

Desktop

25fps

720 480

Square 1.0

No fields Progressive

I-Frame Only MPEG

Like I said, it is from the same footage and everything has acted fine up to this point.  Things that are already in the timeline behave but if brought in now they do not. Nothing has changed settings wise.

• 3. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
              bbuie1 Level 1

When it is renedered, the bouncing goes away.  But the bouncing never occured before if not rendered.

Using a Cuda card with Mercury engine.

• 4. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can confirm this for AVCHD, not for mpeg or CF avi's.

In the 5.0.2 is see footage  jumping up and down.

Preview is very pixelated, in first field, second field and in both fields.

• 5. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
                  Andy T2 Adobe Employee

Hi Ann:

In regard to AVCHD, it would be good if you could clarify your statement regarding "bouncing" during playback of that format. There is sometimes occasional artifacting with AVCHD and other H.264 codec-based original material when the Playback Resolution is not set to Full. Do you have a case where Playback Resolution is set to Full and there are any artifacts seen? Let us know.

When playing back an AVCHD clip or timeline in Premiere, the default setting is 1/2 Resolution, which does introduce some artifacts in the playback. This is an intentional tradeoff, so that lower-power systems can play back AVCHD without dropping frames. At Full Playback Resolution, some modest systems will drop frames when playing back AVCHD, hence the lower default setting. At less than Full Resolution, we turn off macroblock correction, which is the source of the artifacts. If you are using a relatively powerful system, however, you should be able to achieve robust full motion without dropped frames at Full Resolution. If you are seeing other outcomes, let us know.

-- Andy

-- Premiere Pro Team

• 6. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
                    Andy T2 Adobe Employee

Hi bbuie1:

I'm uncertain on some of the details of your issue here, but I'm not familiar with this kind of problem. What is the source of your footage? You state that you "brought in some video footage that was already in the library that comes earlier in movie." But what kind of camera or export source did you use to create the media? This would help to diagnose the issue.

In addition, you note your sequence settings:

"My sequence settings are

Desktop

25fps

720 480

Square 1.0

No fields Progressive

I-Frame Only MPEG"

This is an odd size for 25fps, as 720x480 is usually associated with NTSC .9 pixel aspect ratio. Nonetheless, you shouldn't be seeing bouncing in the timeline. As I noted in my response below to Ann, playback of H.264-based material can result in some artifacting if the Playback Resolution is set to less than the Full setting. Is your source material using the H.264 codec? It won't play back in QT player if it is from an AVCHD device. If it is a DSLR, perhaps it is from a device we have not tested ourselves.

As to why the issue doesn't occur once the file is rendered: per your stated sequence settings, we render previews in an I-Frame Only MPEG codec, which makes for smoother playback than H.264 (hence my guess above).

Any details would be helpful in trying to provide an answer, but take a look at the Playback settings, and see if Full Resolution does not resolve the issue for you.

-- Andy

-- Premiere Pro Team

• 7. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
                      bbuie1 Level 1

Sorry for the delayed response but I am no longer having to go into A.E. so the video "bouncing" is back.  My playback resolution is set at full.  As for the odd size, this is for software training via the internet so traditional sizes that we have been indoctrinated in can be thrown out the window. Have any other solutions been presented over the last month or so?

• 8. Re: Never seen this one before - Bouncing Video
                        BrokenBoxProductions5

i'm having the same issue with certain clips as well. if you look at the close up clips, put your fingernail on a point and you will see that its bouncing, while the farther shots arent. all shot on the same camera, with the same settings used save for apeture and exposure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htlz2lG5OH4&feature=channel_video_title

shot on Canon HG10, 24pf frame rate, full rez.