2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2007 5:59 AM by ChickAD

Purchasing Dillema

ChickAD
      I realize this isn't a technical question but maybe someone can give me some advice.

We currently have 4 technical authors on three sites throughout Britain, all using RH X5. I have a new author starting soon and would like to keep everyone using the same version. However, I'm finding it hard to buy a copy of X5. Everyone wants to sell me X6 or claim to be out of stock.

I don't want to buy a copy of X6 in case there are file interchange problems nor am I keen to update everyone to X6 this close to the release of RH 7 (assuming that Adobe will support upgrading from X5 to 7).
      Budgets for Tech Comms are as usual "tight" and I'm trying to keep the costs to a minimum.

I suppose this boils down to:
      Is there a risk of file compatibility issues if I use different versions of RH on the same set of project files?
      Will adobe support upgrading from X5 to X7

Charles Addison
      Technical Author
      UK
        • 1. Re: Purchasing Dillema
          Linux Rules Level 2
          Hello Charles -

First post I see - WELCOME!

You asked "Is there a risk of file compatibility issues if I use different versions of RH on the same set of project files?"

The short answer to your question is YES, there likely will be problems working X5 and X6 on the same project.

This has been discussed several times - the Search function is your friend.

Regards,
          GEWB
          • 2. Re: Purchasing Dillema
            ChickAD Level 1
            Thank you Linux Rules!

I guessed that would be the case. Looks like I'll have to transfer my license so they are both using the same version and upgrade to X6 for my projects (as I work on separate product line).

I'll use search to find out what innevitable problems there are with upgrading ;-)