3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2010 9:55 PM by chris Harges

Smart Find & Repalce

chris Harges

I'm trying to write a script that will work its way through a story and replace strings only after finding a trigger string earlier in the story.

For example, if the script finds a word "AAAA" in the story, it will look for the next instance of the word "ZZZ" and replace it with with some text. Then it will look for "BBBB" and replace the "ZZZ" that follows that with different text."

I can get a script to find "AAAA" in a story and get its object reference and then find "BBBB" and get its object reference. What I'd like to do is have the script now look for "ZZZ" only in the text between the object reference of "AAAA" and the object reference of "BBBB" because I know there is only one instance of "ZZZ" in that section of text.

After setting the respective object references to the variables "firstMarker" and "secondMarker," I can't figure out how to do something like this:

set myText to text from firstMarker to secondMarker

Is this possible?
      Thanks!
      Sample script follows:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS4"

tell document 1

tell story id 158319

set finderVar to ""

repeat with a from 5 to count of words

set finderVar to text of word a of text of it

set finderVar to finderVar as string

if finderVar = "AAAA" then

set firstMarker to object reference of word a

repeat with s from 1 to 500

set endVar to text of word s of text of it

set endVar to endVar as string

if endVar = "BBBB" then

set secondMarker to object reference of word s    

set myText to text from firstMarker to secondMarker

return myText

end if

end repeat

end if

display dialog finderVar

end repeat

end tell

end tell

end tell

• 1. Re: Smart Find & Repalce
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Does Applescript have a property "index" for your found text? In JS, I can get a list of *all* "ZZZZ"s and only change the one with an index as close as (but not less) to the "AAAA" index I found.

• 2. Re: Smart Find & Repalce
            magic3000_chris

Hi....

I think simply use replace function can do it easily. e.g.

story.replace("AAAA ZZZ", "AAAA TEST1");

story.replace("BBBB ZZZ", "BBBB TEST2");

you can combine with regular expression for advance search.

cheers

Chris

• 3. Re: Smart Find & Repalce
              chris Harges Level 1

The problem magic3000_chris, unless I'm missing something, is that there's an indeterminate amount of text between the key strings ("AAAA" etc.) and the find/replace strings ("ZZZ"). And I can't use a regular expression at least not in the way I could imagine it with a positive lookbehind (find "ZZZ" that follows an indeterminate amount of text and "AAAA") because the positive look behind expression won't allow for a variable-length wildcard.

It does, though, look like Jongware's approach will work. Trying it now.