5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 10:54 PM by Chris at JVC

Can't export to widescreen

thack1992 Level 1

I have a jvc everio sd camcorder, and the video files are in 720x480 widescreen.  I bring them into elements 8 and edit.  Then I drag it to the timeline and try to save it (export it) as widescreen and it comes out 4:3 ratio no matter what format i choose.  I had premiere pro previously, and all i had to do was interpret footage and it would go back to widescreen before editing.  There is a interpret footage button but i can't ever get the original file to do this.  The intrerpet footage button is grayed out.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Any Help pleaseeeee?

• 1. Re: Can't export to widescreen
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What project preset are you using?

Your project must exactly match your footage for things to work correctly

• 2. Re: Can't export to widescreen
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Am I experiencing deja vu (all over again), or is this a second post on the same subject? Sometimes, later at night, with my on-going wine tastings, I forget what forum I am in, and which threads I have responded to, but this one seems to be the same as another, recent thread... ?

In the Project Panel, Rt-click on the Clip, and you should have Interpret Footage. If it is grayed out, then something is definitely wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can't export to widescreen
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This thread, posted within a few hours of yours, deals with exactly the same issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/716038?tstart=0

And this one, also posted just a few hours before yours, deals with the same issue with JVC Everio files.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/716181?tstart=0

Must be a lot of it going around! (Though I'm actually a little surprised people are still buying Everios, considering the liabilities.)

• 4. Re: Can't export to widescreen
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you. I thought that I was having "flashbacks" from the Atlanta Pop Festival...

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't export to widescreen
                  Chris at JVC Level 1

Hi,

I work for JVC and would like to try and help.

To expand on Steve's post just a little, there is an easy fix if your SD Everio clips do not display in widescreen.  This is how I fixed the problem:

1.  Make sure you have selected a widescreen project preset.  Under Available Presets, choose NTSC>Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder>Widescreen 48kHz

2.  In the PE8 Task Panel, click on "Organize", and then "Project".

3.  Right click on the actual file, and select "Interpret Footage".

4.  Under "Pixel Aspect Ratio", select "Conform to:" and choose "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121).

According to the PE8 Help file, "You may occassionally encounter a  distorted clip if Adobe Premiere Elements interprets pixel aspect ratio  incorrectly; if this happens, you can correct the distortion by manually  specifying the source clip's pixel aspect ratio."

I hope that helps.

Chris