1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 5, 2010 11:09 AM by John T Smith

To Be . . . or Not to Be

cfsKC Level 1

I now find myself second guessing a decision I made earlier to make my new computer a dedicated Adobe workstation.

I spend 20 - 30 hours per month working with Premiere Pro, primarily on AVCHD projects with some P2 editing. Another 15+ hours is spent on Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign projects, using the Creative Suite 5 Master Collection, for the work I do for the three websites I created. The rest of my comuter time is spent on the Internet or working on Word or Excel files.

The parts for my new machine (i7-930, 24GB RAM, ASUS P6X58D, EVGA GTX 470, 600GB VelociRaptor, four WD 1TB HDs, Win 7 Pro and a Cooler Master HAF X case) will be delivered this week.

Although I have another decent computer (Core 2 Quad Q6700, 8GB RAM and Win 7 Pro 64-bit), the convenience of having all my work on a single machine is very tempting.

So, my question is . . .

Other than the potential harm from a virus infection, to what degree will the processing speed of Premiere Pro be compromised if I expand the usage of the new machine to include all my computer work?

Dan

• 1. Re: To Be . . . or Not to Be
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have only one computer (link in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 to what I built) and do not have any problems

Of course, I do ONLY PPro/Encore when I am editing... so there is no conflict at all with something that is just sitting on my boot drive

As you install Windows and software on your new drive, make a complete backup of the boot drive at every known good stage, to make it easy to restore if you have a problem

I use http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm and make image backups to a USB hard drive

Added

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information

I have 2 boot drives in my computer... an active one and a spare that is mounted in a drive bay but not connected to anything

Before I install anything major, or a couple times a year "just because" I will make an image backup of my active drive... turn the computer off and swap power and SATA cables to the spare drive... and then restore the image to the "new" active drive

This works perfectly, with no loss of anything and no need to re-register any program

1 person found this helpful