Premiere Elements 7 shutting down

tickfarmer

HP Pavilion dv4 Laptop

Windows Vista Home Premier 64 bit  Service Pack 2

Intel Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU

2.00 GHZ

4.0 GB ram

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset

NOTE:   Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 works fine on this computer.

Today I installed Premier Elements 7, as well as the required Elements703_patch.  Program will seem to open OK, but when I select a project button and click OK, I get the following message:

Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premier Elements to shut down.  We will attempt to save your current project.

When I click on the OK to acknowledge this message, the program shuts down.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program with the same results.  I cannot get past this first page of the program.  Any assistance in getting the program working will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For PrE, you will want to insure that your audio and video* driver are up to date. Also, you will want Apple's QT Player to be updated.

Now with a laptop, how much defragmented free space do you have on your HDD's? How many HDD's do you have?

* The Intel embedded graphics chip is not an ideal. Intel makes good chips, but their driver support is almost non-existent. I would check with the Intel site, and also the mfgr's. site, to see if there is a later one. Most users have found that bypassing the Intel graphics chip, and replacing it with an nVidia, or ATI card is by far the best recourse. Unfortunately, with a laptop, replacement will not be an option.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
            tickfarmer Level 1

Thanks for your rapid response Bill.  I have QT and will check my drivers.

There is plenty of free space on the one HDD I have, although it probably

could stand a defrag.  I'll run that also.

--

Mark E. Young, Jr.

MSgt, USAF (Ret)

IPMS 5494

KC-135A - Built When Man Thought He Could Burn Water

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
              the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say "plenty of free space," are you talking above ~ 30GB? Just checking, as PrE requires a ton of free space - much more than most people realize.

Good luck, and hope that the Intel is not a limiting factor,

Hunt

PS - you might find a few tips in this ARTICLE helpful.

PPS - did you fly the KC-135A? Not sure which model the wing here, at PHX Sky Harbor Airport is up to, but we have some friends, whose sons fly those, mostly to support the training out of Luke AFB. Two, however, just completed a tour of duty, for the Iraq support. Not sure exactly where they flew, and they probably could not tell me. One did see ground time in Iraq, and we just got a photo of him hoisting the American flag and saluting my wife. When he returned, he presented that flag to her. Let's just say that all involved cried - though for joy and pride.

I remember when Boeing introduced the 707. I loved that ship, especially compared with some that preceded it. It's like the DC-10 and the 747BC - you just fall in love with some ships.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
                tickfarmer Level 1

Bill,

All drivers are up to date, drive defragged, 153 GB free space.

I got past the opening screen a couple of times, but all I have is a grey

screen and a menu bar on top.  Not many functions available.  The last

couple of times I tried opening a project, it went back to the shut down

mode.

Will tinker with it more tomorrow.

Good night

--

Mark E. Young, Jr.

MSgt, USAF (Ret)

IPMS 5494

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Though probably an "easy target," my feeling would still be that the Intel graphics chip (and its lacking driver support) are at fault here. Some users can just never get those to work for video editing. Unfortunately, a laptop design precludes just updating the video card.

The biggest problem is that NLE's (Non Linear Editors) must interface much more closely with both the video and audio drivers, than almost any other program that one can have installed. What that means is that most programs happily work, while an NLE will crash, or hang.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
                    tickfarmer Level 1

Ain't that about a kick in the butt.

OK, I'll try installing it on the wife's desktop.  Not nearly as convienent,

but if that is what it takes to work.

Thanks for your efforts.  I'll let you know how it goes.

--

Mark E. Young, Jr.

MSgt, USAF (Ret)

IPMS 5494

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and hope that works,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
                        Birder42

I have PE 7 on a completely different system in the UK. At first it worked fine, but after the latest update from McAfee it started to come up with the same error message you describe when trying to load a project.

I found I had to switch off 'real time scanning' in McAfee just while the project loaded (then switch it back on).

Using this procedure I no longer get the error message.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 shutting down
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting.

Real-time scanning has caused no end to problems with NLE work. McAfee is not alone, in that either. That is one reason that I abide by the tips in this ARTICLE, prior to starting an editing session. Similar can happen with Windows Indexing too.

Appreciated,

Hunt