5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 9:36 AM by areynoldsdh1

Inporting AI or EPS?

areynoldsdh1 Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to create a small banner advert in an old version of AE.  I am importing my files as AI files and then exporting the overall composition as a .MOV file.  The only problem is it looks a little washed out.  I then replaced all my components with the exact same files but saved as EPS files rather than AI, and exported it again as a .MOV file.  This time the end video file appears alot darker?  Neither AI or EPS version looks exactly as they do in Illustrator, is there a right or wrong way of doing this?  Or is there any settings I can change to help me out?

Many thanks,

Andy

• 1. Re: Inporting AI or EPS?
          areynoldsdh1 Level 1

The file looks fine in AE when using AI files, it's just when I export it as a .MOV when it looks washed out?

Thanks,

Andy

• 2. Re: Inporting AI or EPS?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

The term, "mov" simply indicates that you made a quicktime movie.  But you can use any number of different codecs to encode the movie within that quicktime container.  Can you tell us which codec you used?  It would also be VERY helpful to know the kind of platform you're working on.

Another thought:  this wouldn't happen to be a CMYK-RBG issue, would it?  AE only likes RGB.

• 3. Re: Inporting AI or EPS?
              areynoldsdh1 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.  To be honest, i'm pretty new to AE and I'm not sure what codec I am using??

I have narrowed the problem down though, and I now think it is a problem when I'm exporting rather than the AI or EPS problem.  I have since opened an old composition and re-exported an old composition.  I then compared this .mov to the original .mov I had from the last time I exported it, and the new one looks washed out?  It must be some sort of problem with the way I am exporting the file?

I am adding the file to the render que:

Setting my settings to best and exporting it with compression of H.264 which is what I have always done?  It's strange because as far as I know I haven't changed anything which would make this change?

All the files I'm using are RGB.

Thanks,

Andy

• 4. Re: Inporting AI or EPS?
                areynoldsdh1 Level 1

I'm not sure if this helps with the diagnosis of the problem but when I simply go to:

File:

Export

and select  .mov, this exports in its true colour.

The problem is only when I am adding it to the render que to export.

I have now have two versiosn:

Version A - Looks like the correct colour but has a file size of approx 5.5 mb (from File / Export)

Version B - Looks washed out but has a file size of approx 8mb. (from Adding to the render que)

I'm assuming that the Version B is slightly better quality as it is a bigger file size, but it is washed out.  When I exported the file by File / Export, I set all the settings as high as possible, but it still isn't as big a file size as the rendered version?

I need the quality of the file to be th best possible.

HELP!?

• 5. Re: Inporting AI or EPS?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

To be honest, i'm pretty new to AE and I'm not sure what codec I am using??

...Setting my settings to best and exporting it with compression of H.264 which is what I have always done?

H.264 is the codec of the quicktime you're making, and it always pains me when I read about people compressing to H.264. On the Creative COW, it's such a common mistake that I wrote a stock answer I can quickly cut & paste:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc.  AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

So what kind of file should you make?  I favor Quicktime's PNG or Animation codecs, because they're lossless.  To preserve the maximum quality possible, consider rendering an image sequence: TIFF, TGA or PNG image sequences are good choices.

And a little background on codecs would also be worthwhile reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec