15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 8:03 AM by Chuck A. McIntyre

I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround

shooternz Level 6

I recently ( yesterday) had an HDD fail.

This drive happened to be the drive I dedicate to PROJECTS from all /any of the CS5 Suite of apps. (eg PPRO, AEFX, Encore etc...)

The failure of the drive not only took my project files, it took the Auto-saves as well !  They reside in the same folder as the project... and there seems to be no way to change that as a preference.

It also took my CTRL-ALT-S saves as well ( ie manual backups)

I am thinking that I can use the "Libraries" function of WIN 7 to  automatically backup my entire 'Project File' to a 'Library in another location.

All that requires is a simple step when I create every new Project.

If anyone has a better  or simpler backup routine in the absence of a preference...please chime in.

BTW: assume that a 'Library' backup is also sent to another device (flash stick) for an off-site backup in case of an entire system loss or failure.

• 1. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

I have what I consider a simple solution.

I use a backup client to backup my video drive and project file drive every night.  Its a 2Tb esata backup drive.   So; if I have a drive failure its a simple restore from the backup drive.  (Or even selective file restores)

Obviously the drive wont store unlimted versions of projects forever.  I use this for my "live backup" for active projects.

When I finish a project, I use Pr's project manager to trim the project to a portable 500G usb drive.  I just stack them up on my shelves as an archive.  Sometimes I can fit 2-3 archived projects onto one of these drives.  Once archived; I delete the project and video clips from my active drives to make room for the next project.  

Thsi way my "active backup drive" has roughly the last two weeks of several versions of the most recent projects.   The old ones just roll off as i start working on new ones (which is ok, cause i archive completed projects to the smaller "archive drives")

There are tons of ways to do backups, but that's how I do it.

• 2. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
            shooternz Level 6

Curt,

Sounds like you are backing up media as well as 'Project' files.

I am only considering backing up the 'ppropj" files.

I have media backups in external HDDs anyway.

• 3. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

shooternz wrote:

Curt,

Sounds like you are backing up media as well as 'Project' files.

I am only considering backing up the 'ppropj" files.

Correct.

If you just need a solution for project files you've got a lot of online backup options.  Or; any backup client has the ability to backup different drives/dirs to a a backup device.  If your backup solution for your video drives is working; just back to them also.  The backup client will preserve multiple versions for you.

Or; perhaps I missunderstand the problem.  Its a little late for me on the east coast.

• 4. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good move. I always recommend that one only have Copies of their Assets in the Project, with the originals stored elsewhere. In my case, it's my NAS. Now, with Captures from miniDV tape, just keep the tapes safe, as one only has to do a Capture again. With other original files, say from flash cards, etc., having the originals safe is very important, and it appears that you are doing that already.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I always back up projects to another drive.

Before closing up shop i do a Save As and i do not let it overwright the previous one.

Auto Save overwrights and that sometimes can be a disadvantage.

• 6. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I currently have a Library setup on my C: drive for project backups.  I "Save a Copy" to that when I'm done working on a project.

I will soon be setting up my project drive (D:) as a RAID 1 for further security.  So if one drive fails, I'm still covered.  (Plus I'll still have the Copy on C: drive.)

• 7. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                      shooternz Level 6

Be ideal if "Librays" could be commanded to do an auto mirror of a file or folder.

Meantime I am trialing

http://www.fbackup.com/

I am also living in the hope that my ppropj files can be retrieved from my busted drive.  Luckily there are not many of them.

I have learnt my lesson ( the hardway) but in my defense...I thought I had backups covered by what I was doing.  Just hadnt thought it through enough.

• 8. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For recovery, I would explore Stellar-Phoenix. Their suite has saved me on two crashes, where backups were deficient.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                          shooternz Level 6

Thanx Bill.

I actually have the drive over with my "puter' guys who are attempting the recovery.

Recovery is kind of an area I don t want to get involved in.  Sounds really technical at that level.

Fingers are crossed.

• 10. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Recovery is kind of an area I don t want to get involved in.  Sounds really technical at that level.

In my estimation, it is mostly alchemy, then luck, and finally a lot of work with a bunch of good programs. Sometimes amazing things show up. Sometimes simple stuff does not show up.

Here's adding a bit more "luck" to the mix!

Hunt

• 11. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Drive failures are such a booger.  One day several years back we had nine drives fail at once.  But... these fortunately were MFT corruption issues.  GetDataBack for NTFS recovered everything, but it was a long process.  Of course much worse is a mechanical or electrical failure.  Those often cost way too much to make recovery cost effective.  We had a guy at work a couple of years ago kick over one of those upright silver Seagate external hard drives while getting up from his seat to answer the phone. It was a telemarketer.  Looks like you have already received some good advice here.  When in production, I lose sleep if I forget to make multiple copies of projects.

• 12. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

nine drives fail at once.

Dude, the statistics on that are so astronomical as to make it impossible.  That smacks of sabotage.

• 13. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                                  shooternz Level 6

Could an electrical spike nail multiple active drives?

• 14. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

I am thinking that you needed to go buy a Powerball ticket. You have already amassed 10 years of bad luck there, so it's gotta' change!!!

Hunt

• 15. Re: I am thinking Backup / Auto-save workaround
                                      Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I'm fairly certain it was a power surge that did it. Our power company at the time was notorious for big Bubba's, spikes and blackouts that occasionally would last for several hours.  I remember around eight or nine years ago, I was working out of my home office when everything went dead.  I looked outside and saw a representative/technician of this same power company at the top of the telephone pole outside my house.  I asked him if he had considered letting homeowners know he was going to cut their power so they would have time to shut down their computers.  In a rather sarcastic tone, he informed me of a broken neutral wire that could have burned our house down.  That made me feel a whole lot better.  At the time, I think my wife was using Windows 98.

Back to the nine drive failure; whatever surge protector we had at the time obviously didn't do its job.  On the up-side, I'm really good at data recovery .