1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 2:05 PM by Michael Thornburgh

List of all peers in group

Omnivibe Level 1

I see the page at http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_User_List_with_RTMFP_Groups-17535.html deals with the exact problem I'm facing: how to maintain a list of all the peers in a group?

But it seems kinda silly to depend on a 5 minute timeout till we know a user has disconnected, and 2 minutes till we know a user has connected...

My questions are:

1) Is there a better way

2) At least for the connect, why can't the peer just post() on connect? When I tried it, it doesn't go through. Yet if I wait a little while (well, via text input) it does. Is there a certain event that lets me know I can now post() to the group? Seems like I should block all traffic till that's available anyway...

• 1. Re: List of all peers in group
          Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

a group is a distributed construct, and having a reliable, timely, and efficient enumeration of all the members at each member is infeasible.  choose any two of those. 

for your question #2, you could post something immediately on joining a group to let others know you're there.  however, you need to wait for the first NetGroup.Neighbor.Connect event, indicating that you have joined to at least one other member of the group.  until then, you're not completely connected to the group, so your posting won't propagate (since there's nowhere for it to go).