• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator: how to import Corel Draw files?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2010 Sep 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Corel Draw file and I open it in Illustrator, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Seems no one answered this question. I found a solution....8 years later
Zamzar - video converter, audio converter, image converter, eBook converter
  Free converter for multiple file options that actually worked.

The free Cloudconvert convert anything to anything - CloudConvert  as mentioned before works too, but with limited output options.

The bigger questions is why anyone still uses Corel draw im sure its much better than when I used ti 20 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CS5, fyi, can open CorelDraw X5 and any previous versions, given that the file is not corrupted (not sure about Mac CorelDraw files though, just speaking from Windows experience).

But

CorelDraw X5 can only open up to Illustrator CS4 as far as I know, based on experiences with prior C.D. versions--it's usually one version less than the current Adobe version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, glad to see the import and export options on both programs have been updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. I have old CDR files from Corel Draw 11 that AI CS6 says are "unknown file" types and cannot be opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CS5 for MAC, I don't have Corew. I have no idea how the .cdr was saved, and I'm getting the same alert message as thejimmywalter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Draw file was saved with the compression option turned on, Illustrator cannot open it.

But as Scott said, anyone who tries to answer your post is just guessing. You haven't provided enough info.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok ok  you are right!

I use Corel Draw 12 and Illustrator CS3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you still haven't answered JETalmage's question of whether you are using compressed files (which until his post I was not even aware that CorelDraw was capable of that option for file saving) . . .

In normal cases you would simply use the Open command on the File menu to open CDR files which would then come into AI as "[converted]".  Any changes made to the file would be saved as Illustrator format.  But if you want to work with Corel afterwards then you would be sure to save in a lower version of AI that your version of Corel is capable of opening.  Otherwise you get a "unknown file type" error, or something to that effect.

-markerline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I was trying to import an AI14 file into Corel Draw X4 this morning and kept getting a corrupted file error.  This happens often when bringing in the AI files, but it's never consistent and sometimes error messages are different.  I went to the X4 Help menu, updated to Service Pack 2, and then the file imported perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was trying to describe with CDRaw and AI compatibility.  You needed the service pack from Corel in order for it to read the newer AI files.  Otherwise you would have only been able to open AI CS3 files and below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems no one answered this question. I found a solution....8 years later
Zamzar - video converter, audio converter, image converter, eBook converter
  Free converter for multiple file options that actually worked.

The free Cloudconvert convert anything to anything - CloudConvert  as mentioned before works too, but with limited output options.

The bigger questions is why anyone still uses Corel draw im sure its much better than when I used ti 20 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines