2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 9:58 AM by deushache

What is the best project preset for screen captured video?

deushache Level 1

I'm using Microsoft Expression Encoder to do my screen captures and encoding them as Windows Media files using a VC-1 codec (I don't know anything about this codec specifically). Currently I'm using HDV-720P as my project preset. I'm trying to improve the quality of my final video without fully understanding how all the settings work together. When I encode the video I am trying to match every project setting I know how to control.

Here are the settings in Microsoft Encoder

Encode Settigns.PNG

I am sharing the final video as .mov and I have been reading the posts about difficulties with that format. Currently .mov is the format I need as it's not my choice.

• 1. Re: What is the best project preset for screen captured video?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, you are working with non-standard video footage. PrE does not allow one to customize the attributes, and only the included Presets (or perhaps some custom-written ones) can be used. PrE's "big-brother" offers a very special Preset, the Desktop, where one has the ability to adjust almost all attributes in the Preset.

One must match their Project Preset to the source footage 100%, or there will be issues.

There are two courses of action:

1.) use PrPro with the Desktop Preset, adjusted to match 100%

2.) convert the non-standard footage to a set of specs. that matches the existing Presets in PrE

One can explore writing their own Presets, and adding those to PrE. I will see if I can find the thread, that discusses doing so. Or, one can wait for PrE 9, and HOPE that Adobe has added the Desktop Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the best project preset for screen captured video?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is some DISCUSSION on custom Presets. Not sure how much detail is contained there, on writing one's custom Presets.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful