29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 11:11 PM by pemogon

Problem playback in premiere

pemogon

Hi

First, sorry for my english.

I've got a problem when i playback any video in the timeline . The head playback skips back one frame and then returns to his position playing correctly. It's a jump back of one frame and then returns and playback normally.

My gpu is Quadro FX 4500, i7, 6Gb RAM.

thank you

• 1. Re: Problem playback in premiere
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 2. Re: Problem playback in premiere
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I'd do (while reading though John T's link), would be to go to nVidia and get the latest driver for the FX-4500 for your OS.

I just downloaded a new one (for XP) on Thursday, in case a recent update for XP messed things up.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. BTW - I thought that your English was perfect.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem playback in premiere
              pemogon Level 1

Hi

Sorry but i'm still with the same problem.

I wonder if it would be for a conflict codecs.

My computer details: Production premium cs5, Windows 7 64, Quadro FX 3800, 6gb RAM.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>would be for a conflict codecs.

Since you don't give any DETAILS, nobody can answer

Go back to my previous reply and go to the troubleshooting link... then answer ALL of the questions

• 5. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                  pemogon Level 1

Hi

These are the details

1- The codecs used in your source clips: Any Codec

2- Premiere Pro

1. Version number: CS5 5.0.2
                  1. Installation language: English
                    1. Updates applied: all
                  2. Project/sequence settings: Any project/sequence has the trouble.

3-

1. Operating System
                    1. Name: Windows 7
                    2. Update/patch level: update
                    3. Installed language: Spanish
                    4. Display resolution and color depth. 1920x1200 32bit

4- CPU type and speed: Intel Core i7 2.80ghz

5- Amount of memory (RAM): 6Gb

6-

Video card

1. Manufacturer: nvidia
                  2. Model: Quadro FX 3800
                    1. Driver version: 259.57

7- Number of monitors (displays) in use: 1

8- Audio card

1. Manufacturer: Realtek High Definition Audio
                  2. Model
                  3. Driver version: 6.0.1. 6037

9- Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining: 1 hard drive 1gb. 2 partitions

12- Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.: Colorista II, Magic Bullet Looks, Revision Twixtor.

15- Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using the same procedure: nothing worked, Updated all the drivers.

16- Very importantly: Post details of troubleshooting you have already done to avoid "did that" reponses to questions people ask when trying to help: Updated graphic card drivers.

Thank you very much.

• 6. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

#9 Only one hard drive does not meet Adobe's minimum specifications,

• 7. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

So you have two video cards, a FX4500 and a FX3800 and only 1 patitioned hard disk?

Remove the FX4500, Add two SATA disks and try again.

• 8. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                        pemogon Level 1

Sorry, i got wrong. I've got just one graphic card, FX 3800.

• 9. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Then all you need to do is remove that partition from your C drive and add two SATA disks and try again.

• 10. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                            pemogon Level 1

I use an external hard drive to edit.

• 11. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the connection speed/type of that external HDD?

For a bit of background on partitions on a video editing computer, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

As long as it is an eSATA it should work, if it is FW400 or USB, you are OK for backups, nothing else.

• 13. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                  carny_ Level 1

Hi,

well I'm glad there is someone out there with the same problem as me. I've been tearing my hair out with this problem too on my system. There's nothing wrong with your specs, it does the same on my system: core i7 2.8ghz 12 gb Ram dual quadro 3800s 2 x sata 1TB 7200 rpm 1x 60GB SSD windows 7 64

I thought it was strange because the playhead skips back and also windows media and quicktime player, vlc etc had no problem playing any of the files I was trying to edit with inside of Premiere.  the same thing happens in both CS4 and CS5. (and with the mercury engine gpu accelaration on or off)

I spent ages reinstalling codecs which I thought was the problem, but the problem is caused by the Realtek HD on-board audio driver. If you disable the realtek audio then you can edit perfectly. i've tryed the latest driver obviously but its still the same.

so i'm thinking of buying audio interface and not use the onboard audio as i read somewhere in my research on this problem that onboard audio causes all sorts of problems.

I might try some old Realtek drivers first though....

please post back if you find working drivers that solve this problem.

• 14. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                    pemogon Level 1

Hi carny

I disable the realtek audio and YES, you are right, i can edit pefectly.

I've been testing many different versions of the codec and the problem retuns.

I dont know what to do.

thank you anyway.

• 15. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                      carny_ Level 1

Pemegon, I think the only answer is to get a separate sound card like an external usb/firewire soundcard or an

internal pci express soundcard, or an audio interface as I don't think there will be a driver fix for this problem.

I have just bought an external audio interface which will arrive on monday so hopefully I can edit with this. (and not use the motherboard sound chip)

I will let you know if this works for me.

• 16. Re: Problem playback in premiere

There is one important specification missing from all the above.  What is the motherboard?

Generally adding a sound card causes problems not the reverse.

• 17. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                          pemogon Level 1

Hi Bill

Mine is ASUS P6X58D-E

thanks

• 18. Re: Problem playback in premiere

I would then suspect that if you are not having problems with other audio output from that board (and others do not) then it seems the five possibilities that I can think of are::

1. Drivers which you seem to have covered
                                            2. Conflicts with other software.
                                            3. Your using of an external drive which is not fast enough and turning off the audio drivers simplifies the Premiere playback problem.
                                            4. Defective board????
                                            5. Could it be that the Spanish version is causing problems with Adobe's software????

Run HDtach or some other drive benchmark on the external drive and report back.  Also have you turned off indexing on your drives?

• 19. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                              carny_ Level 1

Hi Bill,

I have the exact same problem with a different motherboard (Gigabyte EX58 Extreme) I've tried different combinations of drive setup in Premiere including SSD, so its not a hard drive issue. I agree it could be a software conflict somewhere but premiere/adobe software is having problems with this onboard Realtek audio.

I've also realised I have an audio problem in After effects when using the Realtek HD, although more subtle. When rendering Ram previews the audio is often out of sync with the comp, but rendering a final composition audio is ok. This suggests a general Adobe problem with onboard audio on these motherboards, or an adobe conflict somewhere not just Premiere. I'll found out if using a different sound source solves the problem for me. hopefully it will, but we'll see. A dedicated sound card is always going to be better than an onboard audio solution anyway if you are building a decent system.

• 20. Re: Problem playback in premiere

carny_ wrote:

Hi Bill,

. A dedicated sound card is always going to be better than an onboard audio solution anyway if you are building a decent system.

I have never heard of a system that worked better editing with Adobe Premiere with a dedicated sound card.  I am sure that if you were to check with a highly qualified Video editing system builder like ADK Video you would hear the same thing.

Because editing is so much more demanding than playing back it more than likely has something to do with your setup.  Try running our PPBM5 Benchmark where you can see and compare your motherboard against an identical happy motherboard user and see where you need improvement.

• 21. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                  carny_ Level 1

Thanks for sending the link to the benchmark project.

An update regarding my situation:

I've managed to fix my main problem with playback on my projects by disabling an overclocking program called easytune for gigabyte boards. This seems to be the culprit for me for the glitchy playhead problem, now its fine and I can edit normally again on my projects. I forgot to mention that this problem only started for me recently and I only started using this overclocking software recently.

However I downloaded the Benchmark project to test and even though it produces perfectly fine results and takes about 5.5 minutes to encode all the media queue. If I try and playback the (rendered) timeline with the adobe mercury engine on, it has a lot of problems, slowing down and jumping sluggishly through different bits. If I playback with the software mpe renderer only it has no problems playing the timeline. I'm not sure what this means, maybe a graphics card driver problem or codec issues, any ideas? My system is well over the required spec.

I haven't seen the same problem with my own projects yet which all playback fine with the MPE. I've tried reinstalling windows and thats not changed the issues with the benchmark project.

thanks for any suggestions.

• 22. Re: Problem playback in premiere

Truthfully I have never tried playing the timeline. I always turn off playback after rendering option.  Five and a half minutes so your total PPBM5 score is about 330.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 23. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                      carny_ Level 1

Well maybe there are too many effects/overlays in HD for the Quadro  3800 to playback the timeline in realtime. It doesn't happen at the  beginning, just when all the overlays come up. This would make sense if  its not a codec/driver fault. Its just that the bar is yellow, so you  would expect it to play everything. I am also getting some inaccurate results from the script, both on my desktop and my laptop. To render the non mpe effects on the timeline takes my desktop about 13 secs, but the rendering time in the script at the end says some crazy high number like 12890secs??

Anyway don't want to get too much off-topic.

Pemogon, Do you have any overclocking motherboard utilities running in the background?

• 24. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Carny,

Follow the instructions to the letter. What you experience with the render times being way off is caused by the fact that you did not follow the instructions. When rerunning the test, you have to delete the preview directory first. It is all in the read-me file.

Yellow only means that you may be able to play back in real time, without rendering, it is no guarantee.

• 25. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                          carny_ Level 1

Ah ok think i was just selecting to delete preview files within Premiere not deleting the whole folder, makes sense now. Thanks.

• 26. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                            pemogon Level 1

Hi Carny

You go a step beyond of me. Yes, i have an overclock motherboard utility. I had the option turbe in mode on. Now in mode auto, the timeline playback better, but just better, i've got now a very slight jump.

• 27. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                              carny_ Level 1

I think you should try turning it off completely as it interferes too much with Premiere if running in the background, since then I've been overclocking by changing bios settings, which is more tricky, but when stable doesn't produce these glitches within Premiere.

• 28. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                                fxbio6600

hi all,

i have the same problem.. my pc have Asus P6T SE Motherboard with Realtek Hd audio.

when sound card is turned off from bios playback works perfectlly.

How i can resolve the problem without replace sound card with a pci one?

thanks

• 29. Re: Problem playback in premiere
                                                                  pemogon Level 1

Fxbio, I uninstalled the sofware that overclocked the motherboard. Just that.