10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 7:50 AM by the_wine_snob

What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?

shooternz Level 6

What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?

Where are they saved?

Can the location be set as a preference?

• 1. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The AutoSaves are .PRPROJ, just like the Project files. There will be a -1, -2, -3, -4, -5 (default), after the Project name, with the .PRPROJ extension.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - a system Search on .prproj should reveal all Project files on the system. Those with the -x numbers, will be AutoSaves

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
            shooternz Level 6

Thanx and darn...

The Auto saves are  (WERE) in the same folder as the Project.

I also do my manual save to the same folder  eg.  XXXXXBackup. prproj

Can autosave location be changed or do I need a little automated routine?

• 3. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
              Phil Griffith Level 2

the autosave files will be in a folder named autosave. this will usually be in same location as your project

Also, I do not see where you can specify where the autosave files will be located. It's not in preferences or project settings.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Unless it has been changed, Edit>Preferences will not help you. You can set the number of AutoSaves, but the location appears to be in the Project's folder structure. Feature Request?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
                  shooternz Level 6

As I figured.

I guess I will have to set up a backup routine for this task. eg BACKup allProjects files to separate disk (location)

Wondering if there is something in WIN 7 I can use for this.

• 6. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When I am editing more than a fun, little family Project, I use the Save_As_a_Copy function, and place those onto a separate HDD. Too little - too late, but one day, that might save my "bacon." Remember, that is "deep-fried bacon... "

Hunt

• 7. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
                      David Zeno Level 1

Interesting thread.

I had the same question tonight, Jim was helping me with it.  I have auto saved "on" and it just won't recreate any

copies of my project, even though I have auto save set to 1 minute at the moment, and have saved a test project to a new

empty folder.  Even though I see pp auto saving every minute, there are no files being created in the folder, all that exists

is the single original project file.

Dave.

• 8. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
                        shooternz Level 6

How many Auto-save versions do  you have set in your preferences.?

• 9. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Kinda maddening: I see posts via email that aren't here yet...

The autosave files are not actually in the same folder as the project, right?  They are in a folder at that same level (folder called something like "Adobe Premiere auto-saves" or the like).

I think it would be kinda hard to miss that folder if I were looking for the autosave files.  But another poster in a different thread (who's posted here, except I don't see it yet!), sees the autosave and sees no auto-save file.  He must be looking in the wrong directory.

And if you have several premiere projects in the same directory, there will be one auto-save directory, and all the projects will have their auto-saves in there, appropriately named, of course.

Yes, I completely want to see control over where to place that directory.  Poor security on the same drive.  but drives never fail, right, Craig?

But I agree with Hunt: searching for *.prproj will find them.

• 10. Re: What is the extension of an autosave PPRO file?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

I am using PrPro 2.0, so things might have changed, but, in my folder hierarchy, here is what I get:

E:\Premiere Projects

[Project Name]

Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save*

Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files

Encoded Files

Media Cache Files

[My folder hierarchy, such as Videos, Music, Audio, Stills, Finished AVI, Finished AC3, etc.]

PRPROJ (my Project File)

Hope that helps.

Hunt

* Within that folder, I have [Project Name]-1, through [Project name]-5, all with the PRPROJ extension.

PS - the forum has gone wonky (very technical Web-term for messed up), and I only hope that things get straightened out on Monday, when the Adobe minions return to the Official Adobe Compound.