14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 3:34 PM by skippermq

BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work

GoodCat123

When I changed to Adobe Redaer 9.3.4 external links stopped working.  When I went back and used 8.2 they work.  These are PDFs that are out on the web.  For example, here's a pdf where the links no longer work any more when you use 9.3.4.  If you hover over some text, it shows it's a link.  But when you click on it nothing happens. Not even an error message.

http://www.abelia.com/498pdf/roadmap.pdf

Now use Reader 8.2, and you will see the links now work.

This is not an isolated case.

• 1. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The problem is probably related to security upgrades. Check out how Reader 9.3.4 is set to handle links. This would be found in the preferences.

• 2. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
            GoodCat123 Level 1

Michael,

You didn't indicate in your answer whether you were using 9.3.4 and if you verified the problem using the link that I posted.  I didn't see any perference setting that addreses this issue.  If you know of one, can you let us know which one it is?

• 3. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
              CFUSamson

GoodCat I am having the exact same problem as you.  We have a PDF in our company that links to many external Office documents and once any user is upgraded to V9.3.4 none of the embedded links works.  Can someone please help.

• 4. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                GoodCat123 Level 1

Bump.

Can someone provide a solution to this problem?  I see now that others are having this same problem.

• 5. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                  MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I have created a pdf file with a link to a word file with Acrobat. When I open the pdf file in Reader, I can click on the link and dialog box shows up and asks if I want to open the file with Microsoft Word. Clicking on the open button, the file opens with no issue.

• 6. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                    GoodCat123 Level 1

Michael,

I am not experiencing a problem linking to a document created using 9.3.4.  The problem is 9.3.4 is not able to open the links in some? PDFs that were created using an earlier version.  There is either a bug in 9.3.4 that is not allowing it to open the links in these PDFs, or there is a preference setting (as you eluded to) with a default value that is incompatible with the earlier versions of Adobe Reader.  Unfortunately, we don’t know which one it is.  At this time, I’m assuming this is a bug since changing various preference settings did not provide a remedy, and no one has provided a preference setting fix.

If you (or anyone else) is able to use 9.3.4 to open the links in the PDF file that I referenced above in my first post, could you please tell me which preference setting(s) you are using.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                      skippermq Level 1

Hi Michael

When you created your test file, was it in the same folder as the PDF from which you were linking? If so, I would expect it to work normally.

All the tests I have done, following the failure of established links to SWFs organised in a series of folders below the level of the PDF, have indicated that the problem with 9.3.4 is a loss of path information between the link handler and the functions opening the external files. The file name is passed to the function, but not the path.

As a relative newcomer to this forum, I am surprised to find about ten or more near-identical threads on this issue. It does not seem to matter what the file type is, any external links are broken by 9.3.4 losing the path.

The Security / Trust settings which you have mentioned in other threads are set by default to allow calling external files.

skippermq

www.nauticalsoftware.com

• 9. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                        JLSuser

I have seen the same thing. I saw skippermq's post in How to open hyperlinks in a pdf with Adobe Reader 9? and he described my problem to a T. If I move the file to the same dir as the pdf as he suggested it opens fine. That is not how they were designed however. When I move the files and it does find them, the acknowledgement question doesn't contain the filename, but an apparent line of code that would be passing the requested filename to the appropriate software to open it.

I agree that it is probably related to a security patch, but it needs to be looked at. I submitted a bug report for my part a couple days ago. Maybe the more who submit bug reports related to this, the more chance it will get looked at.

JLSuser

• 10. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                          GoodCat123 Level 1

That's a good idea.  It took a little time to find the web page for reporting a bug.  If any others are looking for the page, it is here:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

click on the Feedback tab:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 11. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                            BischoffM

I can confirm this problem. I don not know however, if this:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404291.html#ach-setscr

means, that this bug is already being tracked. Interestingly, *PDF* files that are linked via the "open file" command still open without any problems. So far I have encountered the problem when trying to link PNG or MOV files.

One addition: The latest update for Adobe Reader 8 causes this application to exhibit the same strange behavior.

Second addition: I can reproduce this problem even if the PDF file and the linked file are in the same directory, not just when it is in a relative subdirectory. Even Acrobat Pro 9 (9.3.4) cannot link and/or open files anymore! Which means that it cannot even open files that were linked  with Adobe's own authoring tool!

• 12. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                              Brad.Cooper

Hi GoodCat123,

Win XP Service Pack 3, Internet Explorer 8 and Foxit 4.1.1.0805 or Adobe Reader 8.2 (Adobe Reader 9.3.4 is worse) have problems as described below.

PDF-XChange Viewer (I am using the free version) has no problems that I have come across. I will only talk about the other two pdf readers in what follows.

Scenario #1.

Simple scenario which works ...

I produce a pdf document containing a relative link to a file on my PC which is a HTML
                              document.

I click on the pdf document, it opens in Adobe or Foxit (whichever I choose during testing). In the pdf document I click on
                              the relative link to the HTML file and it opens just fine :-)

Scenario #2.

Similar scenario, but it bombs ...

I have the same pdf document containing the relative link to the same file which is the
                              HTML document. Nothing changed so far and everything untouched and in the same
                              directories.

I am building a website which is sitting on my PC. One page of the website
                              links to the pdf document.

I open that web page with IE 8, click the link to the pdf document and it opens
                              in Foxit or Adobe Reader (depending on which one I am testing).

In the pdf document I click on the relative link to the HTML file and a splash screen
                              says, "Cannot open file, or file not found."

I wonder why the behaviour is different depending on whether or not Foxit/Adobe Reader is
                              launched by hand or from a web page via IE 8??

The relative file specification I use in the pdf document as a link to the HTML
                              file is  ./exercise_1/answers.html

I changed the file spec to .\\exercise_1\\answers.html, but the behaviour was
                              identical.

In IE 8 and Foxit and Adobe Reader, as a test, I have tried turning all security settings to
                              none, zilch, but this thing has me defeated after countless hours. Any ideas
                              much appreciated.

I wish I had moved to PDF-XChange Viewer earlier.

Cheers,
                              Brad

• 13. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                                fengshuidesigner

I have the same problems. I updates to 9.3.4 and now when i surf websites and try to open any PDf files I get a blank grey or black page.

Very frustrating. I wish adobe would fix this. I can't download anything PDF and open it to view.

I work on a MAC 10.5.8.

I would love a solution.

Thanks

Fengshuidesigner

• 14. Re: BUG?  Links in Adobe Reader 9.3.4 don't work
                                  skippermq Level 1

Dear Fengshuidesigner

The problem you describe i one I have seen mentioned by several other people

on this Forum, but is quite different to the issue we are experiencing. In

the case we are discussing, PDFs display correctly, but any hyperlinks to

non-PDF resources create a response in the form of warning and error

messages, but then fail to open the external files.

If you study other threads in the Forum, you may find a solution to the

blank PDF problem.

skippermq

martin@nauticalsoftware.com