17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2011 7:55 AM by gtacyclist

I bought CS5 on ebay

staciu3688

I bought the entire CS5 program on ebay about 1 week ago.  I loaded it onto my brand new laptop with Windows 7.  Before I loaded the software I had to add a some necassary information onto my already existent host file on my computer.  I was told to do this by information contained on an extra cd I received with my purchase.  I did this.  My computer for some reason would not let me save this iformation so I created a new host file and saved it separately in the same location as the original.  I subsequently loaded all software with the programs on them.  Now when I try to use Illustrator or Photoshop or any of the the programs it asks me for a key.  I have the key but when I put it in, it says it is incorrect.  Then it says I can continue with my 30 day trial if I would like. This is NOT a trial. I bought the full program.  Has anyone had this issue before? Could it be a problem with the host file being incorrectly installed? I don't know. Please help.

• 1. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If the serial number that you entered is not recognized, I would guess that you've been misled by the person who sold you the software on eBay.

I have no idea what you're talking about with regard to the host file and the extra CD. It sounds fishy.

If you're having serial number problems, you should contact Adobe Customer Service:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

• 2. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

> add a some necassary information onto my already existent host file on my computer.  I was told to do this by information contained on an extra cd I received with my purchase

I have the CS5 Master Collection... and what you describe is like nothing I have EVER seen with a software install, and also something I have NEVER seen mentioned by anyone, in any Adobe forum

I think you were sold a hacked/stolen product, and you now have a computer that is subject to being taken over as a "zombie"

I could be wrong about that... but, again, there was no extra CD with what I bought from a known good source, and no need to do anything to the hosts file

• 3. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
              sookoll Level 1

It is definately not legal copy. No genuine Adobe program needs you to fiddle with hosts file.

Usually it works that way that one has to add lines to hosts file to block adobe verification server and then one can use it with illegal serial (that intially passes as real, but later is identified as not legal) and that is exactly what has happened.

Even if you get it to work, it is still not legal, if online verification rejects that serial.

• 4. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                Taverino Level 2

Just out of curiosity, how much did you "save" by buying it on eBay?

• 5. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Your experiences sound about right - for pirated software. You might want to take a look at this THREAD from the PS for Windows forum. It says everything much better, than I ever could.

Sorry to bear the bad news. I'd start proceedings to get a full refund and immediately.

Hunt

• 6. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                    Phil Griffith Level 2

Good luck on getting your money back. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

• 7. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                      Studio North Films Level 3

if you paid via paypal, you should be fine, just call them up and tell them what has happened.

Baz

• 8. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thinking a bit more about this...

Your hosts security file is now compromised, so there is no way to know for sure just what kind of site you have allowed access to your computer... if you do banking on your computer, you may very well have given away your account number and password

You have what is just about a 99.9% surety of a hacked/pirate version of CS5

You should immediately copy all DATA files to an external backup (DVD or USB drive) and then de-activate everything and format your drive and start fresh by installing Windows and all of your programs

Then, in the future, be more careful about trying to save money by buying software on eBay

• 9. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                          staciu3688 Level 1

Thanks for all your information.  I kind of figured it was a lemon. I am returning it hopefully.  I've uninstalled everything and deleted any files transferred or changed on my comuter.  But thank you for your advice.

• 10. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and hope that eBay, and perhaps PayPal, or your credit card company will stand with you.

Unfortunately, there are several bad things that can happen with bogus software:

1.) is illegal and likely will not run

2.) credit card info can be re-used

3.) interesting "stuff" can be contained, and can open one up for a real tragic ending - kinda' like "the gift that keeps on giving."

I feel that there are actually some legit sellers of software on the Earth, but it seems that few people ever come in contact with any of them. I would personally be triple-shy of ANY software on-line, eBay, or other. My chances of finding the one legit seller, are about 1,000,000:1.

Hunt

• 11. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                              Steve C2 Level 2

If you can, to protect yourself and your pc from what some of the posters suggest could be rogue software, you should strongly consider doing a complete reinstall of your pc and all of your software.  Before you do that, you should back up any data/important files.  Before reinstalling your os, you should do a complete re-format of your drives.  Of course, if you don't believe that your pc is at risk, then you can opt not to do these things.

Steve

• 12. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                                BarryBrum

Sorry to hear about that bad purchase, however, you've most likely  compromised the security of your system.  After a total manual cleaning  and reformatting of your PC, I  suggest that you run AVG or another comparable anti-virus anti-malware  software asap on your computer. I repeat, ASAP. Download AVG free if you  don' already have it. ,

Next, to be safe, you should contact your personal  banker and at the least change out your passwords or, better yet, close out the accounts  and establish new ones. If you think I'm being paranoid, think again.  You can wake up tomorrow morning and have your bank accounts emptied and credit  cards compromised. You also risk your email address book being taken over and spoofed.

If Ebay doesn't want the disc back as evidence, cut it up or damage it and throw it away, lest some other poor unsuspecting soul gets their  hands on it.

PS: Don't buy the Antivirus software on Ebay.  Brum

• 13. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                                  marko_63

Though I see the point you are trying to make the comment

"Your hosts security file is now compromised, so there is no way to know for sure just what kind of site you have allowed access to your compute"

Is a bit extreme.  It takes 2 seconds to check the contents of your hosts files to see what is set up there.

Fear mongering is not a realistic way to help this guy out.

My 2 cents

• 14. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The OP states:

Before I loaded the software I had to add a some necassary information onto my already existent host file on my computer.  I was told to do this by information contained on an extra cd I received with my purchase.  I did this.  My computer for some reason would not let me save this iformation so I created a new host file and saved it separately in the same location as the original.

While many could probably make changes to the Host file to close any security gaps (and my bet is that there were security gaps in the instructions), I am not sure that the OP would be comfortable with the task. Until the potential vulnerabilities are closed completely, it is likely that the OP is sitting exposed to whatever the seller wishes to do. Not sure that I would call the warnings "fear mongering," but hey, that's just me. Having the OP's computer open to all sorts of attacks is not a good thing.

There are common motivators, when one sells pirated software. One is to just rip off the person, who is looking for a deal, and pocket their money. Another, and this certainly seems to fit that mold, is to not only rip the buyer off for the price paid, but to convince them to allow an exploit to be placed on their machine. One cannot be 100% certain what that exploit is for, but I think it's a safe bet that it is NOT to allow the seller to upload updates for Premiere. What else could it be designed for? Well, banking records and passwords spring immediately to my mind. The creation of a zombie for nefarious uploading could be another motivator. Lots of possibilities, and I highly doubt that any of them will benefit the purchaser.

Hunt

• 15. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                                      marko_63 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the reply (after posting I had noticed the date of the thread and thought my comments would go un-read)

I really am only trying to clarify one point.  The Windows host files plays no part with "in-coming" connections nor does it open any type of hole in your network.  The worst thing that could happen is for an entry to be added that would re-direct your URLs to another IP address.  A scary enough event but easily identified within the HOST file.  As far as it being compromised by simply commenting out every entry you have repaired the file itself.

I guess my point was for the unlucky buyer was to inspect the new host file entries (perhaps even post them on this Forum) and save himself the panic of shutting down bank access, reformatting hard drives and the like.

The reason I have stumbled upon this was I had been asked by a client to look into reasons why HOST file entries are changed.  During my research I found that the number #1 reason this is done with Adobe is to block the URL for the activation.  The host file is changed so that whatever.adobe.com is redirected to the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 which prevents absolutely no risk to the system at all, other than having trouble accessing sites etc in the xxxx.adobe.com domain.  I also have no idea whether these changes even work in getting around the activation procedure.

Again to I reiterate I have no clue what was installed or changed in the "victims" system and it may very well be crawling with Viruses and Trojans, I simply wanted to weigh in on the HOSTS file situation.

Fascinating topic !

Mark

• 16. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, any potential damage, has probably been done to the OP's computer, or hopefully not. Being hosed by a pirate is bad enough.

Now, with the Activation, Internet access is required, or one needs to work with Adobe. After the products (that require Activation) are Activated, Adobe does till "phone home," but many do not place their NLE machines on-line, and things seem to work fine. As for the hosts file, I have to admit that I am nowhere near an expert in what it might, or might not be able to allow to happen on one's computer.

The directions of the seller could be rather benign, and only to get around the Activation, and the Registration of the product. OTOH, they could be much more nefarious, and that would be my main concern. As I mentioned, there are two big reasons to sell pirated software - the profit going in, and the payload coming out. The former is bad enough, but the latter can be catastrophic. Being the paranoid type, and also one who only buys from Adobe Store, or a certified reseller, I never worry about the former. For those, who look "the other way," in hopes of saving $'s, I feel for them, but have little real sympathy. As the latter will never affect me, I do worry about those, who have attempted to save the $'s, but then loose much, much more.

As the OP never reported back, I would like to think that they got their $ back, and that they bought a legit copy of PrPro. Or, their machine was compromised and they are in "debtor's prison," broke? Given the time, we will probably never know.

I appreciate the discussion on the host file, and the potential limitations of it. I am anything but a security expert, and do lead a very sheltered life, trying to shield myself from "evil doers."

Still, were I the OP, I would turn OFF System Restore in the OS, and then boot to Safe Mode, choosing a System Restore Point, prior to the host file hacking. I would Delete any vestige of that copy of PrPro, and run a Registry cleaner, several time, plus do several sweeps with my various anti-virus, and spyware sweepers, before I turned System Restore back ON. Remember, I am the paranoid one, but that does not mean that THEY are not out to get me.

Thanks for the comments, as I learned something new, prior to Midnight here.

Hunt

• 17. Re: I bought CS5 on ebay
                                          gtacyclist Level 1

Highly probable that this CS5 suite is not legit. One likely reason why one would edit the hosts file is to avoid CS5 (or any software for that matter), from "phoning home" to Adobe for verification/activation. I would not trust a software that requires me to mess with the hosts file... it could be virus free but a lot of things are possible... hidden keylogger, a trojan, etc. might be lurking inside. If you want to get the softare at a more reasonable price, it is better to avail of student discount packages and the like.