31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 2:03 PM by jaeysin

Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1

xmlcowboy Level 1

Adobe Updater keeps telling me there are updates available but when Im trying to update I get this:

Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1

Installation failed

This error tells me nothing. How on earth should I know what went wrong?
      I tried downloading the update from http://blogs.adobe.com/csupdates/2010/09/03/adobe-player-for-embedding-3-1/ aswell but I get the same error.
      Createive Suite 5 - OS X 10.6.4
      Any help appreciated  -  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
          davenicoll Level 1

I've got the same problem. Digging in the logs, I see -

06/09/2010 07:49:54 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[167] 167 (com.adobe.ARM.930da3ce175de4e82bd3cdf1dd8571f74bd3b6a7236bc94bfc00f6e9[2184]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Updater/Adobe Acrobat Updater Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Acrobat Updater Helper", ...): No such file or directory

Not sure why that's an issue, Updater doesn't say anything about updating Acrobat and I've not got it installed.

• 2. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
            xmlcowboy Level 1

Tried creating the dir /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Updater/Adobe Acrobat Updater Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Acrobat Updater Helper  manually   with

mkdir -p "/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Updater/Adobe Acrobat Updater Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Acrobat Updater Helper"

and then rerun the installer but didnt help.

Which log file did you find this in?

• 3. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
              n89b Level 1

I am also experiencing this problem.  It would appear the updator is looking for the Acrobat update helper (which I assume is an executable binary) but since Acrobat is not installed it cannot find it.  Perhaps if Acrobat was previously installed some old plists might be referencing it - I tried to find files containing 'acrobat', deleted several, but it still doesn't work.

• 4. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                davenicoll Level 1

I installed the Acrobat Trial to see if it'd make the error go away, and it did, but the updater still doesn't work. The logs now show:

--

ERROR: 6 Unable to locate file to patch at "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/APE/3.1/adbeapecore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AdobeSWFL.bundle/Content s/Resources/en.lproj/PlayerUILocalizable.strings"

ERROR: 6 Command ARKPatchCommand failed.

ERROR: 6 Unable to delete file at "/Library/Application

Support/Adobe/APE/3.1/adbeapecore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AdobeSWFL.bundle/Contents /Resources/en.lproj/PlayerUILocalizable.strings"

ERROR: 6 Error rolling back command ARKPatchCommand

ERROR: The following payload errors were found during install:

ERROR:  - Adobe Player for Embedding_3.1_AdobeAPE3-mul: Install failed

--

The file mentioned - "PlayerUILocalizable.strings" - doesn't exist so the updater dies. I've reinstalled Flash Player and Air, but neither helped.

• 5. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                  AllenCobb Level 2

This has been going on with my system for a week now. Application Manager starts up, tries to update virtually all apps in CS5 Master Collection, seems to succeed with most of the apps, and then hangs on Media Encoder and (if I kill the process) continues for a few more apps and then hangs on Adobe Player for Embedding. It looks like most of the updates involve the embedded player, since if I uncheck any of the APE entries, it unchecks most of the other updates.

I should mention that as far as I can tell, all the apps are working, and I haven't had any problems. Other than this, which doesn't bode well...

I tried chatting with a nice chap in India, but he didn't seem to understand, and ended up recommending that I reinstall the entire Master Collection.

It's not at all clear where is the best place to report this error, since it's the APE and the Application Manager are both "not apps" with their own forums.

Allen

• 6. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                    davenicoll Level 1

I'm willing to bet that if I had the file "/Library/Application

Support/Adobe/APE/3.1/adbeapecore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Adobe  SWFL.bundle/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/PlayerUILocalizable.strings", the updater would work fine. I tried copying a different language file into its place, but the upgrader is smart enough to know it's the wrong file and still fails.

Just to recap, so far I've -

1. installed Adobe Acrobat trial (fixed the first error I posted above)

- the upgrader progress bar gets to around 15% before it dies.

2. downloaded the Adobe Player for Embedding .dmg, opened the .dmg and copied the contents to the desktop - where I ran them from

- the upgrader progress bar gets almost to the end before it exits with an error.

I suggest you open console (in spotlight type console and hit return) and have a look in the adobe logs (there are several in the tree, however if you run the standalone APE 3.1 installer, it'll create it's own log) to identify what it's failing on. Hope it helps.

If anyone happens to have a pre-APE 3.1 "/en.lproj/PlayerUILocalizable.strings" file, could you post it here? Maybe that'll fix this issue. Maybe.

• 7. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                      AllenCobb Level 2

Thanks for the input.

Interesting but inconclusive things have happened.

In the Adobe folder where the Patches folder is found, I found another Adobe folder containing a Patches folder. So I (with derring do) merged the lower Patches folder into the upper one.

Then I rebooted, and this time I ran Updater from the Help menu in Photoshop, instead of waiting for it to run itself. This time, the Player for Embedding actually installed correctly, and 10 of the 12 updates were thereby completed. Perhaps running the Updater as the first app after a reboot made a difference.

For some unknown reason, Updater shows two instances of After Effects and Premiere Pro. I suppose this might be due to a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version of each, but there's no indication. Photoshop, which is also in two versions, only shows up once. AE and PP provide the 32-bit version as the old CS4 apps, rather than an explicit 32-bit variant of the CS5 apps.

I found the knowledgebase article that my overseas "tech" support person was trying to communicate to me (without much success), and confirmed that it has nothing to do with this problem, since it predates all the updates which are failing. Something to do with 8.3 file naming preventing original installs on Windows, I believe. When I tried to point this out to him in live chat, he suddenly went silent.

Now when I run Updater from within an app, it correctly discovers that that app is already running and waits politely for me to terminate the app.

Downloads complete reasonably quickly (I have 100MB fiber). The installs, however, take as much as ten minutes to complete. However, with two exceptions, they all seem to complete successfully.

At this stage, the updates for Premier Pro and Dreamweaver finish without complaint, and then announce that they failed. The Adobe Support Advisor app finds nothing of interest in the logs, and then says it's uploading a packaged report to Adobe. So there is no indication of any kind why these two apps are now failling to update. I haven't yet found the logs under Win7/64.

The Dreamweaver update claims to be for the HTML5 features, but I already installed a plugin from Adobe Labs for HTML5, so perhaps that's causing a problem. I'll try uninstalling the plugin and re-updating.

The Premier Pro update is a complete mystery. I could have sworn I already had 5.0.2, but it is now 5.0.1, so either I'm misremembering or the Updater managed to roll it back unnecessarily.

Too bad there isn't a forum for the Adobe Application Manager program. I hope someone from Adobe is paying attention to this thread.

Allen

• 8. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                        xmlcowboy Level 1

Allen,  this Patches folder - where is it located?

Is adobe looking over these forums for issue reports our are we on our own?

I really dont have the energy to reinstall creative suite

• 9. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                          n89b Level 1

Conversely, I didn't have the energy to fix it!  However I haven't changed anything much from the base install so I didn't have much to lose.  I removed everything, used the adobe cleanup utility to remove all debris from cs3-5, searched the hard drive for anything adobe and deleted (with caution, I didn't want to remove adobe air, flash etc).  Reinstalled (but without media encoder, I wasn't really using it) and updated with no problems.  Good luck to the rest of you in fixing it!

• 10. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                            AllenCobb Level 2

I agree -- I don't have the time or inclination to reinstall CS5 Master Collection unless something really dire requires it.

The patch files in Win7 were in two places, and after I consolidated them, and some updates ran successfully, they are again in two folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobePatchFiles (22 items)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe\AdobePatchFiles (2 items)

The two items in the redundant (lower) folder are brand new, since my successful update of everything but PremierePro and Dreamweaver.

I don't know if moving the lower folder contents into the upper folder had any effect, since there were two other differences for that last update run:

1. I ran the update from inside a CS5 app instead of letting it run off the scheduler.

2. I ran it immediately after a reboot, and after all disc activity had settled down.

My next experiment is to move these new patch files into the upper folder, reboot again, and see if PP and D will update. If they do, that tells us something. My guess is that the updater app may be slightly out of sync with the obviously erroneous Adobe/Adobe/AdobePatchFiles folder location.

So far, I have been unable to get any response from Adobe, so I guess we're on our own. There's no obvious way to report this kind of problem, short of calling and spending time on the phone, which I rarely have time to do. And I'm certainly not going to buy a support session. I suspect that the problem will eventually get discovered and resolved, and a silent update of the updater will occur, or some such scenario.

Allen

• 11. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                              AllenCobb Level 2

Well, in the Random Testing Department, I merged the two AdobePatchFiles together (about 500MB), and put all files in both locations. Rebooted. Invoked Updater from inside Dreamweaver and (after another reboot) inside PremeierePro.

Both updates failed, after much encouraging progress bar animation.

I guess a phone call is next, once I can carve out enough uninterrupted time for that.

Allen

• 12. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                AnkurO Level 1

I just wanted to say I am also getting the same error. Maybe adding to the numbers here will get Adobe developers to notice something is wrong.

• 13. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                  theresesamuelsson Level 1

Having the same problem. There were several updates available, but they all failed since Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1 refuses to install. All the applications in CS5 are up to date since installing them manually from Adobe's website worked fine. Tried updating Adobe Player for Embedding too, but it still fails.

Running Mac OSX 10.6.4.

• 14. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                    AllenCobb Level 2

I'm still unable to update Dreamweaver and Premiere Pro. No clue why. For some reason, as described above, all the APE updates suddenly went through (immediately following a reboot), and everything involved got updated. Your msg inspired me to try downloading Dreamweaver, which is now up to 2.0.3 (the updater was trying to install 2.0.2 before), but it still failed.

It's a shame that the failure message gives not even the faintest hint as to what is going wrong. It goes through the whole update process, according to the progress bar, and then at 0% just clears the progress bar and says the update failed. It seems like some final disk write action is being disallowed, or some permission is missing. I've also tried being more explicit about admin mode, but nothing helps. I've run into a few bugs in Dreamweaver in the last few days, and I'd really like to see if the two point upgrades might fix them.

The downloaded patch seemed like a good possibility, but it ends up just invoking the Updater, so there's no new feedback to go on.

Allen

• 15. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                      LinkCo2 Level 1

I"ve got the same issue. Thought it was something I did. Glad to hear others are having the same issue. Not so glad we still don't have a fix.

I tried the standalone install here http://blogs.adobe.com/csupdates/tag/adobe-player-for-embedding/ and got the same error.

Gotta say the orignal Macromedia products were better before Adobe got their hands in it all.

• 16. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                        12345scott Level 1

Sad to read all of the troubles here; the solution is simple and darn Adobe in this case.

This is "one of those"  ARGH installs that won't work from a disk image on a Mac---why the hell not one might ask. I have no idea.

So,  open the dmg like you are going to install  and rather than clicking on the installer,

copy the installer and the payloads folder to the desktop and install from there.

Works like a charm.

Don't know about Windows, but maybe similar?  and the above is not to my credit; I just had the same problem and read it somewhere.

Scott

• 17. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                          theresesamuelsson Level 1

Tried it, but update still fails. Installation loads and installs to 100%, and then I get the error message saying "Installation failed".

• 18. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                            davenicoll Level 1

I gave up. Backed up my settings, uninstalled, ran the CS clean-up tool (CS3/4 first, then CS5 mode), reinstalled, and it's all working fine.

• 19. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                              alkemiko Level 1

I've the same error !!

I have removed cs5 with clean tool I have installed the master collection but I have the same problem. In my Flash case For Cs5 it goes in crash when I export in sw.   win 7 64 bit OS

• 20. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                AllenCobb Level 2

I'll try that, although I'm on Win7 and it might not apply. I'm suspecting some stupid folder tree path is

off -- perhaps using a relative path somewhere in the script. The whole install goes without a hitch, and then ends with the failure, and it just seems

more like a glitch than a serious problem. Not that this problem isn't serious.

I did try reinstalling Dreamweaver (haven't tried Premiere Pro yet) from DVD, but the update failed again. I haven't found a way to UNINSTALL an app from the Master Collection without uninstalling the entire collection. Does anyone know a way to do that? On Win7 the uninstaller is for the whole suite.

I've wasted quite a lot of time on this so far.... <sigh>

Allen

• 21. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1 - FIXED
                                                  AllenCobb Level 2

After uninstalling Dreamweaver (the CS-5 Master Collection (or any Suite version, presumably) allows uninstallation of individual apps), and then running the CS-5 CleanScript tool, and then reinstalling those apps from the distribution DVDs, the updates for both apps ran successfully and my recalcitrant copies of Dreamweaver and Premiere Pro are now fully current, without any problems.

I don't know how or why these installations were corrupted, since the initial install appeared to go without a hitch, but this kind of problem rarely succumbs to analysis. Besides, as the next wave of updates rolls in, these problems become obsolete anyway.

But for those experiencing this kind of problem, this seems to be a successful solution of last resort. It wasn't terribly burdensome, since most of the suite was left alone, but it took many days of searching and experimenting and asking before it became clear that there wasn't any quick fix, and that the CleanScript tool was available.

Allen

• 22. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1 (solved)
                                                    alkemiko Level 1

Hey guys,

I've solved !!

1) I've uninstalled master collection from windows contol panel

2) I run clean Cs5 tool

3) I've removed all adobe folders (manually)  ( inlcuded common files folder)

4) clean registry entry with CCLEANER

5) reinstalled MAster COllection 

and now it work Perfect !!

SOrry for my english-

• 24. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                      blob0201 Level 1

Same problem here. Please adobe help your customers to fix this.

• 25. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                        Ronald Yabroff

Is there a fix for this yet?

• 26. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                          AllenCobb Level 2

It was fixed for me, as explained in the earlier parts of the thread.

Although I think the installers should be able to handle the problem(s) more gracefully (more informatively), at least a clean reinstall did the trick for me (both the player for embedding, and other install problems I cited later in this thread).

• 27. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                            kcolwell Level 1

I was able to get past this problem by copying the following folder from a different mac to the mac that couldn't run the installer correctly.

"/Library/Application Support/Adobe/APE/3.1/adbeapecore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj"

After moving that file to the computer that was having the problem the install worked perfectly.

Good Luck.

Ken Colwell

• 28. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                              LarryKaufmann Level 1

Same problem.  Updated keeps wanting to update all my CS5 programs, but gives error message that "Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1" Installation failed.  ADobe Support Advisor shows no problems.  Using MAC OS 10.6.2 on a MacBook Pro.  Don't have enough skills to mess around in the guts of the program - Expect Adobe to provide the solution to THEIR problem without having to buy their support package!

• 29. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                                jaeysin Level 1

I might have found a solution for this problem. From a Adobe employee:

To fix, this, we need to remove the AAM Updater cache/preference files  from the system, empty the Trash, and reboot the computer.

Put these folders in the Trash:

/Users/jason/Library/Caches/Adobe
                                                                /Users/jason/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater

Then, empty the Trash.

Then restart the Mac. (This is essential, so don't skip it. It will  clear out TEMP files that could still be in use by the updater.)

After the machine comes back up, download the update again (from the  website or via Help > Updates in one of the CS5 applications), and  then install the update.

Seems to have worked for me.

• 30. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                                  LarryKaufmann Level 1

Jason,

Many thanks but still no joy - see attached. A regular update now also

failed to install...

Best,

Larry Kaufmann

• 31. Re: Unable to update Adobe Player for Embedding 3.1
                                                                    jaeysin Level 1

Too bad, I recommend posting your problem here on GetSatisfaction: http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe

It seems to be watched more closely by Adobe employees than the forums here. I got a response to my post within a matter of a couple of hours. Keep us updated here if you get an update.

J