1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 5:42 AM by Colin Brougham Branched to a new discussion.

Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?

dradeke Adobe Employee

The Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update is available.

Have you installed it?

Does it improve your editing experience? Make it worse?

Does it add some new feature that you like or needed?

How does it feel?

Etc.

Thanks,

Dennis

• 1. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
          eddiem100 Level 1

Well, I can tell you so far the update (used it via the premiere update for windows and originally did electronic download installation) went fine for me and as well the previous lag clicking in and out of  the application, subject of several threads, has dramatically improved!  So far so good!

• 2. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
            bonhomie1512 Level 1

Regarding update 5.0.2,  if you are able to install it on windows then I have noticed issues with the existing projects,  not able to use some effects,but it has speed up rendering .

We were expecting this release to be the good one.My friend has faced issues even installing updates on MAC regarding premiere pro cs5.

I said MY THOUGHT.

Vinay.

• 3. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
              Andy Urtu Level 1

Update went perfectly smooth ( I used update via Premiere Pro) Makes my editing better.

Adobe fixed some key bugs for me. (h264 export had color shift, JVC xdcam Files, NanoFlash audio problem etc)

Great update.  I want to encourage Adobe management to keep posting the fixes in detail like they did this time in the readme. It is nice to see what was actually fixed, rather than having everyone "guessing" what was fixed. 

• 5. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The patcher did not work for me. It required a complerte uninstall, Clean Script and reinstall and then the update. In addition, the taskbar icons for AI, EN, PS and SB have magically disappeared. Removing the applications from the taskbar and pinning them afresh does not help, changing the icon does not help. The only thing that works is to disable "Use small icons" and the normal icons appear. Turn on the "Use small icons" option and they are gone.

See images below. This has never happened befrore. No video driver change, only the move from #70 to #75.

3-9-2010 22-11-09.png

3-9-2010 22-12-51.png

Notice the missing icons for AI, EN, PS and SB with the small icon setting. Haven't yet figured out how to resolve this.

• 6. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                  Alan Craven Level 4

Harm,

I think your system must need what you refer to as a "doorstop".  I had no trouble at all installing the patch on my Matrox system.

But then, I always install the patches from a download.  Patching from within a running programme strikes me as being potentially suicidal.  In desperation, I will update starting from Bridge, but I close it as soon as I have contact with the update.  If you do update from within Bridge and choose not to close it, you always get a message sayoing it mudt be closed to continue;  if you start within Premiere, you do not get that message, but I am sure that you should.

• 7. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                    Steve Liles Level 1

I feel I should reply as I'm kind of complaining on the AVCHD Transition thread. My background is software development and I know that no matter how hard you work and how many hours you put in people will always focus on the problems so I would like to say that this release has been very much anticipated and the overall effect for me having had two solid days on it is a much better experience. I am disappointed the AVCHD transition issue still stutters but at least it doesn't halt and grabbing the scrub does allow me to see what is happening so I can use it although obviously it will be much better when it's smooth. There was a fault with some clips just turning black when playing and rendering which has been fixed (so I don't need to go and recreate those clips) and the lag time when moving into the project has been erased so all in all a much more pleasant experience for me. On top of that I took the trouble to read the release notes and can hardly believe how much has gone into this release, so well done Adobe.

Forums by their nature are always going to have more negativity as we tend to come onto them when we have problems so this is a chance to at least say thanks Adobe for some major re-addressing work and from a Forum point of view thanks to Jeremy and the gang for their time on this forum.

Right then - where's my AVCHD transition thread so I can continue to complain again!!!!!

• 8. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                      Taverino Level 2

Perfectly smooth install for me on Windows 7. I've been working on a single, existing project with HDV footage all day, with no problems. Feels snappier, but can't run any comparison benchmarks since I no longer have 5.0 and have added a lot of new assets today to the project. Don't understand why Nvidia GTX 480 is not on the supported CUDA list, but re-applied hack continues to work well.

What I really want to say to Adobe is that you may be better served by distributing new versions as release candidates much like the Lightroom team recently did for 3.2. People like me would immediately download them, even if there may be some rough edges. We would give you much needed feedback without the negative reactions you are witnessing today from people expecting a flawless update. Just a thought.

• 9. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No complaints here other than had to deinstall run clean script reinstall and update.

At first it did not matter if the update came from within Premiere, the Bridge or the download it would not install.

Now up and running, no lag between apps. Runs very smooth. I am HAPPY.

• 10. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Alan,

False alarm. A refresh of my video drivers solved the issue. What caused this I haven't the faintest idea, but a new installation worked. I have all the icons back. Nevertheless, it would have been nice to have the patcher work like [AME and After Effects] [(edited by forum host)].

• 11. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                            Studio North Films Level 3

I have been waiting for this update for a while now, and to my suprise had a notifacation via windows to download the update. all installed fine. I did a quick benchmark test with the PPBM5. MPEG exports are alot faster than before, noticed the GPU is getting used alot more than 5.01.

Baz

• 12. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                              AudoWarp Level 1

GPU acceleration is gone.

I have the GTX 480.

And now, magically, with this update, no ability to play my projects smooothly.

• 13. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                                Studio North Films Level 3

Hi, did you redo the Hack ??? as I also have the GTX 480 and all works fine.

Baz

• 14. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You need to re-apply the hack. Just change the 470 to 480 in the cuda file.

• 16. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What is they say about "great minds?"

Hunt

PS - though not in your leagues, I was about to offer the same thing, but then each of your posts popped-up.

• 17. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                                      shooternz Level 6

Sorted my issue ( faulty HDD) which incidentally had nothing to do with the Update and PPRO now seems fine.

First impression ...its very , very responsive and "elastic"  This may be something I was missing prior update  due to the faulty drive where my Project files resided. (ie not media, just project).

My install was from the Updater and not a download.  I can now say that was faultless and perfect.

All is good with the world ( except for the edits I have to re-do)

• 18. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                                        RDA972 Level 3

Everything is going like clockwork here.

I ran the update from Bridge which installed everything without a hitch.

Needless to say, I'm particularly pleased to report that the audio bug affecting the files from the Sony PMW-350 camera is history.

Good riddance, if you ask me.

• 19. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro 5.02 update thus far?
                                          dradeke Adobe Employee

Thank you all for the feedback.  Overall, it looks like most people are pretty happy and we're very glad to hear that.  We really did pack a lot of stuff into this release so it feels bigger than the version number it implies.  If anyone else has comments, please put 'em here.

Dennis

• 21. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                            Frank Glencairn

Some effects like frame hold, and everything with time does not work until I place a title (even an empty one) in the timeline above.

Pretty strange.

Frank

• 22. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                              Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Dennis,

My experience with 5.02 has been good, but my experience with 5 and 5.01 were also good.  For the things that I do and the hardware that I have, there might be improvements in rendering and transcoding times.  I say "might" because it's perceptual.  I don't have written records that I can compare to from the two earlier releases.  I would call the improvement noticeable, but not earth-shattering.

One feature request...Encore chapter markers, as implemented within a Premiere project should be recognized by Encore, when one exports to a file and then imports it into an Encore project.  Right now, the markers only seem to be recognized via the Premiere dynamic link to Encore.

One bug that has been present since the first release of CS5...If I start Premiere immediately after booting my pc and don't wait "long enough", I can get an error saying that the MPE is not available.  The workaround is simple.  Close Premiere (not the project) and restart it.

Steve

• 23. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                One feature request...Encore chapter markers, as implemented within a Premiere project should be recognized by Encore, when one exports to a file and then imports it into an Encore project.  Right now, the markers only seem to be recognized via the Premiere dynamic link to Encore.

This already exists. You have to select MPEG-2 DVD as your format, but the chapter marks will be exported and saved in a sidecar file, and then will be read into the Encore timeline when you import the resulting M2V file into Encore. There is no reason to add this capability to AVI export; the markers wouldn't be read by any other DVD authoring application, and if you want Encore to do the transcoding, it makes much more sense to use Dynamic Link.

• 24. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                  Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Colin,

I mentioned this as a feature request, since there seem to be different views, in another posting, regarding whether this should be a feature.  If one did choose, for whatever reason, to create an MPEG-2, wouldn't one essentially be compressing twice - once by Premiere and once by Encore?  Wouldn't an uncompressed AVI avert that problem?

Thanks,

Steve

• 25. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                    If one did choose, for whatever reason, to create an MPEG-2, wouldn't one essentially be compressing twice - once by Premiere and once by Encore?  Wouldn't an uncompressed AVI avert that problem?

This is fodder for another thread/discussion, but the short answer is no. Since DVDs by their nature require video to be encoded using MPEG2, this is what Encore is doing sort of behind the scenes whether you drop in an uncompressed or otherwise compressed video file, or you send in a Premiere Pro sequence via Dynamic Link. If you export using the MPEG2-DVD format from Premiere, you are creating DVD-compliant video assets that you can drop into Encore with no further transcoding. In fact, Encore will tell you in the Project Panel whether an asset needs to be transcoded or not; if it's compliant, it'll be marked as "Don't Transcode." A video that needs to be transcoded will say "Untranscoded."

There are two schools of thought here. One is that you can let Encore calculate the "best" compression settings for your video by importing an AVI or similar video file or by Dynamic Linking; the other is that you do the space and bitrate calculations yourself and specify these in AME. You set those settings and end up with an exported M2V (MPEG2 Video) file and an audio file of some sort; you can drop these into Encore and author a DVD without any need for further transcoding/compression. Assuming the same bitrate and other settings between the programs, the video will look exactly the same; it only makes a difference what you prefer for your workflow. I, personally, prefer to set my transcoding settings myself, so I use the latter approach. The chapter marks we've been discussing--assuming they've been set properly in Premiere--will follow the M2V file into Encore.

Anyway, the point is that for all practical purposes, there is no reason to export an AVI (uncompressed or otherwise) from Premiere for use in Encore. Whether you encode an MPEG2 file according to the parameters you set or according to the parameters automatically set by Encore is really the only question.

• 26. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                      Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Colin,

Could you clarify this...You're saying that Encore has the intelligence to not compress an MPEG-2 that was imported into it, since it has already been compressed.

Steve

• 27. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

That's correct... though I don't know that I'd call it intelligence

DVD Video HAS to be MPEG2--no ifs, ands, or buts. Furthermore, there is a fairly limited set of encoding parameters that will create DVD-compliant MPEG2 video--that is, video that will playback on all (or at least most) DVD players. Encore removes a lot of the guesswork involved in fitting within the bracket of bitrates and other settings that are required to generate DVD-compliant video; just bring in any non-compliant asset and Encore will go to work. If you prefer more manual control from AME, or if you use a different third-party MPEG2 video encoder (freeware or payware) to create your MPEG2 video assets, you can bring these into Encore without having to transcode them again--so long as they are encoded to DVD Video specifications. I say this because you can't just drop any ol' MPEG2 video into Encore and expect it to work; it has to meet certain criteria, from bitrate, to frame size, to frame rate, to a number of other more vaporous factors. Encore will tell you if something needs trancoding, as I mentioned above.

Try it yourself; export a short bit of video and select MPEG2-DVD from the AME settings window. Pick one of the presets that matches your source footage (there are actually a couple presets that will "morph" to provide the best output) and export. You'll get an M2V file, which is the video, and an audio file of some form (WAV, MP2, or AC3) depending on which encoder you choose. Drag these into Encore, and you'll see that one of the columns will say "Don't transcode." That's because these assets are already DVD-compliant, and ready to go.

Make sense?

• 28. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                          shooternz Level 6

You guys have jacked the thread a bit ...dont ya think!

• 29. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for noticing... glad you could help.

• 30. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                              richardtknight Level 1

since doing the update have had huge problems capturing !

see this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3142852#3142852

Have captured hundreds of hours no problem in the past all same footage type, same pc etc etc but now it just crashes all the time.

Please fix asap !!

• 31. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                                                > since doing the update have had huge problems capturing !

Please file a bug report.

• 32. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                  Frank Glencairn Level 1

Am I the only one that has problems with transitions and effects, that don´t render/work?

Frank

• 33. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                    jeremy d. Level 3

Frank Glencairn wrote:

Am I the only one that has problems with transitions and effects, that don´t render/work?

Frank

You should start another thread (search first, I suppose; others may have the same symptoms), and please be a bit more specific.

Thanks.

• 34. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                      Steve C2 Level 2

Hi,

Respectfully, what is wrong with someone expressing their problems with their post-5.0.2 installation here.  Doesn't Dennis' original  request ask for exactly this type of feedback?  In addition to posting the problem here, it might also be useful and to call Adobe Technical Support.

Does it improve your editing experience? Make it worse?

Does it add some new feature that you like or needed?

How does it feel?

Etc.

Thanks,

Steve

• 35. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

My suggestion would be to do two posts, one with the outline of the problems for Dennis' thread, and then another one, with the full info and details so that others can offer input and hopefully some resolution.

What happens, when one posts a problem to a long thread, or an older thread, of a thread on another subject, is that subscribers, who may have some good comments, will not see the post. When one comes to the forum and Searches for solutions to their problems, it's so much easier to pick out posts with titles that describe what the issue is. Were I looking for solutions on Transitions, this would not be a thread that I would look into, unless I totally exhausted all other options.

I do think that Dennis would want your observations (there I go, putting words in Dennis' mouth), but I'd still do a new post, with the full details. Unless this IS a Bug, then someone can very likely help you with the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                          Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unless I am missing something, I didn't take the comments about a misplaced comment as being directed towards my entry.  I only responded because Dennis was encouraging feedback and I think that we all could benefit, in the long run, if he gets all the feedback that he can get..

As far as whether there is a software defect (I think the issue deals with transitions and effects), I don't know enough to comment.  All I can say, from my experience, is that sometimes a forum posting will get a faster solution and sometimes technical support will be the better approach.  While I am not concluding that the question about a software problem will get resolved in this particular post, it doesn't ask for resolution here, either.  The question, at least to me, provides additional feedback for Dennis and potentially gives this person feedback on whether other people are experiencing the problem.

Regards,

Steve

• 37. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree. Dennis needs feedback to make things better.

We had similar requests in the PrE forum, prior to the update to PrE 8. Unfortunately, each of the two threads devolved into troubleshooting, and I am not sure that Chad (Dennis' counterpart there, then) ever got what he needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 38. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                              Mikael A Level 1

Hello Dennis

I find Premiere CS5 to be the most stable software Adobe has ever released, my computer completely flies now.

Just want to thank you for a great job with CS5 and your presence on the forum.

Best regards

Mikael

Sweden

My spec:

Intel i7920

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Corsair 12GB DDR3

Nvidia GTX470

Adaptec raidcard 3085 with 4x1000GB seagate in a raid 5 (external case).

Windows 7 64 Ultimate

C drive Intel SSD G2 80GB

• 39. Re: Your thoughts on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update thus far?
                                                                                Thrill Media Level 2

I haven't run into any issues at all.  It installed properly and works great.  Love that MPE, I really enjoy not round tripping to AE for a lot of solutions I can now do realtime in PP. 

1 2 Previous Next