7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2010 10:09 PM by crouchingsamurai

MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes

crouchingsamurai

Have an AVC-INTRA project which has a motion jpeg sequence in it.  When I attempt to export the entire sequence as MXF - avc-intra 100 the export through media encoder stops between 50 and 65% and a message comes up by windows indicating that an application needs to close.  Media Encoder CS5 5.0.1 does not complete the encoding and generates an error messege "out of disk space"  However, there is ample space on the drive being used to export the project.  Is there a file size limit to mxf export or duration limit to mxf export?  DO NOT UNDERSTAND why this export is not completing!

Need help!  Thanks.

• 1. Re: MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides the amount of defragmented free space on the destination HDD (how much by the way), what is the amount of defragmented free space on C:\?

Likely, one does not have as much, as you might have thought.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes
            crouchingsamurai Level 1

Have just over 700 gigs space on c drive and around 1.15 terabytes on my g drive which is where I am attempting to export the mxf file to.  By my calculations the MXF file should be around 100 to 125 gigs total storage when finished.

Rob

• 3. Re: MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rob,

That does sound like more than enough. As you have Win 64-bit, you have NTSF formatting, so I am at a loss to explain what might be happening.

Sorry, but good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes
                crouchingsamurai Level 1

At first I thought I had a rendering issue with mxf but discovered Premiere Pro CS5 was creating the CONTENTS folder for the mxf on the right drive as per panasonics requirements.  Of course any sequence you export as an MXF file gets broken up into chunks in the contents folder.  One concern I have is if there is a limit in length or file size that the export is being limited to.  My sequence is 90 minutes in length.  Or better yet is the MXF container running out of chunk names for the sequence thus terminating the export.  Not sure on both.  I remember back in 1.5 or 2 when there was a bug concerning rendering long sequences but I thought Adobe has gotten past those types of errors.  Maybe not.  I checked the project size and there doesn't seem to be anything unusually large or strange going on with the project size.  This sequence is picture only with no audio.  If anyone else has a long sequence I recommend trying this to see if you get the same results.  Export should not be duration limited.  The other area I am thinking could be a problem is with memory management.  I've got 12 gigs of ram and I set media encoder to use a max of 9 gigs.  I'm wondering is there is something loosing track of memory on a longer export.  Created a new project and will try again.  This is my fourth attempt today.

Rob

• 5. Re: MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes
                  crouchingsamurai Level 1

NOTE: My system is Windows 7 64-bit.  Running GPU with a GTX 480 card.

Rob again

• 6. Re: MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes
                    PictureWise

I had this problem the other day when playing out a one hour documentary onto a 4 terrabyte raid array with over 2TB left free!   The timeline was in XDcam EX and I was rendering it out as an .mp4 file. 

Eventually,  I cleaned out the cache database (Edit / Preferences / Media ) and that seemed to fix it.  The render then worked as normal.

Having said that - I've just had the same problem again, so it looks as if the cache database gradually fills up, and Premiere then can't cope for some reason. 

I've wiped the cache again - and so far, it's all working.  Looks like this might be a bug...?   

I've not had any troubles with short projects - only this one hour programme which is about 300 Gb of rushes and a 15Gb playout file.

• 7. Re: MXF export flagged as "out of disk space" - never finishes
                      crouchingsamurai Level 1

Heard Adobe is aware of the project files growing in size.  Thought it was fixed in 5.0.2 update.  If not there are aware.  Also from what I'm hearing even 12 gigs of ram is not enough on large projects.  My OEM guy has indicated that Premiere needs upwards of 18gigs to run well especially on large projects.  So I guess the 24gigs of ram update is next on the list.  Plus the 480 update which should be in 5.0.3 update.

Rob