12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 5:01 PM by the_wine_snob

How do questions disappear from forum?

Steve C2 Level 2

How do questions disappear from the Premiere forum?  Since I have a GTX 480 and am interested in learning how significant a difference official support for mercury playback is, vs hacked support, I had entered a question soliciting feedback from owners of GTX 470 video cards.  Someone with almost 12,000 posts took exception to my post, I responded, and my post can no longer be found.

Is there a problem with the forum software?

• 1. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Do not recall that post, but then things have been pretty fast and furious in the CS5 forum.

Now, there are a couple of ways that posts can disappear, or seem to do so:

1.) a moderator can Lock a thread, or can branch things off into a new thread. This just happened today, however both original threads are still there, just not separated.

2.) Adobe Admin. can remove a thread (do not think that a MOD can do that - only Lock, Move, or branch?), but would not likely do so, unless it was obviously spam. Even then, the thread would likely remain, with all URL's "[Edited by Host]" or similar.

3.) a moderator can Move a thread, say if one was posted to the CS5 forum, and it was really concerning CS4, or earlier. This can also happen, if a thread is best suited for the Hardware Forum (would be my first guess in your case), or to the Lounge, if I have managed to drag it too far off-topic. Check the Hardware Forum, 'cause that is where I would expect such a post to be.

4.) when Adobe went to the new software, many older posts went to bit-heaven I highly doubt that anything like that happened here. We lost a few posts when there was a major Jive update, but there has not been such an update in ~ 8 mos.

5.) one can often not see posts, if they access the forum via e-mail, instead of a browser. I would guess that with some feeds, that could happen too, but do not know.

Good luck, and do check the Hardware Forum,

Hunt

PS - usually, when Jeff, Jerry.K, Curt, et al, Moves a post, they try to let the poster know. Still, with CS5.0.2 hitting, and all the traffic, maybe they slipped up, ran completely out of time, or tried, and failed in the notification. Most likely, if one of the MOD's did Move it, they'll jump right in and report having done so. They are great, though sometimes details might get lost on a busy day, especially if they are trying to get out of town to be with their families on a holiday weekend (US) to indulge themselves in their "other lives." Or, they could be packing up to avoid a hurricane - Earl.

• 3. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
            Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Hunt,

Thank you for shedding some light on this.  I don't think that those situations apply here, but then again, I might be overlooking something as well.

This was the original post - I can get to it by clicking on the link in email notifications that I received, but I cannot see it in the forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3106013#3106013.

The post that you noticed is my reposted question.  As long as this post remains, I am happy.  I own a GTX 480 and I want to gauge how much official support means to the functionality and performance of the video cards.  I remember seeing some comments, somewhere, over the summer, questioning how well the hack worked from an effects perspective.

Do you have a GTX 480, by any chance?  It could be that my memory is bad, but I think that maybe 5.02 renders faster with 4GB than 5/5.01 did with 8GB.

Thanks,

Steve

• 4. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I do not. My main video card is an nVidia Quadro FX 4500, that does not make the grade (regardless of what I paid for it new ) and cannot be upgraded/updated. Still, it's been a great card with PrPro, PS and light 3D work, so I did not loose THAT much.

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Is this the one?

Hardware_Forum.png

Look in the Hardware forum,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                  Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Hunt,

Yes, that is the posting, so I guess that either someone moved it or I'm extremely confused.

I can see why someone would conclude that it is a hardware-related question.  I still see the matter as a software-related issue, since it deals more with software support for the hardware and what PrPro users with gtx480 video cards might look forward to, but this is like a chicken and egg scenario.  Just glad to see the post is still around and I hope to hear about some other users' experiences.

Thanks again,

Steve

• 7. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

My guess is that Jerry.K, who has been active today, or another MOD, did move it to the Hardware Forum. That is where I would have put it, had I been consulted.

Glad that it's still up and active. This happens on occasion, and again, my guess is that with the traffic on the forum today, someone missed letting you know. That sort of thing does happen, from time to time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                      Mortimer IOU Level 2

Yes, I moved it. Actually i was somewhat torn on this one, whether it should be in the hardware forum.

Sorry for the confusion, although it is my impression that most OPs do manage to find their moved threads. At least this is the first time I can remember that an OP raised the issue. Still, it does beg the question of how to notify of a similar move. I used to just enter a little post saying why i was doing it, but of course that post moves with the thread.

If anyone has an idea about this, I'm willing to consider it.

One more thing, I'm going to delete the second identical thread. I will try to copy over to the old thread any subsequent posts that Steve feels are useful.

• 9. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jerry.K,

Though I really do not have a vote in this, I do agree that the Hardware Forum is the correct location, so I back the decision. Early on in this thread, it seemed like a logical course of action, so it was easy for me to find the post.

As to the method of notification, only thought that I have is maybe the little "[thread was moved to Hardware Forum]"

Just thinking,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                          Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the update.

One possibility for the handling of moved posts...if the forum software has this option, when a post is moved, an email notification is automatically sent to the post creator and (possibly) all people that have responded to the post.

• 11. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                            Mortimer IOU Level 2

There appears to be no option to automatically notify OPs or others when  threads are moved. It would be a nice feature and I will pass it up the line for consideration.

• 12. Re: How do questions disappear from forum?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jerry.K,

In an ideal world, Jive (or perhaps Adobe Admin) would add a button to the MOD consoles, to allow a PM to be sent. That would allow you guys to do the notification with one click.

OTOH, that might not be an easy addition.

Hunt