2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 12:17 AM by EntWebDS

After Effects Crashes when trying to replace footage

EntWebDS Level 1

I recently got a new PC and the new computer has drive letters assigned to removeable drives that used to point to where my files were stored.  When I try to replace the footage, After Effects crashes and does not give me any option to send a crash report.  I updated to 10.0.1.19 and updated my video card driver (which fixed a problem with OpenGL not registering), but it did not solve my issue.  I can include the crash details here:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: AfterFX.exe

Application Version: 10.0.1.19

Application Timestamp: 4c785da6

Fault Module Name: PIN.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4c785ba4

Exception Code: c000041d

Exception Offset: 00000000000635e5

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 5bba

Additional Information 2: 5bbaf7cb0c739be4571392021e7dd7af

Additional Information 3: 9e45

Additional Information 4: 9e45001b5e81db08a7f5aec534b583fa

I can also offer the following information:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Intel Core i7 860

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (latest driver installed)

1 TB Hard Drive

8GB DDR3 Memory

Any suggestions would be welcome.

• 1. Re: After Effects Crashes when trying to replace footage
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What CoDecs, framerates and resolutions are the footage items? Does the crash still occur, when you try to replace the source from a fixed drive? I suspect it's an issue with the media cache due to eitehr the performance of the external drives being poor or some more generic driver issues that cause mayhem with them.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects Crashes when trying to replace footage
            EntWebDS Level 1

Thanks for the insight.  "Performance of the external drives" was pretty close, I think.

I believe it was due to the fact that when I created the project, the files were located on an external drive "F".  My new system designated drive "F" as one of the built-in card reader slots.  AE did not want to replace the source from the card reader unless 1) there was a card in the slot and 2) the original file (or one with the same name at least) was on the card. I wasn't about to go through all that heartache and discontent (I was missing about 30 files, and the 1GB card was nowhere close to big enough to hold the 9GB of data), so I used the Disk Management utility to reassign the drive letters.  Luckily I have a couple of external drives - one to assign to the source "F" drive and another to be the new target "M".  There was some creative shuffling that had to happen to get the connections right, but it made AE happy.