5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 3:37 PM by FunnyLady18

How do I tweek the quality of an avi that I've shared?

FunnyLady18

I made a 4 minute video, and the end result is a ridiculously large file. I tried messing with the quality of the avi setting, but it won't let me change anything. I want to know how to convert an 873 MB video into something closer to 40 MB. I am very new to this program and video editing in general, so I apologize if the answer to this question is absurdly simple. Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I tweek the quality of an avi that I've shared?
          nealeh Level 5

I think you must be sharing in DV-AVI format (approx 10-13GB per hour). Try using the MPEG format - this will compress to DVD quality.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I tweek the quality of an avi that I've shared?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, what you Share it as depends on WHERE you plan to share this file, FunnyGirl.

As Neale says, to share it on a disc, you want to create a DVD.

To share it online,  you'll most likely want to output a WMV or MOV.

There are also Share options in Premiere Elements for creating files for portable devices, like phones and iPods.

But if you plan to use the clip as part of another video or you plan to edit it later, an AVI is the best format to store it as.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I tweek the quality of an avi that I've shared?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Besides the great suggestions mentioned above, you also might want to explore the FLV option for Export/Share. It is commonly used for streaming video on Web sites, and is very compressed, yet offers pretty good quality. The limitation is that the recipient will need a player for the FLV, as it does not have a player embedded in the file, like its "cousin" SWF does. I recommend the free MediaPlayer Classic HC.

Another streaming option is to Export/Share with the DivX CODEC (the encoding system). The DivX CODEC is free, and when installed properly on the system, PrE can Export/Share to it. It employs heavy compression, and lower, but still good bit-rates, and is very popular. Again, the recipient will need that DivX CODEC, to decode the resultant file.

Just some more options, good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I tweek the quality of an avi that I've shared?
                FunnyLady18 Level 1

I went with the FLV, and it gave me the level of compression I was looking for. Thanks everyone! And just to clarify, you have no choices when it comes to quality other than picking the format? It's my understanding that you cannot tweek the default settings for an AVI or FLV.

• 5. Re: How do I tweek the quality of an avi that I've shared?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Quality vs file size vs playability for the greatest number of users is a mine field. No one format is perfect. None can address all considerations, and in the end, there will be compromises. Finding the one that offers the best combo can take some experimentation, and can also require some surveying, say talking to the IT department to see what players the workers will have available, and what platform the majority are on.

Glad that you found good common ground, and thank you for reporting.

Good luck,

Hunt