2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 7:38 PM by coolfish2

saving the "trace" output locally

Neo001 Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering whether there's a way to save the "trace" output to a text file on the user's machine. I know we can use the flash debugger for this purpose but is there a better and more efficient way?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: saving the "trace" output locally
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, Flash cannot save anything on a user's machine... that would be a security issue.

• 2. Re: saving the "trace" output locally
            coolfish2

Hi Neo001,

There's not exactly a 'better way', but there is a kludge that can work.

The debug version of Adobe Flash Player is capable of logging trace output, but Adobe have made it very difficult to use it effectively. A recent update of the Flash Player (>v9.0?) has hard-coded the trace file location. I'm not sure of the location on a Mac, but on Windows it depends if you're using XP or Windows 7.

It will be at one of the following locations (referred to as %tracefile% below):

• %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs\flashlog.txt
            • %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs\flashlog.txt

You will need to create a %USERPROFILE%\mm.cfg file containing:

• TraceOutputFileEnable = 1
            • TraceOutputBuffered = 1
            • TraceOutputFileName=%tracefile%

The TraceOutputFileName seems to be ignored for Flash Player versions after the very first v9.0 release.

You may also find the following mm.cfg settings useful:

• ErrorReportingEnable = 1
            • MaxWarnings = 0

I've also experienced some very strange behaviour for the log file if I have other Adobe applications open at the same time. The log file ends up containing spurious entries that appear to be from those other Adobe applications.

Hope this helps. Good luck!