5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 5:58 AM by Steve Grisetti

Is there a way to pre-render clips?

imsam67 Level 1

Hi,

I'm shooting Full HD 1080 on my camcorder and when I import the clips into PrE, it takes forever for it to render them -- on an i7 computer w/ 12 GB of memory.

Is there a way for me to import my clips and pre-render all of them at once so that as I create projects, they're already rendered and I can work comfortably with them?

Thanks,

Sam

• 1. Re: Is there a way to pre-render clips?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DV-AVI and HDV footage do not need to be rendered in Premiere Elements until you add effects or transitions to them.

The easiest solution is to convert your AVCHD footage to HDV footage and import it into an HDV project, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Is there a way to pre-render clips?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sam,

As Steve points out, if your source footage matches you Project Preset 100%, there should be no need to Render, until you do something like add an Effect, Transition, overlay Title, etc. If your source footage is coming in with a red line above the Clips, then something does not match. When that mis-match is addressed, things will be much smoother.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Is there a way to pre-render clips?
              imsam67 Level 1

Steve, Bill thank you very much for your responses.

From Steve's response, I take it that there's no way around rendering clips because my camcorder shoots in AVCHD -- not that I completely understand it yet.

After Bill's last response to my question, I switched to 30fps -- I was shooting 24fps before -- in order to bring the camcorder more inline with the software but if I understand you correctly, there's no way around rendering in PrE 8 because I'm working on AVCHD -- unless of course, I don't mind working with choppy video. Of course, the option is to convert my footage first -- as Steve suggested.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks,

Sam

• 4. Re: Is there a way to pre-render clips?
                imsam67 Level 1

Steve,

I just downloaded and installed the free converter. Which option is the HDV option?

Under Output Format, I see:

3g2

3gp

Avi

Mp4

Mpeg1

Mpeg2

OggTheora

Ps2

Psp

(I left out the ones I knew were not the ones)

Also, my input files if full HD (1920 x 1080). Should I convert change that too or leave it alone?

Thanks again,

Sam

• 5. Re: Is there a way to pre-render clips?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's right, Sam. Even if you use the correct project settings, you will ALWAYS need to render AVCHD before you work with it. Converting it to the HDV format and using it in an HDV project will save you that work.

Sam, the FAQ I linked you to tells you everything I know about doing the conversion. As you can see, it was written by Paul Scrivener, not be. But here are the specs he recommends in the FAQ:

According tp Paul Scrivener, you should up the bit rate to 25000kb/s and convert, and it will export 1920x1080 MPEG2.

Your output file, then, should have a suffix of either MPEG, M2T or maybe MTS.

Beyond that, someone else who's actually used the program will have to respond. If no one on this forum can help you, you'll very likely find your answer at the Community forum on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.