10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 9:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer

NoKyWildcat1978

I use Get Media to import my AVCHD clips into PE 8. When I open Premiere Organizer to tag them, the thumbnail clips are blank (actually they are blue in color instead of showing the first frame of the clip). What am I doing wrong? How do I correct this? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I have to admit that I do not use Organizer, or shoot AVCHD, but there are several recent threads on the thumbnails for various types of Assets in Organizer. Each of those contain responses by Steve G., Neale and ATR. Those guys know Organizer, so I would do a Search on "thumbnails + organizer," on this forum. The answer is likely in several of those threads.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, make sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the program's instructions.

• 3. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
              NoKyWildcat1978 Level 1

I read the other threads you suggested and it seems like many people are having the same problem.I just came across another thread in Elements Village which suggested I change the file extension part of the file name from .mts to .m2ts  This solved the problem. I can now see my thumbnails in Organizer, but I have hundreds of movie clips that I will have to do this for. What a pain. I wonder if there is a way to change the file extension name while importing the clip. Any suggestions? I plan on calling Adobe and seeing if they can help.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
                NoKyWildcat1978 Level 1

I updated to the latest version of Quicktime. No help. Please see the other reply I posted. Do you have any other suggestions besides calling Adobe.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As for changing the file extensions en masse, there are several ways to do it. One can do it from a DOS prompt (CMD) with the Rename function, or with several utilities, like Super Explorer, NaMo, or via IrfanView, or ThumbsPlus. There are probably dozens more file renaming utilities, and many will be free. This will save a lot of clicking and typing.

I had not remembered the file extension "fix," and so glad that you found that. I will now try to put that into memory for "next time."

Thanks so much for reporting, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I wonder if there is a way to change the file extension name while importing the clip. Any suggestions?

Not sure how Adobe would implement it, but perhaps filing a Feature Request would be a good first step. Then, you just let the coding gurus at Adobe work out the details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
                      NoKyWildcat1978 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the tip on changing the file extensions. Much appreciated.

Mike

• 8. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bulk renaming should work well for this process. Of my many utilities capable of doing this quickly and easily, I'd probably grab my copy of SuperExplorer, as it has a menu preset to address just the extension. Some of the others are more efficient at doing a complete rename operation. However, my SuperExplorer is quite old, and there are probably many newer utilities available. I do not recall what I paid for SuperExpolorer (it is shareware, and that was so long ago), but would assume that newer, better and probably free alternatives are available. I'd head to TuCows and search for renaming utilities, and then give some of the free ones a whirl.

Thank you for pointing out the file extension that works with Organizer. Only hope I will remember it this time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
                          nealeh Level 5

The fastest way to rename is, as Bill suggested, from a DOS command box.

I use xplorer2 Pro for all my file management. It is a phenomenal piece of software that belies it's 'old fashioned' appearance. There is also a free xplorer2 Lite that supports bulk renaming. As you set up your bulk renaming 'rule' you get a preview of what effect it will have in your folder.

Additionally, rather than renaming an extension, you can append an alternate extension. So you can rename your FILE1.mts to FILE1.mts.m2ts. If you ever needed to revert to the original extension there is a simple means to strip the alternate. This might seem overkill but consider this - today you only want to rename one type of file extension to .m2ts - in the future there may be other file types that require renaming to .m2ts. If there should become a large number of such variants it will become a difficult job to recall the files original extension - however a suffix gives you the best of both worlds.

Here is from the xPlorer2 manual

x2-1.pngx2-2.png

For free software my favourite site is Nonags. Here's links to their categories File Managing and File Renaming

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Imported clips are blank in Premier Organizer
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Nice list of utilities Neale!

Thanks,

Hunt