9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 5:29 AM by conmolbry

Problems exporting

conmolbry Level 1

I'm relatively inexperienced with FW so I hope this makes sense in the translation. I have a png file of a 2-column web page layout consisting of a gray border around each and white background. When I export as is, the slices export as they are supposed to as several jpg files. I have been trying to make the right (main content) column transparent so I can have a a grayed-out background image show through from underneath. I have been doing this by selecting that column, changing the canvas to transparent, and in the Optimize panel I select Gif | Adaptive | Alpha transparency. Then I proceed to export and it does indicate it is exporting as a .gif format, but I see no gif images in the main images folder. Still all jpg images, although the column files now have a "_s1" extension on the end. When I manually change the reference of the jpg files in the style sheet to .gif, the image actually shows through the right column but now the border images are entirely gone. This procedure worked well before when I was using FW8. I don't know if I'm missing a new exporting procedure to do since upgrading to CS5, or it is something entirely different. Any thoughts about this mystery are greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Problems exporting
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Looks like there are a few issues here. It would be a lot more helpful is you shared the PNG file with us as well.

1)Alpha Transaprency:  Your best option with this issue is to switch to either PNG 8 or PNG 32. Make sure the area is sliced and the optimization is set to the format I mentioned. Make sure no matte color is chosen either.

2)The S1 prefix is a result of new options for naming multi-state slices. The solution is to use custom naming for this. Darrell Heath has outlined the steps needed in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2785219#2785219 I've also written a tutorial on CMX that covers the topic as well: http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=9C63C

• 2. Re: Problems exporting
            conmolbry Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I don't know how to get you access to the image file. There doesn't appear to be an option to attach a file.

• 3. Re: Problems exporting
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

upload it to a file sharing site or your own web space and send a link.

Jim Babbage

• 4. Re: Problems exporting
                heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

One quick tip I make use of in the case of Transparent png is to save it as an Optimize setting and have direct access to it when I need it.

1. Window . Optimize

2. Instead of one of the default settings (JPG - Better Quality, for example) change the properties to what I have 'squared' in red. Then click the Panel properties icon, to the upper right (encircled in red).

3. From the context list choose 'Save Settings', give it a user friendly name - example PNG Transparent.

4. Then from here on out the PNG Transparent Preset option will be available along with the other prefabs.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems exporting
                  conmolbry Level 1

That's a very handy tip. Thank you for that.

• 6. Re: Problems exporting
                    conmolbry Level 1

The original png file here  http://www.conmolbry.com/image

My greatest problem is I can't seem to export to gif format in CS5.In the past I've been saving it to this format, because I thought pngs were not as widely accepted among different age of browsers. I just deleted all of the exported files in my image folder to try again starting  from a clean slate. I went back into FW, modified the canvas color of the right column in the png file to transparent, selected the gif alpha transparency, then exported as before. The new files that showed up in the image folder were all jpeg! So despite what format I should be exporting as, exporting as gif format is not happening for some reason. It was a very simple, straightforward procedure with FW8 and I'd done this many times without a hitch.

• 7. Re: Problems exporting
                      conmolbry Level 1

I wasn't getting any response so took the image down. Judging by the loud silence I clearly baffled everyone with my issue (or explanation of it). I'll try to figure things out and perhaps learn something in the process.

• 8. Re: Problems exporting
                        Jim_Babbage Level 4

You've had two pretty timely replies since you posted two days ago. Over a holiday weekend. Taking the image down won't allow anyone else to offer help (or those of us who took some time out for the holiday) to reply in more detail.

• 9. Re: Problems exporting
                          conmolbry Level 1

Understood, I wasn't expressing impatience. As I said, at this point I'm determined to figure it out on my own. Thank you.