7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 2:45 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I hide the background color?

mercguy

I am having trouble with backgrounds, I think.  When I move a clip to the work area all I get is a solid red color I believe it to be the background color) with the sound still there.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: How do I hide the background color?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure why you're seeing red. If anything, a background should be black before you add anything to it.

If you want a background behind a clip, just put it on the Video 1 track and put your clip on the Video 2 track above it.

If your clips are all coming out red, it could be that they're using an incompatible codec or that you've got a mismatch between project settings and your source. What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer? What project settings are you using in Premiere Elements?

I've got several books available on Premiere Elements available on Amazon.com and from Muvipix.com. If you need some introductory training with Premiere Elements, check out my Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials, the first batch of which are free on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

• 2. Re: How do I hide the background color?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you post a screen-cap showing both your Timeline (with the Clip on it), and the Program Monitor, with that "red background?"

Also, can you tell us all about your source files (the ones that you Imported into PrE), in full detail?

Next, knowing what Project Preset you chose at New Project, would be very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I hide the background color?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

While you are gathering the info, please check that your video card's driver is the very latest, and that you have the latest version of Apple's QT Player installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I hide the background color?
                mercguy Level 1

File types are MP4 from a point and shoot Sony camera and MOV from a Cannon camera.  Las week it did not do this.  I use the default settings setting up a project.

Thank You,

Wayne Keller

Wayne Keller - Cell: 800-357-4020

Buy A Farm Land & Auction Co. LLC

PO Box 128, 1403 Hillcrest Drive

Sparta, Illinois 62286

Licensed Broker:  Illinois / Missouri

Managing Broker / Sparta, IL Office

Cell: 800-357-4020

Office: 618-443-1998

Fax: 618-443-2161

• 5. Re: How do I hide the background color?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I use the default settings setting up a project.

If you have not made any changes, then the "default" is probably a PAL, or NTSC, DV Preset, and your material is not DV-AVI, so you will have issues.

You can use the great, free utility, G-SPOT, to tell you what you have with your source footage. THAT is what you need to choose a Preset that matches.

If your footage from your two sources do not match, then you will want to convert one, to match the other, and then choose a Preset that matches THAT by 100%.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I hide the background color?
                    mercguy Level 1

That problem seems to have corrected it's self.  It has something to do with opening with Photoshop first.  I do have a new question.  When I record narration it always fails to pick up the first few words?  Any suggestions?

Thank You,

Wayne Keller - Cell: 800-357-4020

Buy A Farm Land & Auction Co. LLC

PO Box 128, 1403 Hillcrest Drive

Sparta, Illinois 62286

Licensed Broker:  Illinois / Missouri

Managing Broker / Sparta, IL Office

Cell: 800-357-4020

Office: 618-443-1998

Fax: 618-443-2161

• 7. Re: How do I hide the background color?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Wayne,

When recording narration, I always do a "marker," first, such as "Berry Project, Sequence 11, Scene 3," and then go with the narration. I just trim out the marker.

I do not know if PrE has a Pre-Roll setting, but if so, you might want to bump that up. Audition and many other audio programs, with recording capabilities have both Pre-Roll and Post-Roll to insure a bit of silence at the end.

What equipment are you using? I wonder if there is some hardware latency involved, as that can cause the recording to get "clipped."

Good luck,

Hunt