2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2010 4:07 PM by CantonVideoMan

AE CS5 Shifts audio of MXF files in one channel (Stereo)

CantonVideoMan

Hi,

I imported an MXF file in AE CS5. The file contains stereo audio. The right channel of the audio is shifted 15 frames ealier than it should be. That same file imported into Premiere Pro CS5 works correctly. As a result when you export your AE composition with audio you get audio in one channel more than a 1/2 a second before it should start in the right channel and the left channel starts 'on time'. I'm not aware of any setting that would cause this. Does anyone know if this is a setting issue or a bug in AE? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have included screen shots to show the issue.

After Effects Audio Shift.gifPremiere Pro Audio.gif

• 1. Re: AE CS5 Shifts audio of MXF files in one channel (Stereo)
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update? That update fixes a lot of problems, including some problems with audio.

Also, please give much more information, including operating system, video and audio types (MXF is just a container type, and the audio and video can be of just about any format), third-party codecs installed...

• 2. Re: AE CS5 Shifts audio of MXF files in one channel (Stereo)
            CantonVideoMan Level 1

Thanks Todd the 10.0.1 update did the trick!!!! The audio is now in sync in both tracks.

For what it may be worth this is what I do know about the files provided from my client (they are not available over the weekend for more feedback). I tried pulling the data from Bridge and from the Meta Data window in AE but there was nothing of value reported in either.

The footage was shot with a "Sony Camera" (I wasn't given the model)

I was given 2 version of the footage one in Quicktime where they specified that they used the XDCAM EX codec [XD CAM EX 1080p24 (HG)]

I assume the MXF files uses the same codec.

Frame size: 1920h 1080v (1.0000)
            Frame rate: 23.976 frames/second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)
            Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Audio Sample rate: 48 KHz (24 bit stereo)

As far as my system goes:

Vista Ultimate 64 Bit OS - Service Pack 2

Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard

Intel Core2 Quad Processor (Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz)

8 GB RAM

Thanks again for the help....Bob