13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 8:44 AM by ECBowen

Blue screen crash during BluRay playback

Spoot51 Level 1

New system: Win7 (64bit), 12GB RAM,Gigabyte X58A MOBO, GTX470 vid card, Pioneer BDR-205BKS BD/DVD burner/player.

Every time I try to play a BluRay DVD authored in PPRO/Encore the system crashes after 40 seconds or so. Std Def DVDs and Commercial Discs play fine. My project BD DVDs also play fine on other pcs and BluRay players. Commercial BluRay movies seem to play fiine on the pc. My BD output is always encoded 1440X1080 using Taiyo Yuden blanks.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance??

• 1. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
          Baz R Level 3

A blu screen is usually a hardware issue. could be driver related.

Baz

• 2. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
            Spoot51 Level 1

Checked to make sure both drivers and firmware are most reccent for the Pioneer

burner. did not work. I'm completely at a loss.

• 3. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Does the system BSOD even if you have not launched the Blue Ray player software? Does your Blue Rays spin to the starting point fine and show the disc label in Windows Explorer?

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
                Spoot51 Level 1

No, system has not ever crashed  except for when described above.

Software (CyberLink PowerDVD 9) plays ok. Std def DVDs, both store bought movies and ones I have created play fine. In addition, commercial BluRay movie DVDs play ok.The only time it crashes is when I put a  BluRay DVD in that I authored in Ppro/Encore. In fact, all 3 BluRay DVDs I have made cause the thing to crash at roughly the same time frame.  Menu with music shows fine, but when I select a chapter and start playing it crashes every time after 40-50 seconds. Exact same homemade DVDs have played fine on other pcs and in BluRay players for months, so I don't think it's the DVD. Per suggestion above I made sure both Pioneer firmware and drivers are current.

Thanks for thinking about this...

• 5. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback

What are you setting your audio sample rate and bit rate to on your Blue Ray encoding? What is your audio interface? Can you run a WinDBG on your memory dump file?

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
                    Spoot51 Level 1

I will have to go back to old pc and look up project settings, but I believe the encoded audio track (alsway in stereo, not surround) is PCM 48000. I haven't ever changed the default settings in a project. Source files are various .wav, .mp3, and from my Sony HDR FX7, which mic settings are I don't know. In past I have also used tracks that I recorded into SoundBooth from old stereo LPs. When archiving my old records I cranked up the setting to 48000Hz and 24bit.

But again, when burning the DVDs it's always default settings and these discs have played and continue to play fine on other machines.

What is the hint here? Are my settings or mixing of audio sources a possible issue?

• 7. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback

The hint here is the fact the issue is tied to your encoded Blue Rays only and only on this system. Also this same system plays retail Blue Rays without issue. The issue happens after a repeatable amount of time after playback is started. The Discs are read properly by the Blue ray optical drive since they spin to the starting point and the disc lable is read by windows explorer. This tells me that the issue is either tied to the encoding your performing which means settings or to the playing software itself. Based on this the audio is the first probable culprit and should be ruled out first. Also the Cyberlink software has been sketchy at times in previous versions so that has to be looked at as well. The video and audio settings in the software need to be checked. That is where I would start until I see a WinDBG readout that points to something else.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
                        Spoot51 Level 1

Thanks, Eric. I'll try to check this stuff over the weekend. I am not literate enough to know how to use WINDBG yet, so I'll work on the other points. Your thinking process is very clear and I'm sure the answer will show up soon.

• 9. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

After a BSOD, this ARTICLE might provide tips as to what is happening on this system, with these discs. Could be as simple as a bad driver.

As has been suggested, I would make sure that any/all drivers were updated, along with the firmware of the BD drive.

What brand of blank media are you using?

What is the Transcode bit-rate used?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback
                            Spoot51 Level 1

Thanks, Bill. Good article. As stated above, Taiyo Juden blanks and default transcode settings. I 'm beginning to think it's CyberLink related. Will inform Forum when solved in case it may help someone in future....

• 11. Re: Blue screen crash during BluRay playback