3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 4:35 AM by Andrew_Hart

JPG and TIFF colors in Bridge CS5 way off, but fine in Photoshop

Yammer Level 4

Some people in the Bridge Windows forum are experiencing problems with Bridge since upgrading to ACR 6.2, if they use ACR to modify JPEGs or TIFFs:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3108874

• 1. Re: JPG and TIFF colors in Bridge CS5 way off, but fine in Photoshop
          01af Level 1

For a few JPEG files, Bridge will render the thumbnails and previews improperly (too bright, as if over-exposed by one or two f-stops). When opening the affected JPEG files in ACR 6.2, however, rendition in the Camera Raw preview window will be just fine.

According to my tests with one example of a JPEG file that ACR is screwing up this way (all with Bridge 4.0.3), the issue is there with both ACR 6.2.0.21 (6.2 public beta) and 6.2.0.29 (6.2 final release) but not with ACR 6.1. So reverting back to ACR 6.1 solves the problem. So does the following procedure:

• Open the offending file in ACR 6.2.
          • Apply an arbitrary change to the Exposure setting, e. g. -0.05, and click Done.
          • Open the same file in ACR 6.2 again.
          • Reset the Exposure setting to where it was before, and click Done.

Now Bridge will render the file's thumbnail and preview properly ... at least with my single sample JPEG file. In my particular case, one JPEG file in a folder with 1,500 JPEGs is affected. I didn't notice while using ACR 6.2 beta because it happens so sparsely. I have no idea what the difference between the affected file and the other files is. The shots were taken with the same camera, same lens, same settings, only seconds apart—all but one render properly, and one is off. By the way, the raw files of the same frames (shot in 'Raw+JPEG' format) all render properly.

• 2. Re: JPG and TIFF colors in Bridge CS5 way off, but fine in Photoshop
            Andrew_Hart Level 2

01af,

Appreciate your response and contribution, but this is going to get very difficult to follow if we have two separate threads in too separate forums. I suggest that you repost your above response in the Bridge forum (even though it seems at this time that ACR may be the problem) because that is where this whole discussion started.

Could the Moderator please intervene and close this thread , or volunteer an alternative

• 3. Re: JPG and TIFF colors in Bridge CS5 way off, but fine in Photoshop
              01af Level 1

Andrew_Hart wrote:

... this is going to get very difficult to follow if we have two separate threads in too separate forums. [...]

Could the Moderator please intervene and close this thread , or volunteer an alternative

I'd rather close the thread over in the Bridge (Windows) forum and continue the discussion here, where it belongs. To the user, the issue appears in Bridge, but the offending component obviously is Camera Raw. Anyway, for the time being I followed your suggestion and re-posted my article above to the Bridge thread.