16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2007 11:42 AM by Newsgroup_User

Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE

swrb1977
      Hi,

I've been looking high and low for a way to exclude class file from compiling into a swf on publish, similar to the functionality available when publishing AS2 apps (outlined here: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Liv eDocs_Parts&file=00000817.html).

I've found references on how to do this when compiling with the command-line compiler (detailed here: http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=941), but so far I've haven't been able to find anything that details how to do this in the IDE.

I'm hoping someone here might have an answer. I'm going to change my approach to a number of applications if I can't find an answer to this.

Thanks,

--Steve
        • 1. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
          Level 7
          Hi Steve,

Maybe I'm missing something but don't you simply have to remove the
          "import" statement? The only time a class will be imported and included
          is is:
          a) You import it
          and
          b) You specify a variable of that type (eg. var myType:SomeClass;)

Patrick

swrb1977 wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've been looking high and low for a way to exclude class file from compiling
          > into a swf on publish, similar to the functionality available when publishing
          > AS2 apps (outlined here:
          > http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?c
          > ontext=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000817.html).
          >
          > I've found references on how to do this when compiling with the command-line
          > compiler (detailed here: http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=941), but so far I've
          > haven't been able to find anything that details how to do this in the IDE.
          >
          > I'm hoping someone here might have an answer. I'm going to change my approach
          > to a number of applications if I can't find an answer to this.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > --Steve
          >

--
          http://www.baynewmedia.com
          Faster, easier, better...ActionScript development taken to new heights.
          Download the BNMAPI today. You'll wonder how you ever did without it!
          Available for ActionScript 2.0/3.0.
          • 2. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
            swrb1977 Level 1
            I hope that's not official solution. I'm pretty sure that removing the imports would result in compile errors and prevent successful publishing. In your example the compiler would have no idea how to type check "SomeClass".

From a workflow perspective, it would be awful to have to hunt down and remove every import for a given class before publishing. The as2 solution is simple and easy to implement. I'm hoping the CS3 solution is at least as elegant.

Thanks for the response though, Patrick, I haven't seen this topic discussed much elsewhere. Any other thoughts?
            • 3. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
              Level 7
              Hi again,

I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to do here. Presumably, if
              you're importing a class it's because you're using it, no? If not then
              why was the import added in the first place? Imports aren't
              automatically added to classes so for them to have been added, someone
              decided that they needed to use the methods/properties in those classes.
              The only time this wouldn't be true would be if someone didn't use
              common sense and simply imported all packages in every single class.
              Basically, if the class isn't being used, it shouldn't/wouldn't have
              been imported. Simply removing the class import from classes that use
              the methods will cause all sorts of compile-time errors and for good reason.

Maybe you could provide me with an example of what the actual problem
              is because I'm having trouble imagining what it is. I may also be able
              to offer a creative solution...I spent a good chunk of time developing
              an API that was flexible fro the top down so that changes in one file
              simply trickle out to the whole application without having to change
              every single file. But again....I don't know what your specific
              situation is so let's start there.

Patrick

swrb1977 wrote:
              > I hope that's not official solution. I'm pretty sure that removing the imports
              > would result in compile errors and prevent successful publishing. In your
              > example the compiler would have no idea how to type check "SomeClass".
              >
              > From a workflow perspective, it would be awful to have to hunt down and remove
              > every import for a given class before publishing. The as2 solution is simple
              > and easy to implement. I'm hoping the CS3 solution is at least as elegant.
              >
              > Thanks for the response though, Patrick, I haven't seen this topic discussed
              > much elsewhere. Any other thoughts?
              >

--
              • 4. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                swrb1977 Level 1
                I think the preamble from the Flash Documentation I linked to above ( http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Liv eDocs_Parts&file=00000817.html) sums it up pretty well:

"To reduce the size of a SWF file, you might want to exclude classes from compilation but still be able to access and use them for type checking. For example, you might want to do this if you are developing an application that uses multiple SWF files or shared libraries, especially those that access many of the same classes. Excluding classes helps you avoid duplicating classes in those files."

So, for example, I have a parent swf that loads in a child swf. The child contains references to and instances of a number of classes that happen to also be in the parent swf. Knowing this, including those classes when I publish the child swf would needlessly bloat the child swf. I would need to keep the imports inplace, though, for type-checking etc.

Does that makes sense? I've done this a number of times with AS2 apps using the instructions in the above link. Doing this in Flash CS3 for AS3 remains a mystery.
                • 5. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  it can be done in flex 2 with as3, so it should be doable with flash 9.
                  • 6. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                    SymTsb Level 2
                    flex also has the AS3 accordian component and metatag support....doesn't mean we can do it with Flash
                    • 7. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                      Level 7
                      Hi again,

If I understand correctly, you're using the child to check the parent,
                      is that right? In this scenario, your child isn't necessarily including
                      any of the parent types but since you're checking the parent for those
                      types you need to define them in the child. You may be able to do
                      something dynamically at runtime that can get around this problem but
                      I'm doing this off the top of my head so use with caution :)

First, import "flash.utils.*". This allows you to grab class definitions
                      by name at runtime. This is done like this:

try {
                      var classRef:*=getDefinitionByName('flash.display.MovieClip'); //for
                      example...can be any class
                      } catch (err:ReferenceError) {
                      trace ('MovieClip isn\'t defined');
                      }

(this will throw an error if you run it if it's not in the parent and
                      you don't do the import). You can still keep your code running though,
                      just make sure you do it in a try..catch..finally block otherwise the
                      whole execution chain stops.

Now for comparison, you simply do:

if (parentItem is classRef) {
                      trace ('Yup...it is a movie clip');
                      }

Here, classRef becomes an alias for MovieClip (getDefinitionByName does
                      this) so you can run a successful comparison. If it's not a MovieClip,
                      this will return false as expected.

Is this what you meant?

Patrick

swrb1977 wrote:
                      > I think the preamble from the Flash Documentation I linked to above
                      > ( http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?
                      > context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000817.html) sums it up pretty well:
                      >
                      > "To reduce the size of a SWF file, you might want to exclude classes from
                      > compilation but still be able to access and use them for type checking. For
                      > example, you might want to do this if you are developing an application that
                      > uses multiple SWF files or shared libraries, especially those that access many
                      > of the same classes. Excluding classes helps you avoid duplicating classes in
                      > those files."
                      >
                      > So, for example, I have a parent swf that loads in a child swf. The child
                      > contains references to and instances of a number of classes that happen to also
                      > be in the parent swf. Knowing this, including those classes when I publish the
                      > child swf would needlessly bloat the child swf. I would need to keep the
                      > imports inplace, though, for type-checking etc.
                      >
                      > Does that makes sense? I've done this a number of times with AS2 apps using
                      > the instructions in the above link. Doing this in Flash CS3 for AS3 remains a
                      > mystery.
                      >

--
                      • 8. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                        swrb1977 Level 1
                        Hmmm... not really what I meant at all. This is a very specific feature that exists for compiling AVM1 applications. The getDefinitionByName method is very useful in other situations, but not really feasible for this.

This blog post ( http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=941) describes how to do what I need using Flex Builder 2.01.

Macromedia support folk used to lurk in these forums. Any Adobe folk out there who want to add their 2 cents? I'd be content I could get an official word that this feature no longer exists. At least then I could stop beating my head against the wall.

Thanks,

--Steve
                        • 9. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                          Level 7
                          Hi Steve,

I've been a professional developer now for six years, since Flash 4, I
                          can honestly say I've never heard of this. Maybe I still don't
                          understand what it is that you're trying to do but the way I'm picturing
                          it in my head, it can't possibly work. I can't think of a single feature
                          or export setting that would do what you describe because, if I
                          understand correctly, you're making hard comparisons against something
                          that doesn't exist. Am I getting this right? You're trying to specify
                          types in your child SWF without loading any of the classes to specify
                          those types? I mean, that's a moebius strip of failed references, do you
                          know what I mean. If types aren't defined at compile time, they're
                          evaluated dynamically at runtime. If you're not importing them, you're
                          using something like getDefinitionByName (not necessarily this but
                          something similar). The compiler has to prepare the application right
                          there and then...it can't compiler part of the SWF and just say that the
                          other half will exist somewhere. If stuff is added it's evaluated
                          dynamically at runtime. If it's evaluated against a type, then the type
                          must exist. How can Flash say thisVar==String if it has no idea what a
                          String is? Maybe String exists in another SWF but how can your current
                          SWF know that?

You know, maybe we're running in circles because we're both failing to
                          properly define the problem. So...What exactly is the feature you're
                          describing? I mean, what is it called? How would you trigger it for
                          older AS2/1 style exports? In the Flash documentation, how is it
                          referred to? What is the official term for it? If it existed at some
                          point, it must have a name. Without a name, it's like trying to define a
                          type without importing the class ;)

Patrick

swrb1977 wrote:
                          > Hmmm... not really what I meant at all. This is a very specific feature that
                          > exists for compiling AVM1 applications. The getDefinitionByName method is very
                          > useful in other situations, but not really feasible for this.
                          >
                          > This blog post ( http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=941) describes how to do what I
                          > need using Flex Builder 2.01.
                          >
                          > Macromedia support folk used to lurk in these forums. Any Adobe folk out there
                          > who want to add their 2 cents? I'd be content I could get an official word that
                          > this feature no longer exists. At least then I could stop beating my head
                          > against the wall.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > --Steve
                          >

--
                          • 10. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                            Level 7
                            Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.adobe.com/livedocs/flex/201/html/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context =LiveDocs_Book_Parts&file=rsl_124_2.html

Sorry if I'm presumptuous here...if this is not what you're talking
                            about then just ignore the rest of this comment. If this is it, however,
                            this is called an external, shared, or runtime-shared library. This
                            links assets between SWFs and these assets can also have code. You can
                            use the code in the external SWFs unless you need to define types that
                            are only found in those SWFs, then you need to import the associated
                            class in the main SWF as well. Again, this is because the pieces are
                            separated and each SWF must be dealt with separately.

If you're asking if this functionality is still available, the answer is
                            yes :)

swrb1977 wrote:
                            > Hmmm... not really what I meant at all. This is a very specific feature that
                            > exists for compiling AVM1 applications. The getDefinitionByName method is very
                            > useful in other situations, but not really feasible for this.
                            >
                            > This blog post ( http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=941) describes how to do what I
                            > need using Flex Builder 2.01.
                            >
                            > Macromedia support folk used to lurk in these forums. Any Adobe folk out there
                            > who want to add their 2 cents? I'd be content I could get an official word that
                            > this feature no longer exists. At least then I could stop beating my head
                            > against the wall.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > --Steve
                            >

--
                            • 11. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              it's pretty much known as class exclusion just as swrb explained in his first post. here's some elaboration:

http://www.darronschall.com/weblog/archives/000145.cfm
                              • 12. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                                swrb1977 Level 1
                                Hi Patrick,

AFAIK, it's just called class exclusion. I'm not surprised if you're not familiar with this feature, there is no check box in the IDE to click or anything and it's only mentioned once in the documentation. This is how it works:

Let's say you have an FLA called foo.fla and let's say that foo.fla uses a class called "com.foo.ColorTween". You can tell Flash to publish this FLA without the ColorTween class by creating an XML file called "foo_exclude.xml" and placing it in the same directory as the FLA. The contents of foo_exclude.xml looks like this:

<excludeAssets>
                                <asset name="com.foo.ColorTween" />
                                </excludeAssets>

When you publish the FLA, Flash will look for this XML file. If it find it, it excludes the classes listed ("com.foo.ColorTween").

Now, if you try to run this SWF, the player will freak out when it tries to use this class. However, if you loaded this SWF into a parent SWF that already contained that class, it would be able to run fine.

This is described pretty well in this link ( http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Liv eDocs_Parts&file=00000817.html). I think Colin Moock also discusses the topic in Essential ActionScript 2.

In terms of what I am trying to do specifically, I need to export some library items as a swc, but not include the base classes. I won't go too much further into why... I don't want to further confuse the issue.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
                                • 13. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                                  swrb1977 Level 1
                                  No, RSLs don't really do what I need. Really I just need a way to exclude classes at compile time, as is possible for AVM1 apps. Thanks, though.
                                  • 14. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                                    Level 7
                                    No, I have never heard of this. I've only ever used dynamic techniques
                                    to evaluate types. If I need to use functions in classes, I include the
                                    classes. If they're included in a separate SWF, I call them there. If
                                    it's a matter of suppressing warnings, I go back to step one. If I need
                                    local instance, I go dynamic.

In all honesty, I can't say I can see why this would ever be necessary.
                                    I mean, I completely understand excluding code out of a SWF when you're
                                    not using it or if it's supplied by a parent SWF. I use this technique
                                    every day to slim down code. But:

1. If I need to use ColorTween, I dynamically evaluate it at runtime so
                                    that I don't need to include it in my child SWF (this is actually better
                                    since I can do something else if the parent doesn't have it for some
                                    reason).

2. Use the generic type *. Whatever's in the parent, use it. Depends on
                                    how important the declaration is.

3. Dynamically determine the type at runtime so that if the parent has
                                    it, I can check to see if it is a ColorTransform and, if so, use it.

The first step allows me to make my own instances, regardless of which
                                    SWF I need to use them in. The second step allows me to reference
                                    existing instances, regardless of which SWF they're in. The third step
                                    allows me to check if, either in step 1 or step 2, the type is correct.
                                    I don't think even think there's a fourth option in this list, is there?

That being said, the only time I could ever see myself needing a class
                                    exclusion is if I simply said something to the effect of:

public var myVar:ColorTransform;

...in foo.fla. But that, to me, seems very dependent and kind of
                                    pointless. If you happen to run this SWF in a parent that doesn't have
                                    ColorTransform...well, that's the end of that, no?. I mean, whatever is
                                    depending on ColorTransform is basically out of luck and you get a
                                    run-time error, is that right?. Using dynamic evaluation, the parent may
                                    or may not have it and your code can continue to run and not toss it's
                                    cookies every time it needs to use a ColorTransform instance. Also,
                                    ColorTransform can be used from another SWF, and not be hard-bound to a
                                    parent instance (pre-existing condition). The only thing is, you simply
                                    don't specify that myVar has to be a ColorTransform, you determine that
                                    at runtime.

If I understand this correctly, you may as well include the
                                    ColorTransorm class in foo.fla because if you're code is depending on it
                                    (using the above declaration), and you need to load the parent to use
                                    it...what's the difference from including it? If it's not required, why
                                    declare it or declare a strong type?

Maybe you can provide me with another example of how this is intended to
                                    work. Like I said, I understand the concept but I fail to see the
                                    practical use. I guess this may explain why I've never heard of
                                    this...the situation where this would be required has simply never come up.

Patrick

swrb1977 wrote:
                                    > Hi Patrick,
                                    >
                                    > AFAIK, it's just called class exclusion. I'm not surprised if you're not
                                    > familiar with this feature, there is no check box in the IDE to click or
                                    > anything and it's only mentioned once in the documentation. This is how it
                                    > works:
                                    >
                                    > Let's say you have an FLA called foo.fla and let's say that foo.fla uses a
                                    > class called "com.foo.ColorTween". You can tell Flash to publish this FLA
                                    > without the ColorTween class by creating an XML file called "foo_exclude.xml"
                                    > and placing it in the same directory as the FLA. The contents of
                                    > foo_exclude.xml looks like this:
                                    >
                                    > <excludeAssets>
                                    > <asset name="com.foo.ColorTween" />
                                    > </excludeAssets>
                                    >
                                    > When you publish the FLA, Flash will look for this XML file. If it find it, it
                                    > excludes the classes listed ("com.foo.ColorTween").
                                    >
                                    > Now, if you try to run this SWF, the player will freak out when it tries to
                                    > use this class. However, if you loaded this SWF into a parent SWF that already
                                    > contained that class, it would be able to run fine.
                                    >
                                    > This is described pretty well in this link
                                    > ( http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?
                                    > context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000817.html). I think Colin Moock also discusses
                                    > the topic in Essential ActionScript 2.
                                    >
                                    > In terms of what I am trying to do specifically, I need to export some library
                                    > items as a swc, but not include the base classes. I won't go too much further
                                    > into why... I don't want to further confuse the issue.
                                    >
                                    > Hope this clarifies things a bit.
                                    >

• 15. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                                      swrb1977 Level 1
                                      Hey Patrick,

Thanks for your interest.

I've just finished speaking with an Adobe support engineer regarding this issue and I just thought I'd update this thread. It seems, at present, the exclusion functionality available when publishing AS2 does not exist when publishing AS3. The engineer suggested that additional functionality might be added in an update to the software, and would be reflected in the support documentation.

This doesn't surprise me too much as this functionality did not work in the original Flex 2 SDK or FlexBuilder 2.0, but became available in the 2.01 update to FlexBuilder. I will keep my fingers crossed for the next point update to Flash.

I think this is as official as an answer as can be expected.
                                      • 16. Re: Class exclusion in AS3 in Flash IDE
                                        Level 7
                                        That's too bad. Well, if you need a workaround in the meantime, I'll be
                                        happy to help :)

Patrick

swrb1977 wrote:
                                        > Hey Patrick,
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for your interest.
                                        >
                                        > I've just finished speaking with an Adobe support engineer regarding this
                                        > issue and I just thought I'd update this thread. It seems, at present, the
                                        > exclusion functionality available when publishing AS2 does not exist when
                                        > publishing AS3. The engineer suggested that additional functionality might be
                                        > added in an update to the software, and would be reflected in the support
                                        > documentation.
                                        >
                                        > This doesn't surprise me too much as this functionality did not work in the
                                        > original Flex 2 SDK or FlexBuilder 2.0, but became available in the 2.01 update
                                        > to FlexBuilder. I will keep my fingers crossed for the next point update to
                                        > Flash.
                                        >
                                        > I think this is as official as an answer as can be expected.
                                        >

--