10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 12:00 PM by Mortimer IOU

Differences between official and hacked gtx 470 support

Steve C2 Level 2

Are there any noticeable differences between the official support for the GTX 470 and the hacked version?

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
          RamsdenM

.. although I had to redo the hack, which was working fine, and still does, with my GTX480

• 2. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
            Steve C2 Level 2

I've also noticed that the GTX 480 hack still works.  However, I think that it is a reasonable assumption that if the GTX 480 works as Adobe expects it to, it would have been certified along with the GTX 470.

• 3. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
              Jim_Simon Level 9

That may not be a fair assumption.  It's entirely possible Adobe hasn't officially added the 480 because they didn't get a chance to finish testing it.

Lacking approval and not working are two entirely different things.  The former doesn't necessarily imply the latter.

• 4. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
                Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Jim,

It might not be a fair assumption and yet could still be a reasonable assumption.  There is no way to know, outside of Adobe and other people who might have been invited to participate in testing, if the GTX 480 was, in fact, tested.  But one can say, in any case, that a product that hasn't successfully completed testing, or passed the benchmarks that have been established for it, simply "hasn't completed testing".

Regardless of the assumption that I made, the GTX 480 can still "work".  Adobe's announcement might simply mean that it has higher expectations before it provides official support and those of us who choose to use the hack use it our own risk.  Again, this is nothing but conjecture.

Another "reasonable" assumption is that if Adobe chose to test the GTX 470 and ignore the GTX 480 for now, then Adobe has truly made a "remarkable" decision.

Steve

• 5. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Apart from technical aspects, that can influence whether a card is certified or not, there may be other considerations, because Adobe is a US based publicly traded company, such as http://www.soxlaw.com/

• 6. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
                    Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Harm,

Thanks for your info.  Never thought about the possibility of Sarbanes-Oxley playing a role in product support releases.

I hope this gets to you because I cannot find the original post in the forum at this time.  If you do get this message, I'd like to get your perspective since it seems that you know a lot about hardware and performance with Premiere.  My impression, from something that I rendered last night, is that Premiere 5.02 is possibly rendering faster with 4GB ram than Premiere 5/5.01 did with 8GB RAM.  Does this seem possible to you?

• 7. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The most obvious performance gain in 5.02 is with MPEG2 encoding. There are a number of MPE enhancements that can sometimes improve performance in specific situations with more than 50%. I'm not familiar with all the effects this applies to, but this update is another sizable improvement and well worth the wait IMO. There are of course still things to improve, as there always are with each program, for instance the scale to frame size effect, but give it time and those may be added.

I can't say that overall the performance improvement is such that reducing memory from 8 to 4 GB will still give you a performance benefit, because there are just too many factors in play here, source dimensions, number of tracks, effects applied, VRAM available, etc.

I know this does not answer your question, but it is the best I have at this moment.

• 8. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
                        dradeke Adobe Employee

Never thought about the possibility of Sarbanes-Oxley playing a role in product support releases.

But we have to think about it EVERY TIME.  It has to be in the front of our minds unfortunately...

• 9. Re: Dunno, but hacked GTX 480 still works ...
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Steve if you look at all the successful users of the GTX 480 (8 out of the top 20) on Harm and my PPBM5 Benchmark site I believe you will have confirmation that the GTX 480 works well.

• 10. Re: Differences between official and hacked gtx 470 support
                            Mortimer IOU Level 2

I locked the repeat of this thread and will delete it.

Here are the additional comments posted that might be of use on this thread.

From Harm

"Steve,

In your other  thread I replied to your performance question, but it basically boils  down to the fact that certification does not improve performance. It is  only a guarantee that extensive testing has been done and Adobe feels  certain they can provide good support if you have any CUDA related issue  with these cards.

Using the hack on non-certified cards  does nothing to performance. There is no difference between a hacked 470  or the certified 470. The performance is determined by the efficiency  of the algorithms used for CUDA supported functions. In 5.02 there are a  lot of enhancements, and a number still missing, but overall there is a  sizable performance gain.

Unfortunately there can never  be one clear cut answer to your curiosity, because it is a moving  target. CUDA has been updated to a newer version, nVidia drivers have  had a significant update, the PR code has been updated significantly and  CUDA support for a number of effects has been improved or enhanced."

From Steve

"Hi Harm,

I might have conveyed something that I didn't intend.

I  don't mean to suggest that certification necessarily means improved  performance.  Without knowing how the GTX 470 was tested, I asked my  question with the thought that Adobe could have optimized some software  after reviewing early test results.

I am guessing here,  but I would think that the video card certification process is just a  short term thing.  At some future point, as the Mercury technology  further matures, it might actually become counter-productive, if every  possible graphics card were to be certified.

In the  meantime, the certification process might mean, in some cases, that a  certified video card will either perform or behave better than if it had  not been certified."