11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2010 4:23 PM by mikeklar

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question

mikeklar Level 1

Having just ordered a Quadro FX 3800 I looked at the specifications from the manufacturer, Lenovo, and find what appears to be specifications that are printed in error, I hope.

My question; since there are several manufacturers of this graphics card are all NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 cards built to NVIDIA's specifications?

Also, has anyone here purchased this card made by Lenovo?

FYI, the specifications as written by Lenovo are confusing as per the following:

- it references the 1GB memory as "1GB Dual DisplayPort"  without a comma between the 1GB and the DisplayPort

As well for the memory it denotes the following which appears to be a completely different card...

- Video RAM maximum 256 MB

- Video RAM std/max 256MB

- Video RAM type GDDR3

I purchased this through CDW where the specifications are correctly denoted.

Trusting none of you are offended this not being a Premier CS5 question, however the card is being purchased for this program

Cheers,

Michael

• 1. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

My understanding was that all the Quadro series boards are manufactured by nVidia directly.  I'm assuming that Lenovo simply distributes these cards like several other system manufacturers, and they just have fuzzy details on the card specs.

• 2. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Without contradicting Wil, I do know that with the mainstream cards, manufacturers are free to tweak them as they see fit.   Things like core clock, memory capacity and speed could vary from one brand to another.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
              mikeklar Level 1

Wil

Thank you for your input.  It is my understanding that only the chip set from NVIDIA is being used and the board is manufactured by a number of companies, such as Hewlat Packard, PNY, Lenovo etc.  I came to this conclusion when I researched the quadro fx 4800 (which, unfortunately due to its size I cannot use), NVIDIA's web site directed me to the manufacturer for information.

Hence, my concern that all these cards do meet NVIDIA's specification.

Cheers,

Michael

• 4. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                mikeklar Level 1

Jim

The fact that manufacturers can tweak them to a different specification is worrysome and the reason for my posted question.

Let's hope this is not the case.  At least I have one consolation, in that CDW is a large and reputable company and their documented specifications are the same as NVIDIA's

Cheers,

Michael

• 5. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Michael,

Both Jim and Wil were correct.

All Quadro cards are manufactured by nVidia and no one else. They may be marketed by companies like PNY, but nVidia makes then. It makes no difference whether a Quadro is marketed by Lenovo or PNY, they all come from a nVidia plant and all are exactly the same. There are no custom Quadros.

All GeForce cards are manufactured by a number of companies, like Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc. and all nVidia does is to supply the GPU chip. For the rest it is up to the manufacurer to set clock speed, memory size and speed, fan, etc.

Whether you want to spend around 5 - 6 times the price for a lesser specced Quadro, just because it is a Quadro instead of a GTX, that is completely up to you.

• 6. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                    mikeklar Level 1

Thank you Harm

You are correct the only references to "chip set from nVidia" that I've read were to other than Quadro FX cards.

In this case Lenovo's inaccurate specifications (i.e. referencing an different card "Quadro NVS 295" under "Graphics specification") was the reason for this post.

Thank you again for your response and I'll know in a few days ...

Regarding your comment   -  "whether you want to spend around 5-6 times the price for a lesser specced Quadro, just because it is a Quadro instead of a GTX, that is completely up to you"   I'm curious what you mean by that?

Cheers,

Michael

• 7. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Michael,

A Quadro 5000 is around $ 2 K, a GTX-470 is around $ 400 and has more cores, better memory bus, higher clock speeds, etc.

• 8. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                        mikeklar Level 1

Ouch

Are you saying I'm wasting my money

Cheers

Michael

• 9. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                          mikeklar Level 1

Having just received, but not yet installed the FX 3800 card, I note that Lenovo have corrected their specs for it.

I'm curious about one item and that is the handle on this card, which is quite substantial and there is absolutely no mention of it in any referencing literature. Also, the package came with an extra computer case fan, for which I may have a future use and a couple of useless items.

What makes me curious about the "handle", while its obvious intention is to prevent having to put ones hands on the circuit board the weight of the assembled card the handle might actually cause fractures of circuits on the board.

Right or wrong, that's my observation.

In case you haven't seen the handle, which at first glance looks like it has another function such as acting as a heat sink,  Or if you have a canoe as a paddle :-)  See the image below... if it uploads... Cheers, Michael

• 10. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Those are normally used on longer expansion cards that are not full length cards to help stabilize the card in a rackmount. If you look in larger Full towers and rackmounts these days, they have slot holders on the front part of the case incase you have a full length card that needs to be stabilized. Just remove that since that card has no need for it.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 question
                              mikeklar Level 1

Thank you Eric

There had to be a better answer than my conjecture