14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 2:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Importing/playing video creates red overlay

MyBlueSkiez

I just purchased Premiere Elements 8 and started importing videos.  I used the "GET MEDIA" icon to select my .MPEG-4 movie file types.  What I've noticed is some movies once imported, I can see an image of move and others are a completely red image.  So I took it a step further.  There were some videos that were imported that has a valid image once I dragged into the area where I can play the video and see it visually, I get a message "Videomerge:  Clip being dropped contains solid background color.  Do you want to apply Videomerge on this clip? YES/NO"  Clicking YES or NO to the message doesn't change the fact that once it's dropped, the image of the video is now a "fire engine" red.  I can play the video and hear audio but I just don't see the image at all.

The same thing happens with the videos that were imported that immediately has the red image, once I drag it into the area to visually see the video, I get the same message.  Keep in mind, I do have other videos still imported that I see the image of the video, I can drag it into the area to visually play the video and I am able to see visually and hear audio at the same time.

So I looked into why are some videos creating this red overaly and others aren't.  So I checked a some forums and found the following:

(these I've enabled and disabled -- this did not work)

--Enable GPU Playback

--Background Rendering

So I then looked at specifically at the file:

--The ones that worked, had a .MPEG-4 file size of 640 x 480 VGA @ 30fps

--The ones that didn't work, had a .MPEG-4 file size of 1280 x 720 (Standard)  Appox. 6Mbps @ 30fps OR 1280 x 720 (Fine) Approx. 9 Mbps @ 30fps

Majority of my files are 1280 x 720 (Fine) Approx. 9 Mbps @ 30fps

Is there an actual limitation on file size?

NOTE:  My files are uploaded from a compact digital point and shoot camera that I upload to my laptop.  Also, I have done the 8.0.1 update.

Can anyone help me on this?  Not sure what setting I need to be able to view these files?

• 1. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First a few questions:

1.) which Project Presets are you using for each of your two different source footage types? The Project Preset MUST match the source footage 100%, or there will be problems. If you are either up-rezzing, or down-rezzing your footage, you will do far better off, if you do so before Import. With mixed footage, you must either convert one, or do two separate Projects, each with the correct Project Preset. Which are you doing?

2.) have you updated your video driver to the very latest from either the nVidia, or the ATI Web site? What is the make/model of your video card?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
            MyBlueSkiez Level 1

1.) which Project Presets are you using for each of your two  different source footage types?

--I have tried all 4 options under the following:  NTSC - Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders AND PAL - Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

--I even tried random options under DV and HDV for NTSC and PAL; but got the same results

--The project originally had the same file sizes where they were all red; so I started choosing some of my older videos where I found it showed correctly.

2.) have you updated your video driver to the  very latest from either the nVidia, or the ATI Web site? What is the  make/model of your video card?

--The only thing I've done was update the driver from my computer; I didn't go to the website.  Here is what I have:

--NVIDIA GetForce 8600M GT driver date 6/16/09

• 3. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
              nealeh Level 5

Update that graphics driver ASAP. It was around September 2009 that Nvidia released a driver that trashed PRE. Update it here: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers.On a historical note, the reason I know that so well is that I joined these forums on 12th Sep 2009 because my PRE7 kept crashing whenever I went to Transitions - the nvidia drivers were identified the cause of the fault.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                MyBlueSkiez Level 1

PRE is not crashing....some videos play fine while others are in red.

• 5. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MyBlueSkiez

I recall being down this road before.

I will dig out the information and report back. But, did you mention the Brand and Model for the camcorder that is recording this video? If not, please supply that information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I would still follow Neale's advice. An obsolete video driver will cause more than crashes. All sorts of display and playback issues can occur.

NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, like PrE and PrPro, will interface with that video driver more closely, than almost any other programs, that you can have on your computer. Just a simple OS update, or hot-fix, can render a video (or audio) driver instantly obsolete. Users get a false sense of security, as most other programs will function perfectly, but not the NLE.

I can make no guarantees that the new nVidia driver will solve the issue, but it would be the first step to insure that you are up to date.

The second will be the updating of Apple's QT Player. Even if one does not have MOV, or similar Apple formats, PrE works very closely with QT Player for other playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                      MyBlueSkiez Level 1

The camera I use:  Sony DSC-TX1 (digital compact point and shoot) -- movie files are formatted as .MPEG-4

• 8. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                        MyBlueSkiez Level 1

My QuickTime is updated:  QuickTime 7.6.7(1675)

If I do get a new video driver, how do I determine which to get?  I went to the site and there were a long list of drivers...BTW, my driver was not on that list, but I'm not sure if that means my driver is obsolete or not...

• 9. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That camera MAY be similar to the ones listed below... at least read to see if something helps

Flip or GoPro video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0
                          - And http://forums.adobe.com/thread/668369?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

MyBlueSkiez

Thanks for the information on the camera.

Right now you have a video file (1280 x 720) with the file extension of .mp4. Right click the file on the hard drive, select rename, and rename just the file extension from .mp4 to .mov. Then import the .mov file into Premiere Elements with its Get Media/Files and Folders. That should take care of your red video. You have said that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed so you should be OK.

It is after midnight where I am, so I will check to see how you did in the light of day.

I will also fill you in on the history of this which targets the 1280 x 720 mp4 but not the 640 x 480 mp4 which is in accord with what you have posted.

ATR

Add On...I would hold off on getting a new video driver.

• 11. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

MyBlueSkiez

The renaming of your video file extension from .mp4 to .mov (non re-encoding route) should have worked nicely to solve your problem. You could go the re-encoding route with MPEG Streamclip, but I prefer the quicker, easier, and effective renaming of the file extension.

I mentioned being down this road before. That was via troubleshooting for APK at this forum and at Elements  Village, the forum that I frequent. There is a lot of reading material there which is offered as some history on the matter. You may not have time to read it all and how it evolved. It is interesting reading if you do have the time. The important thing is that you should have an easy remedy for your situation with the 1280 x 720 mp4 video and its bright red frames.

Nov. 2009

APK’s thread at Elements  Village

Premiere Elements 8 Question

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52004&page=3

APK’s thread here

Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 Video Problem

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2477351#2477351

Hope some of this helped.

ATR

• 12. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                                MyBlueSkiez Level 1

ATR,

Thank you so much for your response.....I skimmed through the adobe forum link and it appeared to be very similar to my situation.

Here is what I've done:

1.  Took file size 1280 X 720 A.mp4 and imported into the PRE 8

2.  Video was red; only audio I could hear

3.  Deleted the video from workspace

4.  Changed the file A.mp4 to A.mov

5.  Imported the video into the workspace

6.  I could actually see the image from the video; even tried to play and it did!  SUCCESS!!!

7.  Went a bit futher and created a 30 sec new video 1280 x 720 mp4

8.  Changed the file extention from file B.mp4 to B.mov

9.  Imported the video into the workspace

10. Got the following error

-----Upon importing:  "Add Media Failure:  The importer reported a generic error" OK

-----When attempting the play the file outside of PRE 8:  "Error:  Error 2048: Couldn't open the file B.mov because it is not a file that QuickTime understands"

-----This error still occurs when I changed file extension from MP4 to: mov, qt & avi

Is there anything wrong in the steps I've done.  Obviously, I did work the first time around...

• 13. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                                  nealeh Level 5

Your graphics driver is very out of date (nvidia release updates every month). Fill in the boxes as shown, selecting  64bit or 32 bit as appropriate. Before installation create a system restore point.

vid1.png

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Importing/playing video creates red overlay
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MyBlueSkiez

Thanks for the follow up. Let us see if we can figure out what happened in part 2 of your testing.

What did you do here when you said:

"7.  Went a bit futher and created a 30 sec new video 1280 x 720 mp4"

You had your source media on the Timeline, and it was displaying and playing correctly with its .mov file extension instead of .mp4 one. What did you do after that to create your "30 sec new video 1280 x 720.mp4"?

Are you saying that you recorded a new 30 second video (1280 x 720.mp4) with your camera, renamed the file extension from .mp4 to .mov, tried to import this new footage into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, and got the Premiere Elements Importer Error?

If so, I have two things for you to try after you inspect the renaming of the files involved:

a. go back to the 1280 x 720.mov that you obtained from the original 1280 x 720.mp4 footage and determine if you can still import that in Premiere Elements

if so, then...

b. try to import this new 30 second 1280 x 720.mp4 WITHOUT changing the file extension and see if it imports without error, but gives red frames.

and

c. try one more time to rename the file extension of the 30 second 1280 x 720.mp4 to the .mov version and determine if that will import into Premiere Elements 8.

There are times when changing the file extension (non re-coding method) does not work and you are forced into video format conversion, such as that using MPEG Streamclip. BUT, if this file extension change worked BEFORE as a remedy for the 1280 x 720.mp4 video, it should work for additional footage of this type from that same camera.

Let us try to sort out the details of the 1st and 2nd tests.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

I forgot if I asked...do you have the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch) installed...and are you running Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 with Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer featured turned OFF...it will make the program performance easier to work with. I believe that you are experiencing a known Premiere Elements 8.0 Importer issue for .mp4 as discussed in the links that I provided.