3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 1:35 PM by Point Happy

Keylight and Motion Blur, orange over green

Point Happy

I'm making a series of videos of basketball players for a website.  I'm using Keylight to remove the green screen.  I seem to have gotten the parameters where it gives fairly good results with the player.  My problem is the basketball.  It moves fast in front of the green screen that there's a pretty serious motion blur problem.

What I have tried is making a copy of the video on the layer above and then masking only the ball when it is by itself in front of the green screen and processing it giving it it's own despill values, and then using that mask as a track matte for the layer below to drop out the basketball from the player's layer when the ball is in the air.  That does improve things a bit, because I can tighten up the image on the ball a bit.  But there is still a sizeable brown smudge where the orange ball blurs over the green screen that I can't seem to get rid of.

I'm not sure what else I can do, and I don't have the time to experiment with methods, or do painstaking minute correction.  Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Keylight and Motion Blur, orange over green
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Since you have a separate ball layer, can you just color correct it to bring it back to orange, thus removing the "brown smudge"?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Keylight and Motion Blur, orange over green
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> <

Unfotunately, there is no way to remove the image blur that is caused by your imporoperly shot footage; you needed a much faster shutter speed, appropriate for the subject, 1/250 or maybe even 1/1000 second.

All you can do now is fake it and hopefully sell a new design concept, something a bit stylized. Masking off the ball is a good first step and now you can fill that mask with just about anything. I'd suggest a stylized animated basketball with glitter and sparks and lightning, simple clip art, or a photograph of the team's special logo-emblazoned ball, if they have such.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: Keylight and Motion Blur, orange over green
              Point Happy Level 1

Well, I took Andrew's suggestion and tried a little color correction using a Color To effect.  It at least made the muddy brown more orange.  But that also meant masking thousands of frames; a thing I was hoping to avoid.

Can't do much about the shutter speed, 29.97 fps was all they gave me, and the compression was far from perfect.  So I did what I could.  Thank for the help.