8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2010 3:43 PM by shooternz

The proper way to do things

Andriante

(You'll probably have to this over slowly to see what I'm asking for)

So I've recently just started with PPRO. I bought an online Lynda course and has tought me fairly well.

I feel I know how to do most basic things, but I feel what it failed to teach me is which technique to use on what ever I'm doing. If I want to use slow-motion, there are atleast a few different techniques I can use but I don't know which one is most efficient.

Like right now; I have a certain clip. I want it to zoom in at a certain point and then zoom out.

From my knowledge there are a couple routes I could take. I'm sure there are more, but this is what I'm familiar with.

1. Creating markers to define the area I want to zoom in on. And then add the effect in between the markers. I kind of like this method best, although I'm having trouble getting it to work. (I'm actually not sure if this is possible. I don't understand markers really well)

http://gyazo.com/a24851526dbc3bc8839831a7c9478125.png

2. Using the razor tool and cutting out the piece I want to be zoomed. This method to me feels most.... messy I guess.

http://gyazo.com/c23ac3a04eb457163579a6e1aeb4f645.png

I'm just going to line up my questions in 1, 2, 3's to make it easier to answer

1. In this case, what method would be most efficient? For me it feels like the markers, but I'm having trouble learning how they work. Can they even be used for this situation? (Granted it's just a simple motion effect, zoom in and out)

2. Is using multiple sequences considered the normal way to go? Or do you guys usually just work with one sequence?

3. Do you have any suggestions on how I can become most efficient and don't get into any bad habits early on?

4. How do the markers work? Right now I'm trying to get this zoom to work. I'm using the scale tool in effects, but I can't put in any markers or key framers or what ever it's called. Why not?

http://gyazo.com/8f94292ed744d19cae711f4e8678c35c.png

Big thanks!

• 1. Re: The proper way to do things
          shooternz Level 6

I suggest you doing a little read up on Key Frames.  ( Forget the markers and razoring for the

moment)

In your last frame grab you will see a little stopwatch icon beside parameters that you can adjust.

Have a play with a parameter eg scale.  set a scale and press the stopwatch.then   move the cti  a few frames and put in a different parameter.  That will set another keyframe.,

Play with it and see what happens.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: The proper way to do things
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            what it failed to teach me is which technique to use on what ever I'm doing.

Probably because that kind of thing is very subjective.  That's why there's more than one way to do things, because different editors like doing the same thing in different ways.  Which one you like best will come more with experience than in a book.

Probably the best way to learn all the different ways of doing things is to read the entire manual (Help file) from beginning to end, experimenting with everything you read about.

• 3. Re: The proper way to do things
              shooternz Level 6

...and I concur totally with Jim. in this instance.

A respected client (Creative Director)  asked me earlier this very week as we sat editing a very urgent job.  "How do you know how to do all this stuff?"

I said  something like I just messed around with it over  time...and it all starts to work and becomes second nature.

I long ago stopped trying to learn stuff before I needed to know it.  By process of assimilation and demand (and "boning" up as required)...I get by fine.

In down times I throw in a few tutorials (eg After Effects VideoCopilot) to stretch myself.

Never ending process that is so exciting.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: The proper way to do things
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig has nailed the technique that you want.

Now, I would not "forget the Markers," but would point out that they, by themselves do not do anything directly for what you want. However, the Markers ARE for you. When you go through your Timeline, you can place them where you want the Effect, say your Zoom. Now, you will go to the Effects Control Panel, where the Keyframing work will be done. In the Timeline, you can Go To Next Marker, and that will position the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) over that first Marker. With your Clip Selected, you will also note that there is a CTI in the Effects Control Panel's mini-Timeline (if its Display is set to ON). That is where you want a Keyframe, per Craig's instruction. In the main Timeline, use Go To Next Marker, and look in the Control Panel, to see that its CTI has moved again. That is where you want your next Keyframe. So, the Markers can be helpful, when you return to do the actual work. However, they do not play an active role in the Keyframing - they just help you find where you will be working.

Also, with Keyframing, you may want to add one more per function, as you need a "starting point," and then an "ending point," later on. With a Zoom, you will have the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale set to fill the Frame (full sized) to begin. At some point, you will place a Keyframe, to lock that Scale for all preceding Frames, and THEN add a Keyframe where you want the Zoom-in to end. That second Keyframe will be adjusted to the degree of Zoom that you want. When you get to where you wish to Zoom back out, you will place a Keyframe at that point, to lock the Zoomed in Scale, and then another Keyframe to get back to the "normal" Scale.

Personally, I will add those two Keyframes (the "normal") at the points that I want. That will set the Scale at 100%. I then decide where I want the Scale manipulated, and place two more Keyframes, one at the point where my Scale is say 130%, and then the one where the 130% begins to go back to 100%. I just adjust those two "interior Keyframes" to the 130% - almost done.

With Keyframes, you have the ability to leave them as Linear Velocity, meaning that when the Effect starts, it starts at 100% Velocity, and then ends at 100% Velocity, going instantly to 0%. That might not be what you want. PrPro allows you to alter the Velocity between Keyframes in many ways. For a Zoom Effect (Motion>Scale), I'd look into doing an Ease-Out for the first Keyframe, and then an Ease-In for the next Keyframe. That means that Scale starts slowly and then speeds up, before slowing down again, where the Zoom ends. Test. Remember, there are other ways to adjust the Velocity, but their discussion gets rather involved. Here, I would suggest reading the Help Files closely.

Once you have the concept of Keyframes down, you will see that they are easier to use, than to read, or write about.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: The proper way to do things
                  expeditionwest Level 1

Shooternz - I've never met a post of yours I didn't like.

Kismet (LOL)

I learn by doing, banging my head, reading up on it, banging my head again, doing it backwards, sideways and in-n-out.

Eventually i find the solution. I then read on the forum and see someone telling me the solution THAT DAY.   LOL.

A bit of an exaggeration, but true mostly to the point.

I've had Ppro 1.5 since the mid 90's and just recently migrated to CS5 (and Win7.64 of course) and have found the migration somewhat easy. That's all good, cause my head hurts from all the previous banging. It's a learning process.

expedtionwest

• 6. Re: The proper way to do things
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree on Craig's contributions. We got a bit worried about the bloke, when that earthquake hit NZ, but then he reported in that he had survived (earthquake on the South Island). Still we were worried - but don't tell him of that concern.

Hunt

• 7. Re: The proper way to do things
                      shooternz Level 6

Yikes

Your post (earthquakes) just made me take a glance around the space that I have my edit suites and produc

tion company in.

It is built really solidly in concrete about 1ft thick and that includes the floor above me (my ceiling) ...but it is probably 100 years old.

It will either stay together or..... crash in with no hope of escape at all.

Might just take the day off and go for a motorbike ride in the country.

• 8. Re: The proper way to do things
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Might just take the day off and go for a motorbike ride in the country.

You know, some times that is the solution to many worries.

Enjoy the countryside,

Hunt