5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 10:56 PM by joshb83133363

After Effects CS5 Error Message

JesseHarris Level 1

Hi,

I'm working in AE CS5, OS 10.6.4, and I have 3 footage sequences in a comp, Two I can render to proxy no problem and the third piece of footage keeps coming up with the error

AE Error:  couldn't perform post-process action because the item to replace is missing.

I have the 3 footage sequences in 3 separate sub-folders inside the main shot folder on my JBOD drive array.  I have tried completely deleting the project, and related compositions and trying over from the beginning but with the same result.  I'm at a loss as to what to do, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 Error Message
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check your render setting! Seems you have "Repalce Usage" enabled and create an unresolvable circular loop.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 Error Message
            JesseHarris Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

However the only place I can find "Replace Usage" is in the Output Module, under the pull-down menu; "Post-Render Action".  I have a template choosing "Set Proxy" and not "Import & Replace Usage.

Am I missing "Replace Usage" in the Render Module?  Any other ideas for me?

I appreciate it, thank you.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 Error Message
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But do you store the files in separate locations/ give them unique names? Still sounds like you are throwing off things by overwriting your own files...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects CS5 Error Message
                JesseHarris Level 1

I haven't been changing the file name, however I have been modifying the default save dialogue box to save the proxies to a folder within the shot folder I mention above.  I've been saving all the proxies in the same folder.  The movie gets saved ok, but no proxy is assigned/saved to my footage in AE where I need it...  I guess my question know becomes; how, (do I reset the output?) and where should I save the output to...?

Please excuse my inexperience - and your help is much appreciated!

Jesse

edit:  and when I right-click>create proxy on my footage, another composition with the footage name is created.  Is this correct?  I have actually watched Andrew Kramer's Creating Proxy Video numerous times, following his instructions to the letter, (so I thought), and I didn't notice that happen.  His proxy was created with the on/off square next to the footage with no problem!  Arrrgh.

Message was edited by: JesseHarris

• 5. Re: After Effects CS5 Error Message
                  joshb83133363

Ok I have been stuck looking for an answer to this all day, so I thought I would share what I have found when someone else googles and comes across this thread

Essentially what is happening is that when you have created a custom output module you have also saved which artwork will be replaced with a proxy.

Test it with without changing the output module