15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 8:15 AM by Reynolds (Mark)

dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group

Stillwater21

When I try to delete a layer group, a popup comes up with three options: "cancel", "group only", & "group and contents". This is a very useful feature....if there is something in the layer group.

However, if the layer group is empty, this popup becomes a pointless annoyance. The "group only" and "group and contents" options are completely meaningless, since they both do exactly the same thing in this instance. The "cancel" is pretty pointless too: deleting an empty layer group is hardly a significant event, so why the extra "are you sure?" step. I don't get the option of cancelling when I delete a layer that actually has content in it, so why would I need one for deleting a layer group that's completely empty?

Empty layer groups are usually the result of an aborted decision, or are left over once their child layers have been deleted, or after their layers have been rearranged/consolidated with some other layer group. In other words, the main reason why someone would want to delete an empty layer group is for housekeeping: to clean up the layer pallette and get things more organised, elegant and streamlined. Forcing an annoying and useless popup onto them while they try to do this conflicts with that desire: it creates a speedbump where the user is trying to remove one.

In my work, I delete empty layer groups all the time, and I find this popup very annoying each time.

Please, change this!

• 1. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Picture 26.jpg

… will dissappear with no dialog if you do this. Full or empty

• 2. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
            Stillwater21 Level 1

Thanks for your answer, though it doesn't really address my problem. My issue is with the popup slowing me down and reducing my efficiency. Clicking on that little icon would be just as slow. Hotkeys are much faster (I use hotkeys to delete layers and/or layer groups)

• 3. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Ok this action …

Picture 28.png

… will set a single key hotkey for you to do this. It brings up no dialog, and very easy to record.

And here's hoping that this time you have the courtesy to come back and say honestly "thanks sorted my problem Mark!", rather than grumbling … "ohhh thats not what I meant" again.

• 4. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                Stillwater21 Level 1

You have got to be kidding me. If you really think I was obliged to come back and 'honestly' say "thanks sorted my problem Mark!", then let me spell out to you why I didn't:

Please note that this post is in the "Feature Requests" section. The message of the post wasn't "help, I need to know how to delete a layer group without a dialogue" - it was "I've identified what I think is an oversight in your interface design and I request that Adobe improves it for CS6." A simple feature request. Adobe can listen to it or ignore it - up to them; I didn't expect anyone to respond, nor did I particularly want anyone to.

What you offered me was a workaround to the problem, and a somewhat inefficient workaround at that. Yes, your second suggestion was better, but still not perfect: I would have to take up another precious hotkey slot, and every time I wanted to delete a layer goup I would have to stop and think which hotkey to use - the dialogue one or your non-dialogue action. Not a bad outcome, but certainly not as efficient as it could be, and it still misses the point of my post: I was suggesting an improvement to the core interface that everyone could benefit from - not asking for a workaround for my own personal use.

So, I was grateful for the time it took you to offer it (and I said as much), but it didn't "sort" my problem, and in fact it seems like you kind of misunderstood my "problem" in the first place.

Do me a favour, Mark. If your 'help' is always going to come with such a smug sense of self-assuredness, and you're going to chastise me whenever I dare suggest that your solution is less than perfect, then please don't 'help' me anymore.

• 5. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                  Gyno-jiz Level 5

Have you tried all combinations of keys crl-alt-option-command-shift while dialoguing it? I'm on a laptop now, but I'm pretty sure it's possible. Maybe not. Certainly from the layer menu it is, but I'm assuming you're right-clicking on the group.

• 6. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                    retouchMOJO Level 1

On my Mac in CS5 I hit the delete key and layer sets are deleted immediately, with no dialog box, no matter whether or not they have contents.

Michael Lamy

• 7. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                      Gyno-jiz Level 5

Yeah I think it's a laptop thing. But I think the OP needs to explain things a bit more, saying they use hotkeys, then saying they don't.

• 8. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                        retouchMOJO Level 1

Ah, I didn't catch that part if the conversation. Nit sure what you mean that it's a laptop thing? Delete key on Mac Pro and Macbook Pro immediately deletes layer sets no questions asked empty or full in CS5.

Pixels in... MOJO out!

http://retouchMOJO.com

Michael Lamy

e • Michael@retouchMOJO.com

m • (913)940-0024

Become a Facebook FAN http://www.facebook.com/retouchMOJO

• 9. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                          Stillwater21 Level 1

@J Maloney: I'm guessing you mean holding down alt-ctrl-shift and  then going up to the top menu and choosing Layer>Delete>Group. I  just tried that, and it does indeed skip the dialogue, which is good to  know. But it doesn't help me, because I find using the menu for  something as frequent as deleting a group too time-consuming, with or  without the dialogue box. I also find right-clicking and using the  context menu too time-consuming, so no, I don't right-click. I use a  hotkey for deleting groups (I'm not sure why you thought I didn't - I  never said I don't use hotkeys). I can't remember if it has a hotkey by  default or if I set a custom one. Obviously the alt-ctrl-shift  thing is incompatible with using hotkeys.

@Michael  Lamy: I'm at home at the moment, using CS3 on the PC, and neither  backspace or delete have the effect of deleting a layer group. I use CS5  on a Mac at work though, so I'll try it out next week. If it works like  that on my Mac as it does on yours (I don't see why it wouldn't), then  that's very helpful. Thanks! Though I still like the idea of having a dialogue pop up automatically when there is content in the layer group and not pop up when there isn't. The reason for this is because sometimes I need to delete a layer folder without being totally sure of whether it's empty or not, and without wanting to destroy its contents if it turns out to be not empty.

I think my original point, as it relates to the Layer>Delete>Group  fuctionality, still stands. The dialogue is unnecessary when the group  is empty and in my opinion should be removed.

• 10. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                            Gyno-jiz Level 5

Obviously the alt-ctrl-shift  thing is incompatible with using hotkeys.

Are you sure about that? Assign it an FKey and you're good to go.

• 11. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                              Stillwater21 Level 1

That doesn't work. If it did, there'd be conflicts. For example, say you assigned "delete layer group" to F6 and something else like, say, "smart sharpen" to Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F6. The smart sharpen hotkey would no longer work because Photoshop would think that you're trying to delete a layer group while over-riding a dialogue.

• 12. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Stillwater, two have us have now given you the best possible solution. The solution we have given you is neither a workaround or "somewhat inefficient"

The smart sharpen hotkey would no longer work because Photoshop would think that you're trying to delete a layer group while over-riding a dialogue.

F key Shortcuts don't work like that. They will not override each other in the way you are assuming - you clearly haven't even had the good grace to try it. On an extended keyboard there are 76 different independant shortcuts that you can define, completely customizable.

Your Feature Request is not a Feature Request because once again …  the feature already exists. And it exists in a much better way than you have asked for.

If you want any more help with basic Photoshop knowledge by all means come back and ask.

• 13. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                                  Stillwater21 Level 1

More smugness and sarcasm. Thanks. Perhaps you're not really one to talk about 'good grace', Mark.

Actually, I did try it, before I made my previous post. On CS3 on a PC, remapping "delete layer group" to F6 and then pressing F6 in conjunction with Ctrl-alt-shift does not delete a layer group - it does nothing (probably because I have nothing mapped to the hotkey combination of ctrl-alt-shift-F6).

Anyway, this is all completely irrelevant to the point of the thread. It simply doesn't matter how many good alternate ways there are to delete a layer group. Even if we all agree that there are many of them and that they are all fantastic, it simply doesn't matter: my comment relates specifically and solely to "layer>delete>group", and to the unnecessary dialogue it produces when used on an empty layer group. As long as this method of deleting exists in the software, it is legitimate to ask for it to be streamlined/improved, regardless of whether or not alternate methods exist. To those people who use that method of deleting, there is a needless hurdle that I believe could and should be removed.

If there are any Adobe people reading this, please consider my feedback. Or not. Up to you. To everyone else, please just move on. This thread has become convoluted way beyond what it ever needed to be. I'm done. Mark, feel free to have the last word; I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• 14. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                                    retouchMOJO Level 1

@Stillwater it's not smugness. He is simply stating fact. You are using a 2 version old Photoshop, and you have posted for I think 2 days doubting and denying advise without trying it. Feature requests should not be posted here based on legacy software, because often the request has already been implemented in the current version. Time to upgrade and/or RTFM. Keep in mind that sometimes free advise may also be very honest. Run with it!

• 15. Re: dont ask anything when deleting empty layer group
                                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Its nothing to do with "legacy software", those shortcuts and options have existed since Layer Groups were introduced in Photoshop 6, ten years ago.