8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2010 7:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Scaling editing software to needs

papajoe0418

I've been doddering along with Adobe Premiere 6.5 -- mostly because I can't afford to upgrade -- but have been very satisfied with it since integrating After Effects (6.0!) and PhotoShop (6!) into my workflow.  (Yes, I know: Welcome to the 20th century!  But 6 is my lucky number.)

Now I'm looking at Premiere Elements and thinking...hmmm...maybe Elements is all the upgrade I need to allow me to edit my HD and AVCHD footage while still using AE for all of the heavy lifting like filters and effects.

Would this be a true statement if all I want to do is trim, fade, adjust audio and add basic titling; then output to AVI, QT or MPEG?  My average project is one or two finished minutes total.

Also, does anyone know if I could run Premiere 6.5 and Premiere Elements on the same machine (32-bit XP) such that I can choose one or the other for any given project?

Please don't laugh because I'm so inadequate.  I'm semi-retired and do not make a ton of money doing this stuff.

• 1. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
          the_wine_snob Level 9

From your description, PrE should do all that you want.

Note:

1.) AVCHD takes a very powerful computer to edit it. If you have less than a very fast Quad-core, you will be very frustrated. A hot i7 would be better.

2.) Both NLE's should coexist fine. Going back to PrE 4 and CS2 versions of PrPro, AE, etc., there WAS an issue. If one had the CS2 Production Studio installed, and then installed PrE 4, CS2 got broken. One had to do a Repair Install for all elements of CS2 Production Studio, but that was pretty simple, if one knew about having to do it. I have heard of no other conflicts.

3.) If you do not have a minimum of 2 physical 7200 RPM HDD's installed, that would be my next addition. Actually, 3 physical HDD's would be even better.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - In PrE, things will have moved, will have been renamed, and will look different, than they do in Pr 6.0. I would strongly recommend Steve Grisetti's books on PrE, from Muvipix. That will keep you from having to hunt for where things are in PrE.

PPS - PrE 9 should be out in a month, or so. I do not know what changes will be included. There should be a few pre-release reviews coming out soon, so you might want to wait a bit, and read those.

• 2. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>PPS - PrE 9 should be out in a month, or so

Based on the comments/problems I have read, PreEl-8 has been a problem for some people... and even Steve G has told people they might want to wait for Version 9 to be released if they don't need to buy "right now" (I can't point to a specific link, and my memory gets shorter as my years get longer, but I am "sure" I have seen Steve G say that... if I am wrong, I'm sure he will come along and say so)

• 3. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The PrE 8 caveats have appeared in several posts here.

Now, one wonders if some of those folk, issuing the caveat - "wait," are beta testing PrE 9. We can never know, as they will have signed NDA's, and are not at liberty to even mention that they are beta testing.

Let us all hope that PrE 9 is going to be a new standard for consumer NLE's, and that every i will be dotted, and every t crossed.

PrE 8 got a bad rap, right out of the gate. Some of that appears to have been deserved. A little bit of it might have been due to "features" that were very hardware intensive, and they took some by surprise. Adobe also felt that things could get better, so they released a fairly quick patch/update.

Fingers X'ed for PrE 9,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, I don't know that I specifically said to wait to version 9 -- but version 8 definitely does have its challenges.

The biggest challenge with working with AVCHD, no matter what program you use, is that it needs a heck of a lot of hardware power. At Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com, we recommend at least a quad core or i7 processor with 4 gigs of RAM.

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

I'm curious because you're running XP and Premiere 6.5 -- which could imply your computer is as much as 10 years old!

• 5. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I did not name names:

The PrE 8 caveats have appeared in several posts here.

and for very specific reasons. Some users have, though we may never know their complete thinking, or their reasons for doing so - other than hope.

I do agree strongly on the hardware end of things. When I saw "AVCHD," the same shiver went up my spine too.

Almost anything but the current state-of-the-art system will struggle, and quite possibly choke completely. I think that even a well-maintained early Quad-core will struggle. That is tough footage to deal with. Also, many flavors of H.264 will bring some pretty stout machines to their knees.

John T. Smith just built a new computer, with his target being AVCHD editing. So far he's pretty pleased with the results. Do not recall if he posted a link to his new computer above, but if not, I'll go find it. Of course, he'll probably drop by with that link, before I can find it.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, John T's link is in his ARTICLE on CS5 First Impressions, plus some comments on AVCHD editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Everyone please DO remember that I am NOT doing the next Star Wars epic with my AVCHD camera and the computer I built

I am a home hobbyist only wishing to inflict share with distant family (plus keep a record of what my wife does with changing the yard and the inside of the house) so my editing needs are fairly simple

Someone who is filming a movie to sell, with any kind of effects added, is likely going to need more computing power than I have

But... what I have is just about the "effective" minimum to edit AVCHD and not have permanent forehead marks from banging on the keyboard

• 8. Re: Scaling editing software to needs
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

But John, you bring the real world of AVCHD editing home.

Hunt