6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 11:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Watermarking video

mundenbar Level 1

What is the best way to watermark video? Is there a way to do it on Premiere Elements?

I just want to put something on the corner of my footage.

Btw, Thank you everyone for their information. It has been extremely helpful.

• 1. Re: Watermarking video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You can do this easily by using the Titler. Just create a Title with the artwork/text that you want, locate it where you want it, and then place that Title on a Video Track above the Clips. Click-drag on the Tail of that Title to match the necessary Duration. If desired, you can adjust the Opacity of that Title, so that it is partially Transparent.

Also, you can Import artwork into your Project, and use it, instead of an official Title.

I cannot recall if Titler in PrE can Import a Logo, but you can do that with Titler in PrPro. If you have the artwork, you might want to explore that too. It will be in Titler, but I do not think that PrE has that particular capability.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Watermarking video
            mundenbar Level 1

Many thanks Bill!

Is this type of watermark any different than what is used in photoshop?

Is it difficult to remove? I want to secure my footage as best as possible.

• 3. Re: Watermarking video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As this watermark will be "burned into" the Video, when you Export/Share, it will be very difficult to remove.

One would have to Crop it out, or would have to do a Title, or some other type of overlay to cover it up.

Now comes the hard part - how large should I make my watermark? Where should I place it?

If you make it too large, then the viewers will see it as covering too much of the Frame. Same for placement - small and way off to one corner, and it's easier to Crop or cover - in the middle of the screen, and they cannot Crop and an overlay will be right in the middle of the Frame too - but it WILL get in the way of the viewing. This can be a real balancing act.

I also like to place a © notice as a Title at the beginning of the video, to let the viewer know that they do not have any rights to copy, or distribute the material. On a DVD, I will have that as First Play, and will restrict the operations of the user, so that they must sit through the entire First Play Timeline. Now, this cannot be done in PrE, and I use Encore for this.

Also note, there is not way to place Copy Protection on any Burned DVD - only if one is having a replication house stamp copies of the DVD, can one use Copy Protection, and then, the average 13 year old, with an Internet connection can break that Copy Protection in moments.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Watermarking video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at a © watermark, with Opacity. This will be burned into the video, when Exported/Shared:

Watermark_Title.png

It's subtle, but could be Cropped out, or with Rotoscoping removed. Still, it tells honest people that the material is ©. Some place a very large, but partially Transparent © symbol right in the middle of the Frame.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Watermarking video
                  mundenbar Level 1

Bill,

I know it is redundant, but thank you again.

• 6. Re: Watermarking video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, if I can help, and the method works, then "thank yous" are nice, and appreciated!!!!

Most of all, good luck on your Project,

Hunt