18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 8:57 AM by tfi productions 44 Branched to a new discussion.

Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?

phil__ramses Level 1

The question is in the title.
      I'm especially wondering if it will improve viewport performance?

We all know that Opengl is a pain in AE, but I guess we "all" own classic geforce cards. That's maybe the reason that OpenGL suck for us (gaming drivers).

I need review from guys owning decent quadro, or who already had, or who already seen it in action in AE. I don't care about personnal theorical opinion founded on speculation. I need something concrete.

I actually got a GTX 460, and my desktop resolution is 3840*1200. When I deploy all the panel on my both screen, the "refresh display" just start to become slow, and, the more layers I have, the more chuncky become the timeline travelling/keying, which is very annoying.

I'm wondering also if it would improve the viewport it self, speeding up the previewing while setting up my scenes for eg.

So any improvement while working (before ram preview) is seeked, that's the reason I'm asking for.

• 1. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
          phil__ramses Level 1

Nobody can't help? Nobody got a quadro here?

• 2. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The graphics card just doesn't matter much for After Effects. Almost no one uses OpenGL for rendering, except for the OpenGL - Interactive preview setting. Some effects are accelerated by the GPU, and After Effects does use the GPU to accelerate drawing to the screen for preview, but even a moderate graphics card does well enough at these tasks.

So, the reason that you're getting no response is probably because the response to questions about graphics cards and After Effects is just a collective shrug of the shoulders. You should think much more about RAM, CPUs, and hard disks for After Effects before you even begin to think about the graphics card.

Premiere Pro CS5 is a totally different story. The specific graphics card matters a lot for it.

• 3. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
              phil__ramses Level 1

Thanks a lot for replying, Todd.

The thing is : I already a strong rig (bi xeon 5680 36go ram (48 or 60 soon) and 4 velociraptor in raid).

Plus, I don't want to RENDER with opengl but to PREVIEW with. Is that accelerated much?

Also, as I've wrote earlier, I've got issue with the "interface drawing" when I'm using big resolution... Even with a GTX 460 1go. Will the quadro improve that?

I'll may sound candid, but, if you refer to nvidia page, they're marketing about great improvements even in AE.
              I just wanted to know if this is marketing only or just representative of reality.

• 4. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I noticed you mentioned gaming , drivers for cards that are good for  gaming as I understand it do not usually deliver the same results for cards that are for other purposes they are usually focussed on Gaming and that is it.

That is the way I understand it.

• 5. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                  phil__ramses Level 1

Wade_Zimmerman a écrit:

I noticed you mentioned gaming , drivers for cards that are good for  gaming as I understand it do not usually deliver the same results for cards that are for other purposes they are usually focussed on Gaming and that is it.

That is the way I understand it.

As I do. The question is : How big will be the drivers enhancement?

• 6. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                    Gardino

I'm in the market for a high end graphics card for CS5 Production Premium and i'm currently looking at either the Quadro FX 4800 or 4000. Do you have a recommendation as to which one I should choose? http://www.nvidia.com/content/HelpMeChoose/fx2/HelpMeChoose_quadro.asp?lang=en-us

One would think that the 4800 would be the more powerful card but it seem to have some outdated specs compared to the 4000. Please help!

• 7. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Gardino,

Read my response earlier in this thread.

For After Effects, you really shouldn't be thinking in terms of an expensive graphics card until you've already maxed out your RAM, CPUs, and fast (multiple) hard disks.

Premiere Pro CS5 is a different matter. The graphics card matters a lot for Premiere Pro. If you will be using Premiere Pro and you want advice about what card to sue for it, then you should ask on the Premiere Pro hardware forum.

• 8. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                        Gardino Level 1

I did read your response from earlier.

My RAM, CPU and disks are maxed out.  I'm currently looking into requirements for graphics cards with After Effects CS5 and yes, I will be using Premiere extensively. I will be purchasing the card within the next few days and I don't want to drop $1000 on a card and then have to repurchase another one later on because it doesn't give me all of the AE features. So, my original question still stands. Which is better the 4800 or the 4000?

• 9. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'll try to say this a different way:

You don't get any significant After Effects features based on what graphics card you're using. If you're also going to be using Premiere Pro, make your buying decision entirely based on Premiere Pro. Forget about After Effects when making your graphics card buying decision. Whatever you get for Premiere Pro will be far more than enough for After Effects.

• 10. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                            Gardino Level 1

I guess my concern is that the Quadro 4000 is not listed in the OpenGL compatibility list for AfterEffects CS5. http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html

Is this because the list is outdated? If so, who would I contact to get a more updated list?

• 11. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

You don't buy a Quadro for use in AE, not even for preview purposes; the Quadro's contribution to previewing speed is negligible, verging on none. It's useless when rendering in AE.

You buy a Quadro for use in Premiere, where it is EXTREMELY beneficial... jaw-droppingly so.

Stop obsessing about using a Quadro in AE; it just isn't worth the bother.  It's like hoping that an ICE board will make AE render faster.

So in response to your thread's question, "[Is a] Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?"  here is my response: no.  It is not worth it.  Kapiche?

• 12. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I guess my concern is that the Quadro 4000 is not listed in the OpenGL compatibility list for AfterEffects CS5. http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html

Is this because the list is outdated? If so, who would I contact to get a more updated list?

We haven't completed the testing that is required before we put a card on that list. That said, the guy who does the testing said "I don't anticipate any problems." So, take that for what it's worth.

• 13. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                                  Crafaldar Level 1

Hello, I'm a bit confused with these topic, I understand what you say by this:

"You don't get any significant After Effects features based on what graphics card you're using."

But in the product page of the Quadro Series (fermi) in Nvidia it says the contrary, that there is a serious increase in performance, coupled with a videos that show that: http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_AftereffectsCS5.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_AftereffectsCS5.html I was convinced that buying a Quadro 4000 would improve my AE workflow, but I've read in this and other forums what you say that AE doesnt' care for the graphic cards.

So what do you think? it's just all marketing hocus pocus? Or has something changed since the last post in this thread?

Because I see the improvement working with 3d scenes in AE and it looks really interesting.

Thanks for your anwser!

• 14. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, using a card with OpenGL can make interacting with 3D scenes faster. I use the OpenGL - Interactive preview mode and am happy to have this performance boost. But most people don't use OpenGL for final renders (or even for RAM previews) because the OpenGL renderer doesn't give the same high-quality results as the CPU renderer. Also, After Effects doesn't take advantage of CUDA, which is one of the main distinguishing features of advanced video cards. Practical experience of many people has shown that a middle-of-the-road video/graphics card is plenty for After Effects.

As I said earlier on thsi thread, you should spend your resources on maxing out RAM, CPUs, and hard disks before you consider spending extra money on a better graphcs card for After Effects.

Premiere Pro CS5 is a different story, since it uses CUDA.

• 15. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                                      tfi productions 44 Level 1

Hello,

I also am asking questions about the quadro 4000 and AE, too.

Like Todd stated above, my thread isn’t getting much attention either

Because it’s a Quadro and AE.

I understand that AE doesn’t use cuda.

I understand that AE does use some OPENGL effects.

On the nvidia website it does say that AE will be sped up with

the following effects:  camera zoom, cartoon effect, 3d rendering

Adobe website for AE CS5 says:

“Adobe® After Effects® CS5 software adds high-fidelity OpenGL support for camera depth of field

and nested compositions to existing support for blending modes, adjustment layers, track mattes,

accelerated effects, anti-aliasing, 2D motion blur, lights, and shadows.”

Is there a more complete list of AE CS5 Open GL Effects?

I am purchasing the quadro 4000 for AE because of the s3d workflow, however, after reading this

thread about how poorly AE uses OPENGL,

I am wondering about the s3d workflow.

Is the whole ‘quad buffered stereoscopic’ workflow for s3d run from the OPENGL part?

Can someone provide more information / links on the relationship between AE s3d capabilities and OPENGL, etc.

Thanks,

jeffrey

• 16. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is there a more complete list of AE CS5 Open GL Effects?

See "Render with OpenGL" for a list of GPU-accelerated effects that are accelerated or not depending on the global preference for rendering with OpenGL. The Cartoon effect, Turbulent Noise effect, and Bilateral Blur effect are different, in that they use a different technology under the hood---the same technology that is the basis of Pixel Bender effects---that is GPU-accelerated in a different manner.

> Can someone provide more information / links on the relationship between AE s3d capabilities and OPENGL, etc.

As we've said, the OpenGL renderer in After Effects makes many things faster, but it is only a preview renderer, so it's not useful for final output. When using 3D features of any sort, having a fast preview renderer is useful for placing things and making fast changes. It's as simple as that.

• 17. Re: Is the Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

tfi productions 44 wrote:

On the nvidia website it does say that AE will be sped up with the following effects:  camera zoom, cartoon effect, 3d rendering

Adobe website for AE CS5 says:

“Adobe® After Effects® CS5 software adds high-fidelity OpenGL support for camera depth of field

and nested compositions to existing support for blending modes, adjustment layers, track mattes,

accelerated effects, anti-aliasing, 2D motion blur, lights, and shadows.”

You will note that neither reference says Open GL will render in combination with other effects that are not supported by Open GL.  Any good marketing weasel tends to phrase such things very carefully.

And there lies the problem: a comp of even mild complexity will contain both kinds of effects, and that's when the highly-touted Open GL support goes south.  Furthermore, you can't use Multiprocessing with Open GL.  If you like multiprocessing, that's a pretty big drawback, no?

So unless you create very simple comps with Open GL-only effects, a hot Nvidia card is pretty much useless in AE.  Mind you, it's absolutely great for the latest version of Premiere and many other non-Adobe applications, just not AE.  You buy a pricey Nvidia card for those other applications, and if you like having faster PREVIEWS in AE: not rendering, previews.  For such limited usefulness in AE and at that price tag, you need pretty deep pockets.

• 18. Re: Is the Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
                                            tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello and thank you for the information

i understand that OPENGL doesn't help with rendering

i am only interested in how AE handles s3d material:

so if the OPENGL renderer only returns faster previews that's okay

i also use NUCLEO PRO 3 to help with rendering and previews...it works well

my use for the quadro 4000 is to get access to the QUAD BUFFERED STEREO ability

for viewing s3d material via active shutter glasses...

thanks,

j