3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2006 11:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

help with CMS

mary callahan
      I've built a site in dreamweaver. It needs to be updated daily by various people in various locations-including home computers. I've been searching for a week for a content management system that can be edited through the web, has a great easy interface, inexpensive or free. It's not a big site but is for a nonprofit museum which broadcasts daily weather reports. They previously used ektron. I need something that will work for an existing site. I love the contribute interface but I need something that can be edited from the web. I am not a programmer. Mambo, from what I could understand works only with templates. Help!

thanks so much
        • 1. Re: help with CMS
          Level 7
          > I need something that will work for an existing site.

Nothing will really work for an existing site. All CMS packages will require
          that you redo the site to fit into the framework of the CMS.

> Mambo, from what I could understand works only with
          > templates.

Most off the shelf systems only work with templates. How restrictive those
          templates are varies quite a bit.

Nearly all the CMS products will require you to dive into the code to
          different degrees.

For many small sites, I'd suggest starting with WordPress and see if that
          can be made to work for you.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: help with CMS
            Level 7

"darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
            news:ebfr7p$8oe$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> I need something that will work for an existing site.
            >
            > Nothing will really work for an existing site. All CMS packages will
            > require that you redo the site to fit into the framework of the CMS.
            >

unless of course you build a database with various tables to hold your
            content and then create your own "admin" pages that allow the user to
            add/edit/delete said content.

• 3. Re: help with CMS
              Level 7
              > unless of course you build a database with various tables to hold your
              > content and then create your own "admin" pages that allow the user to
              > add/edit/delete said content.

...which requires that you rebuild your site. ;o)

True, the model is slightly reversed there, building the CMS to fit your
              particular visual layout.

-Darrel