10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 12:29 PM by nealeh

Instant-Movie - hung?

simondsmason

I am making an instant movie.  I added 129 clips (mostly very short - 15-30 seconds).  It indicated that it was analyzing all of the files and now it is stuck (apparently) at 100% Analyzing Media for the last file.  When I check Task Manager the program is not hung and I see the hard drive flickering every so often.  It has been at this stage for about an hour or so.  This is not the fastest PC - Pentium 4 3.2 GHz w/2 GB RAM.  Is it possible it is still processing, and if so, is there some other way I can check to make sure it is not hung (such as tmp files changing or something)?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
          nealeh Level 5

Windows Process Explorer from Windows Sysinternals should show you what is going on.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
            simondsmason Level 1

Thanks, I tried downloading this and running the Process Explorer.  It gave me some strange error that isn't mentioned on their forums so this started a whole series of other forum posting!  In the interim, I noticed that dialog it is stuck on has a Skip button.  As it is the last file that that is being analyzed and it is at 100% I decided to skip.  It warned me that the remaining files (of which there are none) will not be analyzed and I accepted this.  Now the same dialog is on the screen at 100% with a cancel button in place of the skip button!  I do however see more activity in task manager so I am going to let it go for a little longer.

• 3. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder are your source video clips coming from?

You've got an older computer with borderline minimal specs for your hardware. You may well find it next to impossible to work with some video formats (AVCHD for instance) on that machine. Especially if you're tight on hard drive space.

• 4. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
                nealeh Level 5

simondsmason wrote:

Thanks, I tried downloading this and running the Process Explorer.  It gave me some strange error that isn't mentioned on their forums so this started a whole series of other forum posting!

Oh dear. It works fine here so it could be a symptom of something 'up' with your machine that may also be affecting PRE. Hopefully if their forums can solve your process explorer problem it may also fix PRE as well.

Here's hoping,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
                  simondsmason Level 1

I got Process Explorer working - apparently it doesn't like running from a network drive.  I am not sure exactly what it is telling me though!  Any crash course tips on how to read this?  The Camcorder is a fairly recent Canon Elura 100.

• 6. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is that tape-based miniDV footage, captured by Premiere Elements over a FireWire connection?

• 7. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
                      simondsmason Level 1

All true except it was capture by Nero 10?  Do you think I should recapture it with Premiere?

• 8. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If PrE can Capture from your camera, that would be the best course of action.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
                          simondsmason Level 1

I moved to another faster machine and started to reload everything on there.  One issue showed up there which is true of my slower machine.  I have My Documents pointing to a shared network drive so that my documents are in sync between both machines.  I see that Premiere is using My Documents to store a lot of files.  Is there a way to move the Adobe directory to a local drive to improve speed without moving my entire My Documents?

• 10. Re: Instant-Movie - hung?
                            nealeh Level 5

Process Explorer is like task manager on steroids (so good that Microsoft bought the sysinternals company). If gives far more information about each process and you can drill down to get more info on those processes - this might give a better indication of whether or not PRE is still an active process.

But ... it's not the utility I meant to recommend (oops!). I meant to recommend Process Monitor. "Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity". i.e. you can see what it's reading and writing and therefore if PRE is still writing files. From the help file:

trace.png

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale