9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 1:09 PM by the_wine_snob

PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm writing this after reading about problems some people are having with the PPro 5.0.2 update

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 has a link to what I built for CS5... I am using the 197.45 nVidia driver for my GTX 285

I edit AVCHD from a Canon Vixia HFS100 camera, and DV AVI from old VHS tapes, digitized by a Pinnacle Dv500 card

Based on LIMITED editing (I don't anything very fancy) I find no problems with the PPro 5.0.2 update

When starting a new project, all the presets I remember are there (of course, I may just not remember something that is missing)

My existing AVCHD project opened with no problems, and exported to NTSC DV Widescreen with no problems

This is just one computer, and very simple projects, but everything works

• 1. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
          Jim Hines Level 1

Hey I want to chime in on that too - just so others know that it can't be a total fail because it works on my box real well also. I'm using an off the shelf Dell more or less - i7 3Ghz 12 gigs of ram ATI 4800 two internal SATA's on external eSata raid 0 and a couple of  other drives attached with USB - Firewire Deck - mostly HDV short form editing - love to tackle something longer - but I'm not a casual user - I use it everyday - I worked with it all day today after installing the update last night - I experienced noticable performance improvements - I was compiling a project which consisits of imported PPRo project sequences - about 30 of them and it was smooth as silk and fast. In the past the same type of project - worked well but sluggish -  it's noticalby better now. That is my experience thus far. I offer it up not to gloat but just so there is evidence of it working and to possibly give hope to those who may be struggling.

Also, I was having an issue before with clicking out side of PPro and then when I returned to the program it took a  moment to reload the files - turns out that was either an incompatability with my particular anti virus (AVAST) or I had not configured it properly. I uninstalled that product and installed another (AVG) and all is well now.

• 2. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
            Eric Addison User Group Manager

Working fine here too...rock solid so far!

• 3. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
              eddiem100

Yep, mine is working very well now too.  That antivirus tip earlier Jim did the trick.  When I uninstalled it entirely, it worked fine.  The update solves a lot of problems.

• 4. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
                Jim Hines Level 1

Cool man. Come back and tell us how the shoot in Italy goes.

Rock on!

• 5. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
                  Andy Urtu Level 1

Just want to add the 5.02 went fine here.  I deleted all media cache, preview, and prefs before installing.

• 6. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No complaints here.

Did have to deinstall run Clean Script and reistall and then update. Its up and running just fine.

John you might want to update your videodriver, you are two versions behind.

• 7. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
                      Alan Craven Level 4

Didn't have to do a thing except run the install - I always avoid installing via the update on the help menu. Preferences, etc. all left as they were.

I should add that this is a Matrox RTX2 system, using their beta drivers.

Like Jim, above, I found that there is a definite improvement in performance.  The new Mercalli stabiliser effects no longer need to be rendered, despite having only a GTS 250 card, and a Q9650 processor with 8 GB of RAM.

• 8. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>might want to update your videodriver, you are two versions behind

I am a member of the "if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it" school of thought

My GTX 285 is now "old and out of date" itself, so as long as everything **I** want to do works properly, I am not going to mess with the driver

I do have driver versions 257.21 and 258.96 downloaded and saved on a data drive, but will ONLY look into installing if I try something in PPro and it doesn't work... AND I can trace whatever it is that isn't working to the video card

Until then, I will stick with the 197.45 driver

• 9. Re: PPro 5.0.2 update works OK for Me
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

I am in your camp, but with EVERY OS update, or hot-fix, I do download the latest, and keep it handy - just in case. Unless I have an issue with my Adobe programs, I don't install the new drivers. I also keep older drivers, again just in case.

Hunt